Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #46
classyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
A beating is an understatement! I was bouncing up and down like a pogo stick, and a couple of times I was almost ejected and I was afraid I was being catapulted down the hill just like Todd! I needed my body armor as much as on that ride!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord
D was taking a beating in the dump bed of the side-by-side but was taking video much of the time - (D please post!)

BJ was 100% confident in his abilities to extract the bike and I never once lost faith in him. Watching a man who knows how to use a winch is like poetry in motion. While BJ and D got the straps ready, I climbed all the way to the river and managed to find my dry bag with $200 worth of gear inside. I got all my stuff to the top when my inflatable mattress tumbled all the way back down and into the river. "If that's the only thing I lose, I'll be lucky" I thought.

classyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #47
classyd
Adventurer

It took an hour! The bike just would not move up the #$%#$% hill because it kept getting stuck on rocks etc. We ended up having to keep it upright while TJ pulled it up. I was more than a little concerned it would just tip over and bury me under it while I was desperately trying to maintain some traction and balance on the steep hill!
Quote:
D climbed down to help with getting the bike strapped up. The process went rather quickly as the 4000lb winch on the Kubota dragged the 550lb plus GS up the mountside

Old 08-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #48
classyd
Adventurer

You couldn't have paid me to ride out a bike that went over a cliff and crashed into a tree down that trail in the dark. Sorry, we all have our limits. It's good you "forgot" those keys, and I made a point not to remind you...
Quote:
Now that is was up, what do we do now?........."I think it'll run!" BJ said loooking at the relatively light damage on the bike. "umm we don't have a key" I said. Never expecting the bike to be ride-able, and definitely not feeling good about a nearly-dark trail ride on my already beat up GS, I didn't think about bringing keys or a helmet until that moment. "You forgot your keys?!?!" BJ said.."Sorry man" I said sheepishly. I still wonder if he thought I could ride it out or he was just busting my balls.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #49
classyd
Adventurer

I forgive you for inconveniencing me by going down that hill, but you REALLY should have checked the fucking tent!;-)
Quote:
We made quite a scene when we arrived back at Fireman's Field. A chorus of "Oh Man!!" "That must suck!" and "Holy Shit" went on as we (with the help of a fork-lift) unloaded the bike onto it's side-stand. I retrieved the keys and sure enough it started right up. I drove it over to the gate and began to pile up my belongings near the bike. I slipped BJ a $100 bill and shook his hand. I wanted to give him a hug but I'd never get my arms even halfway around his huge frame and he didn't look like the hugging type.

Elroy came over and seemed unimpressed (like it happens every day, which it kinda does) with the retrieval and told me he had arranged a backup plan if the Kubota failed to bring it back. When I asked BJ about it he said: "We retrieve dozens of dirt bikes out of the woods every month out here, but your the first street bike I ever took off the mountain that deep in. It was the worst extraction I've done in awhile."

Our plan now was to set up the tent, go get something to eat and get drunk! Good plan

"FUCK!" There were no poles in the tent bag. I had lent the tent to a friend who somehow forgot to put the poles in the bag. Uh oh. Elroy overheard us and had someone set up an easy-up tent for us and gave us two cots. Then he asked a friend to drive us to get McDonalds (the only place open). THEN he wouldn't take our money for camping (it was $10) as "we had enough to deal with" for one day.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #50
Martincito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Hi,
I was talking with you Saturday morning and you told me about your bike falling down on a cliff close to Equinunk. In the afternoon I ended up riding at the same road and I couldn't stop thinking about falling down the cliff. I was so paranoid that I kept riding all the time on the left side. Sometimes the right lane was better without rocks but I was always choosing the rocky left side and saying to myself "remember the guy that fell down here". It was a very narrow road for our piggy GS's.
S1000RR 2011
Martincito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #51
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martincito
Hi,
I was talking with you Saturday morning and you told me about your bike falling down on a cliff close to Equinunk. In the afternoon I ended up riding at the same road and I couldn't stop thinking about falling down the cliff. I was so paranoid that I kept riding all the time on the left side. Sometimes the right lane was better without rocks but I was always choosing the rocky left side and saying to myself "remember the guy that fell down here". It was a very narrow road for our piggy GS's.
I'm glad you didn't suffer the same fate!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #52
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyd
I forgive you for inconveniencing me by going down that hill, but you REALLY should have checked the fucking tent!;-)
Sorry D Thanks for your perspectives
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #53
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,749
good to hear your ok and the bike is fixable

now when you get a chance can we talk about SPOT?!?

you, me and many others on this site have one. so you pushed 911. did it start glowing neon orange. wait it already is neon orange.

can you follow up with SPOT and see what happened? know you were busy and all but can you figure out the time it took for a call to go out to your point of contacts? what are you paying for subscription wise, just basic?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #54
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
good to hear your ok and the bike is fixable

now when you get a chance can we talk about SPOT?!?

you, me and many others on this site have one. so you pushed 911. did it start glowing neon orange. wait it already is neon orange.

can you follow up with SPOT and see what happened? know you were busy and all but can you figure out the time it took for a call to go out to your point of contacts? what are you paying for subscription wise, just basic?
I'm disappointed with SPOT to say the least. Last year, I knew that my off-road obsession would lead to something like this, so when my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday (Nov '09), I thought a SPOT tracker would be a great present. It sat in my drawer unused until I activated it in anticipation of the Hancock Quarry Run last week.

I paid $100 for the subscription and found an online coupon for the $50 tracking subscription so it didn't cost anything for that. I took it outside and tested it with an OK signal and it showed up on my Shared Page which I set up as well.

