Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
D was taking a beating in the dump bed of the side-by-side but was taking video much of the time - (D please post!)

BJ was 100% confident in his abilities to extract the bike and I never once lost faith in him. Watching a man who knows how to use a winch is like poetry in motion. While BJ and D got the straps ready, I climbed all the way to the river and managed to find my dry bag with $200 worth of gear inside. I got all my stuff to the top when my inflatable mattress tumbled all the way back down and into the river. "If that's the only thing I lose, I'll be lucky" I thought.

5Chord screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 06:37 PM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

D climbed down to help with getting the bike strapped up. The process went rather quickly as the 4000lb winch on the Kubota dragged the 550lb plus GS up the mountside

Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

A few more pics

Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #19
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Now that is was up, what do we do now?........."I think it'll run!" BJ said loooking at the relatively light damage on the bike. "umm we don't have a key" I said. Never expecting the bike to be ride-able, and definitely not feeling good about a nearly-dark trail ride on my already beat up GS, I didn't think about bringing keys or a helmet until that moment. "You forgot your keys?!?!" BJ said.."Sorry man" I said sheepishly. I still wonder if he thought I could ride it out or he was just busting my balls.

5Chord screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 06:38 PM
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #20
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

We needed to get the bike in the bed of the Kubota. We lowered the bed, got the bike next to the truck and cranked the bike onto the truck without much drama at all. It was now 9:00pm. We drove out to the pick up without incident, although I got out and walked a few times as the edge of the tires got within an inch or two of the ravine.

Before we knew it we were back at the pick up, ratcheting the Kubota (with the beemer on the bed) on the trailer

5Chord screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 10:39 AM
Old 08-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #21
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,416
I bet the bike ran fine once you got the keys, huh?

I'd say that firefighter's association deserves a nice little donation and a letter to their local paper!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #22
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast
I bet the bike ran fine once you got the keys, huh?

I'd say that firefighter's association deserves a nice little donation and a letter to their local paper!
It started up and ran like nothing happened. I'm 90% sure I could have taken her on the Adventure Ride Saturday and that was only the beginning of the FD hospitality
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #23
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

We made quite a scene when we arrived back at Fireman's Field. A chorus of "Oh Man!!" "That must suck!" and "Holy Shit" went on as we (with the help of a fork-lift) unloaded the bike onto it's side-stand. I retrieved the keys and sure enough it started right up. I drove it over to the gate and began to pile up my belongings near the bike. I slipped BJ a $100 bill and shook his hand. I wanted to give him a hug but I'd never get my arms even halfway around his huge frame and he didn't look like the hugging type.

Elroy came over and seemed unimpressed (like it happens every day, which it kinda does) with the retrieval and told me he had arranged a backup plan if the Kubota failed to bring it back. When I asked BJ about it he said: "We retrieve dozens of dirt bikes out of the woods every month out here, but your the first street bike I ever took off the mountain that deep in. It was the worst extraction I've done in awhile."

Our plan now was to set up the tent, go get something to eat and get drunk! Good plan

"FUCK!" There were no poles in the tent bag. I had lent the tent to a friend who somehow forgot to put the poles in the bag. Uh oh. Elroy overheard us and had someone set up an easy-up tent for us and gave us two cots. Then he asked a friend to drive us to get McDonalds (the only place open). THEN he wouldn't take our money for camping (it was $10) as "we had enough to deal with" for one day.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #24
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

While I'm no fan of Mcdonalds, I pigged out on a Big Mac and Filet -O-fish, fries and coke. It tasted like fillet Mignon. Poor D had it worse as he's a vegetarian and had a salad and fries. Shortly after getting back we ventured on foot into town to search for more food.

I had a bottle of wine and two (plastic) wine glasses which survived the 300' tumble to the river edge and we celebrated our survival with a glass each as we walked to town. As luck would have it Johnny Law drove by, did a quick U-turn, pulled up to us and said "We have an open-container law in this town" I apologized profusely and asked if I could just dump it out. After a pause, he said "OK" and don't ever do it again. We promised we wouldn't and the crotchety old coot drove off. He immediately went to Fireman's Field and complained about us to Elroy.

We were about 4 feet from the door of a local tavern and entered. It was literately the only place open and last hope for food. It was a throwback to the 50's and the bar stools were at least that old. An old barmaid asked us what we wanted, in a not overly friendly but not mean voice. I ordered two draft beers and corn chips for D.......$1.25 each for the drafts! We had two each and made our way back to town.

D crashed and I hung with Elroy for a short time before going to sleep around 1:30am. I slept like a rock. It rained briefly but we stayed dry. I was up shortly after dawn (YAWN) and got some coffee. They had quite a breakfast for the hungry! From pancakes to biscuits and gravy with good coffee too! D got up and registered for the Adventure ride, and pieced together his route and put it in the route holder. When I asked about his expertise in getting it together he told me he did a dry run....I was impressed!

5Chord screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 12:03 PM
Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #25
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Glad things turned out well!
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #26
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

The sound of dual sport bikes was everywhere.....There was a line of people waiting for Tech inspections and the mandatory 8am meeting was about to begin..

Old 08-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #27
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

D was ready to go. At the last minute we hooked up the helmet cam I brought to use and made sure it was working before saying goodbye. Sadly it took a 3Gb file that was corrupt.

5Chord screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 05:26 PM
Old 08-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #28
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

After D and all the bikes left it got very quiet. I was able to get to a power outlet and charge my phone. I started stripping off all the broken bits and assessing the damage on the beemer. I then started it up and went into town. My girlfriend was now on the way trailer in tow and I could relax. I ate some food and chatted with a very nice guy at a fly fishing store and promised to come back and take lessons.

It was a bright sunny day with nothing to do but wait for my girl to come. A guy who was working on his WR-250 offered me a beer and we chatted a bit. A lot of guys including D, came back to the field before lunch.

The guys from Bergan County BMW were back too.They had a sponsor tent there. I had tried to talk to them earlier and I walked over and asked if they'd like to do the insurance work on the bike. As luck would have it, they told me they would take the bike straight back to the dealership, saving me hours of drama and having to load it on my trailer and take it home.

Shortly afterward, my girl arrived and we loaded up and left. I was not able to say goodbye to BJ and Elroy and was sad. I realize by posting this I put myself in a position that could be risky from a couple different perspectives, but I do it because the Hancock VFD is a no-bullshit organization that gets what has to be done, done. I Salute you BJ and Elroy

Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #29
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,264
This should be in Day Trippin', not Face Plant.

There's some really funny stuff in here.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #30
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,798
When did the SPOT helichoppter show up?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote