Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #61
c5babe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I got stuck on a freeway down in Kentucky with a broken chain. My cell phone was deadder 'n dirt. After waiting for an hour to see if a police officer would come by, I finally pushed the "help" button. My husband and daughter both got the message on their phone and computers. They looked up my location on the computer and called the nearest sheriff's office. Within 45 minutes, I was back on my way, very satisfied with SPOT. I'll always carry it, but I do know it's limitations. I carry it horizontally, either on my bike or on my arm in a velcro pouch.
c5babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #62
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,807
I'm not sure it was appropriate to send a emergency signal. You were not injured and your location and situation were known by your partner with transportation. Also after pushing the button, you left the scene of the accident. You were in a pickle for sure with the bike, but certainly not a emergency that justified dispatching rescuers into the woods to look for you.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #63
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,736
911 button?!

i guess i'm going to have to be the bad guy here and question your decision to hit the emergency button on your SPOT device.

don't get me wrong, i'm glad everything turned out well. i'm just wondering if you considered (at the time or after) if you really needed a helicopter (or any public safety agency) rescue.

1. you were not seriously hurt.

2. you were not alone, and your partner's bike and body were still fine.

3. you had camping gear with you, so getting stuck there until daylight would not have killed you.

4. you hit the emergency button, then left the area. what do you think would have happened if the SPOT service worked and rescuers arrived at the location and found your bike but not you?

does SPOT include some kind of rescue insurance? have you looked into that issue? i just did a google search and it turns out these issues are discussed online by climbers and whitewater rafters and other "adventurers."

it seems like in some cases people can be charged (thousands of dollars) for initiating a rescue effort. and i'm guessing that's even more likely to happen if the rescue team feels that the initial call was not really worthy of the effort.

don't take this as a personal attack. i'm just wondering if people think about the consequences of initiating an emergency call.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #64
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten
I'm not sure it was appropriate to send a emergency signal. You were not injured and your location and situation were known by your partner with transportation. Also after pushing the button, you left the scene of the accident. You were in a pickle for sure with the bike, but certainly not a emergency that justified dispatching rescuers into the woods to look for you.
+1
i was just writing my post with the same points, hit "submit reply" and saw your post.

an article about charging people for rescue if anyone is interested:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co.../display/full/

urbancowboy screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 05:32 PM
Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #65
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
+1
i was just writing my post with the same points, hit "submit reply" and saw your post.
Well if I was seriously hurt, I wouldn't have survived. There was also a time when it looked like neither bike was going to make it out. The 911 signal wasn't turned off so if it was working as advertised, they should have seen where I was going as I took it with me. I was also back at the crash scene within two hours if they actually did have my location (They had me 37 miles away). I'm glad I hit the 911 even if it's just to show that the SPOT emergency service is basically an illusion in a heavily wooded (or cloudy?) area.

I never expected a freebie. I was surprised no one asked me for my info. I just hope some dipstick doesn't turn me in. BJ said: "If anybody asks, tell'em the GPS sent you this way"

5Chord screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 06:01 PM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #66
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord
Well if I was seriously hurt, I wouldn't have survived. There was also a time when it looked like neither bike was going to make it out.

Finishing your ride on schedule is not a bonafide emergency.

"Well if I was seriously hurt, I wouldn't have survived."

if you want to play the "what if" game,

what if the signal had gotten through, and emergency responders got hurt while rushing to get to your bent-up bike?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #67
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Finishing your ride on schedule is not a bonafide emergency.

if you want to play the "what if" game,

what if the signal had gotten through, and emergency responders got hurt while rushing to get to your bent-up bike?
Sounds like you're playing the "What if" game. I unfortunately had to play it as it unfolded for real. I just got lucky (like a whole lot).

If the signal got through they would have found me, not the bike, (I carried it out of the woods). Getting to the authorities was my priority not fitting in to any schedule. I would have been happy to run into anybody looking for me. I was 200 miles from home.

When I get my GS back we can discuss it over a beer at the Ear

5Chord screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 06:38 PM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #68
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

what scares me is that now, sitting at home with the luxury of time to weigh the options, you still think you made good decisions.

yeah i'm playing the "what if" game. because you presented a scenario that didn't happen:

so i'm asking you to step back and look at the other possibilities.

if you were in the same position, would you still do the same thing?

what else could you have done in that situation?

could you have TRIED hiking out on foot if both bikes were down (which they weren't)?

were you using the SPOT device correctly (i.e. was it mounted properly)?

i don't know the answer to that, but someone here indicated that your device wasn't mounted right. i'm acting as an emergency contact now for an advrider who has been riding in some remote places. his tracks seem to line up pretty well to the roads and trails that he is on.

i realize that at the time you felt like you were in a real emergency. but as we look at the situation now, i'm surprised that you still feel that way. if you continue riding off-road, you may find yourself in worse spots. how can you prepare yourself for next time?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #69
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Of course I wouldn't have pushed the button if I knew then what I know now, but I didn't. In hindsight I'm happy I sent the 911 because now I know it's limitations and see it's worth in a real-time situation.