Friday morning I activated it in Tracking Mode and took off. Here's my Tracks: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...GjyzQsMoZCkPXB

When I climbed to the top of the embankment after the crash, I set off the 911 signal. All the lights indicated that the signal was sent and continued to send. While they received the 911 signal, the last tracking message had us in Barrysville NY. We were in fact in (near) Equinon PA, 37 miles north just 6 miles from Hancock. There was no one dispatched as they had no idea where we were.

They did manage to scare the daylights out of my girlfriend and father and they left an (un-returned) message on my phone as well. It took them over an hour after the signal to call them.

I plan on using it in the NJ Pine Barrens for the remainder of the subscription and then sell it on ebay for $10

5Chord screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 07:10 AM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #55
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,749
Quote:

snip

When I climbed to the top of the embankment after the crash, I set off the 911 signal. All the lights indicated that the signal was sent and continued to send. While they received the 911 signal, the last tracking message had us in Barrysville NY. We were in fact in (near) Equinon PA, 37 miles north just 6 miles from Hancock. There was no one dispatched as they had no idea where we were.

snip

37 miles, not good. If the position of the SPOT is same as in your first pic of this thread while you are riding. That is the issue. AFIK, and it is a design flaw in my opinion. The antenna lies horizontally to the buttons on the unit, under the SPOT logo. Best reception is with the logo facing skyward. of course the supplied mounting clip does not support that position. If you had it attached like in the pic, you were sending and looking for signals directly behind you.

that last sentence makes no sense. you were at the other end of the transmission, no?!? if it sent a signal, it did, they called your contacts. you were at or near where that signal was received from. to not dispatch was ridiculous and you should follow up with that. they should have been looking 37 miles away then where the tracking page shows you had been or were.

just got off phone with SPOT customer service. can you give more details on after you pushed the 911 button please. i was told and it says on the unit if you push it again you cancel the 911 call.

so 911 button does not auto inform our contacts. i could see why. it would look bad if our contacts rallied a search party before the company we are paying to do it does.

rthuey screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 08:59 AM
rthuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #56
El Santo
Enmascarado de Plata

Oddometer: 60
Hey Tod, glad to know you're OK!!! What an adeventure!!! I really wish I could have made it out there with you this weekend. We need to practice on the big bikes. Im going to UNADILLA this weekend, but what about the one after that? Hope you get your bike back really quick!!!

Juan
Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #57
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
37 miles, not good. If the position of the SPOT is same as in your first pic of this thread while you are riding. That is the issue. AFIK, and it is a design flaw in my opinion. The antenna lies horizontally to the buttons on the unit, under the SPOT logo. Best reception is with the logo facing skyward. of course the supplied mounting clip does not support that position. If you had it attached like in the pic, you were sending and looking for signals directly behind you.

that last sentence makes no sense. you were at the other end of the transmission, no?!? if it sent a signal, it did, they called your contacts. you were at or near where that signal was received from. to not dispatch was ridiculous and you should follow up with that. they should have been looking 37 miles away then where the tracking page shows you had been or were.

just got off phone with SPOT customer service. can you give more details on after you pushed the 911 button please. i was told and it says on the unit if you push it again you cancel the 911 call.

so 911 button does not auto inform our contacts. i could see why. it would look bad if our contacts rallied a search party before the company we are paying to do it does.
I was still transmitting the 911 but not with any location info 1 1/2 hours later. I'm not sure of the technology behind the worthless orange piece of crap, but it's not pure GPS. My girlfriend told me I had to turn the unit off for a few minutes and then back on to cancel the 911 as per the SPOT people. In other words they were still getting the 911 signal, but had no idea where I was. They asked HER if she knew where I was.

My theory is that the SPOT lost the tracking signal at way point 17 on the map when we started under a heavy tree canopy. After the crash D got a fix on our position with his hiking GPS, but it took 5-10 minutes to get locked on. I kept the SPOT on my back pack.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #58
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Santo
Hey Tod, glad to know you're OK!!! What an adeventure!!! I really wish I could have made it out there with you this weekend. We need to practice on the big bikes. Im going to UNADILLA this weekend, but what about the one after that? Hope you get your bike back really quick!!!

Juan
Me tooo man! Have a great time at Unadilla and tell Bubba I said hi:-) I'm going after him in 2012 ;-)
Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #59
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulo
i have been many times down similar trails and learned my lesson at the beginning of spring, although my experience was nowhere as bad as yours it was enough for me to realize that once the trail gets that rough its better to just turn around.
Where's your ADV post???
Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #60
hazard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Spot is really not a true emergency beacon.

So spot uses GPS, then low earth satellites to send a "Page" to the Spot system. Both of these have limitations if you do not have good view of the sky, and both have to work together to be effective. If you want a real emergency beacon, you need to pay the $$$.

With that said, I have used mine many times in Mexico and remote parts of CA to let friends and family know kind of where I am and it basically kind of worked.

However with partial information, people may freak. I got a call from my friend while in Mexico to see if I was OK. Why, cause the last location had the bike 1 miles from any town for many hours, then just stopped reporting. What he did not realize is my bike was parked at the tunnel entrance to Catorce until they allowed bike traffic to enter. Once in town, I turned spot off and continued to enjoy the old silver mining town. He was convinced I was being tortured by Mexican drug lords for my ATM or whatever was the hysteria that week about Mexico.

Point is, SPOT is OK, but I would not want my life to depend on it.

PS, did not mean to turn this into a SPOT thread, and glad you are OK.

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
hazard is offline   Reply With Quote