User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
wswartzwel OP
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
First ride on a new bike is always special

Even though my birthday was close to 50 years ago.... I feel like a kid at Christmas right now. Thats right a new motorcycle.... Not sure what it is about a new motorcycle, but any time I get a new bike, there is a sense of excitement that is hard to hide. When i was a young man, I worked for a dealership. Every year I bought a new bike. My girlfriend knew that was part of my life, and she actually liked riding with me... So she became my wife. Over the years, kids started showing up in our household... They became expensive... and well, I wasn't buying new bikes every year anymore.

Kids are getting older now... College scholarships help pay for their room and board, under a roof that is not mine.... and with only the boy left at home, I have a bit more freedom with the cashola.... So.. I scratched an itch that has been bugging me since last week. I don't think it was poison ivy... but when my son and I were out riding with friends in Colorado I had the opportunity to ride a KTM690 Enduro R..... It felt a lot like my old 450EXC but when you pin the throttle all hell breaks loose. Drifting around corners on gravel roads, with the steering at full lock is childs play on this thing.. Wheelies... pick a gear, any gear... Well balanced chassis, and taught suspension make the 690 one of the best off road play bikes I have ever ridden.... So I sold my overweight, Dakar... which was a hard decision. I had spent a lot of time going through it, and making it into a great adventure bike. But it was just not going to ever be a woods bike.
5 minutes after I had the check in my hand, I made the call to the KTM dealer.. My insurance agent.. and my wife to inform her that our Friday date night had been changed... Instead of going to listen to the smooth jazz band.. We would be making a quick trip to Little Rock. She has a way of showing support for me and being excited about stuff... that I doubt interest her... She just loves me I guess.

I hooked my my GPS.. and stuffed my essentials in my Camelback... and told the son to be up by 9:00 Sat am because we were going riding!!!
After stuffing tire tools, air compressor, KTM tool bag... and the hydration pack.. there was no room for a camera. I don't have a tank bag yet that will fit the KTM.... So I will have to make do with the old Iphone camera for this trip. No bitching about the quality of the pics

Our first stop was up on Petit Jean.. Today's weather was unseasonably cool and the ride was quite pleasant.

We headed west and stopped for gas in Centerville. Continued on until I saw a little road I had never been on before... Started out paved, then became gravel and took us to Spring Lake.

Oh by the way.. until the child like excitement wears off.. be prepared to see the 690 in most all of my pictures... Wonder if I can get it into our next family portrait for the Christmas cards this year???

Spring lake...

We ended up on some roads I knew from years ago, we played a little bit on the ATV trail system...

and came out on Mt Magazine by Shirleys Outback. Great place to eat, if you are ever up that way... We were headed for Oark though, for grub today... It was now well past noon, so we took 309 north to Ozark... Got sprinkled on just a bit... Then the sun came out and the temps began to rise. Sat in road construction for 15 minutes, on hwy 23... then finally made it to Oark

for todays special around 2:00 pm.

By now it was getting pretty hot outside... and I knew I had a 5 hour job waiting for me when I got back home.. So we took the most direct route home. This turned out to be a decent ride, with nice scenery and cooler temps in the higher eleations. as I look at the scenery i was reminded how pretty Arkansas is.. and that trips to Colorado may be nice once in a while.. but I am not sure I will be going every year... I want to do more exploring at home, and up in the Mark Twain Nat. Forest in Missouri.

about a 300 mile day....

The KTM did everything I wanted.. and did it with pizazz... It will roost rocks as far back as I can see in the mirrors... Eats up rough trails, and will tour down the highway... Although I will be ordering a different seat. :) My son seemed to have a great time too... and spending time with him is worth far more than what I paid for the bike....

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,323
Sweet!
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
Sparrow from hell
As your attorney...

Oddometer: 1
First of all, congratulations on your new bike! It really looks awesome.

Great pictures as well, looks like lots of fun.
Sparrow from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Celtazon
Enigma

Oddometer: 402
Congrats on the new arrival!

Were ya'll at the Clayton Dual sport last year? Think I recognize.....
Celtazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
wswartzwel OP
Unsafe at any speed

Not last year... I did meet some guys from OKC a few years back at Devils Den... Pratt and some of his friends.. if you were part of that group. Maybe I have a generic face.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 08-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
ckcarr
Desert Dweller

Oddometer: 49
50................................................ .........................................50

Great report. Lots of good pictures too. Although they have an orange colorcast to them!

That is one sharp bike! Lean and hungry looking.

Generic face. I thought Rob did, or... wait now I'm confused... I am at the Harley rally after all...

BMW F800GS BMW R1100S Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDX
ckcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Outlander2188
Ready to plunder

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel

What a cool shot! Grats on your new bike!
Outlander2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

Oddometer: 1,077
So jealous.

I won't be selling my Dakar but I've been wanting some (more) orange in my garage and the TT500 isn't enough.

Are you ready for a ride over Maroon Pass at next year's TOR?
'Rett Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
wswartzwel OP
Unsafe at any speed

As long as I don't freeze from fear of heights... I am good for any of the CO. passes...

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Nail24
Lighten up this is Fun

Oddometer: 56
Bill, that iphone seems to do just fine as a sub. Is the bike 690cc?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
wswartzwel OP
Unsafe at any speed

yes

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 08-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
schweet. maybe now you can get over Schofield a bit easier than on the R11?

Life is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid.- John Wayne

2009 F800GS
2001 R1100S
bikerfish1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Beautiful Bike!

(Oh, how I hate you sometimes *grin*)
ErricZ is offline   Reply With Quote