Maybe someone will read this and consider not putting all their eggs in one (SPOT) basket when it comes to covering their ass in the wilderness. I know I won't be so dumb and happy thinking its technology will rescue me next time.
Quote:
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #70
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Quote:
sounds good.

from my experience owning a GS and then riding/buying smaller adv bikes, you'll have a lot more fun on those roads with a smaller bike.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #71
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
sounds good.

from my experience owning a GS and then riding/buying smaller adv bikes, you'll have a lot more fun on those roads with a smaller bike.
Funny you said that. This is my favorite dual sport bike and I had been planning on doing the Dual Sport Quarry Run on it. At the last minute my partner with a KLX-250 couldn't make it and I rode up with D on the big bike for the Adventure portion. As you can see I didn't quite make it. I'll be riding this one down in the NJ Pine Barrens tomorrow all day

Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #72
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

Oddometer: 107
Well, if ya just would have asked.......

I seen you on at Hancock by the gate.
I was the one on the shiny black KLR.

If ya would have asked me before heading up to Hancock I could have routed you a bit diffrent and still a nice dirt ride. ( My neck of the woods as I grew up here on my Yam DT 250. )

I travel that road many times a year on my bike. I have even rode it with my seven year old neice riding in front of me on my bike.
I guess that just shows what a diffrent bike can do when not all geared down with weight. Plus the right tires for the situation.

I am glad that you are alright and that no one got hurt on the retrival.
I will head over that way in a day or two and see if you left anything.
( I live three miles from where you went over.)
No offence but I guess geared up Beemers should pay notice to road closed signs until they can off load their gear.

Also if you would have asked. I could have told you that cell and sat com is spotty at best up here. ( I am a company truck driver and my qualcom never works at the house. )

Well, at some cost to you, you have answered some questions I have had for years about taking beemers down bad roads all loaded up. ( Yes we do have a number of worse roads up here then the one you were on.)

But really. I am very happy that your ok. We have enough loss of life up this way due to careless Harley riders and inexperianced sport bike riders.

If you ever want to venture up this way again I would be glad to take you on some local roads and trails that you and your bike are suited for.
Just let me know.

I will write to you direct if I come across any gear that you left up there.

Oh bye the way, the german guy with the older red and white beemer parked near your gear, you know who I mean?
Well, I guess he had a bit of trouble too as when he came back in on Saturday his windsheild was broken and a light was missing from the left side of his bike, plus he burned his hands. ( I guess trying to right his bike. )
I hope he made it home ok.
On my way out on saturday I stopped by the Argintiain guy who was on a bike just like yours. His bike looked fine, but I didn't see him anywhere. ( He must have been bathing in the river. )

Well, it was nice meeting you up there. I hope that it all works out with your bike.
johnnygequinunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #73
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

I just loaded the pics from your first page......

I feel so bad for you guys.
Now I know who "D" is.
His bike didn't look like that after his adventure ride.
I got a few pictures of "D" and his bike.
He is the one with the broken windsheld and missing light.

To me it looked like you guys took your bikes to war. Both you and your bikes going home wounded.

I really feel so bad for you guys.

I wish you could have talked with the guy from Argintina.
He was on a grey beemer just like yours. He rode his from New York to TeraDelFuego.
He told me that he had a rough time in Patagonia.
anyway, I digress.

I felt so bad for "D" when he came up and asked where first aid was as he burnt his hands.
I think they were of little help as when he came back they wern't gaused up.
If he would have asked I would have taken him to rightaid and wrapped them with some ointment.

Well, I really am so sorry that you both had such a rough time up here.
My offer is open anytime you wana head up this way for a ride just let me know.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #74
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

As far as "Spot"

I am a over the road truck driver.
Almost every company truck has some form of "Sat Com"
I have seen many areas in the country where I can't get a signal.
Also, one has to wonder who is monitoring these systems.
I too once thought that the idea of a "Panic Button" was great, but have learned that your signal can be "Scattered" or also it can be ignored.

I once pushed the "Panic Button" with no responce. Luckily I had cell service where I was and dialed "911" .
I was asked the following week if I had pushed the button long after it's need.

Many in this day and age think they can rely on too much technology.

Yes, I use a GPS, but I also have a map and know where to find the north star.
Yes in my career I have been on roads that told me I was heading to all four points of the compass at one time, yet I still knew where I was heading to.

Any tool is great, but always rely on yourself.

All in all I am glad that you are ok, it could have turned out to be a lot worse if you were on the road just on the other side of the river.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #75
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Thank you for posting!

Quote:
Of course I wouldn't have pushed the button if I knew then what I know now, but I didn't. In hindsight I'm happy I sent the 911 because now I know it's limitations and see it's worth in a real-time situation.

Maybe someone will read this and consider not putting all their eggs in one (SPOT) basket when it comes to covering their ass in the wilderness. I know I won't be so dumb and happy thinking its technology will rescue me next time.
....and now I know what to not waste my money on.
I see now I'd be better off with a true GPS and riding with several people for my safety and a good cell phone/service provider.
Ususally I ride alone and often thought about such a device. Thanks! you saved me some cash. Better off with a trip intinerary and check in phone calls so my friends would have an idea about my location. (certainly better than a 37 mile fuck up!)

Can't believe the # of people here making you out to be an asshole. Making a poor judgement call means you made a mistake, not that you're an asshole. I guess it's easy for them to make judgement calls when you're relaxed in your computer chair and not in a FUCKED! situation.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote