Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #76
classyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Don't worry about my hands, they turned out just fine, I just had minor burns. The adventure ride was really a lot rougher than I expected, and I think quite a few portions were really hardly doable on a big Beemer, but I soldiered through them anyway - I would not have ridden them had it not been part of an official run where I knew I could get support if necessary.
The crash that caused the damage on my bike was on a section of the ride that was (for a change) seperate from the dual-sports guys, on Hoolihan Brook Rd. in Long Eddy. Not a techincal road at all, and I was moving swiftly and confidently, but happened to have the bad luck of hitting some mud with my read wheel in a curve, resulting in a lowsider.
Aside from losing a good portion of my windshield I broke the left turn signal - other damage will reveal itself once I get it fixed up this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygequinunk
I feel so bad for you guys.
Now I know who "D" is.
His bike didn't look like that after his adventure ride.
I got a few pictures of "D" and his bike.
He is the one with the broken windsheld and missing light.

To me it looked like you guys took your bikes to war. Both you and your bikes going home wounded.

I really feel so bad for you guys.

I wish you could have talked with the guy from Argintina.
He was on a grey beemer just like yours. He rode his from New York to TeraDelFuego.
He told me that he had a rough time in Patagonia.
anyway, I digress.

I felt so bad for "D" when he came up and asked where first aid was as he burnt his hands.
I think they were of little help as when he came back they wern't gaused up.
If he would have asked I would have taken him to rightaid and wrapped them with some ointment.

Well, I really am so sorry that you both had such a rough time up here.
My offer is open anytime you wana head up this way for a ride just let me know.
classyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #77
classyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I wouldn't mind at all if you posted those pictures you got.
And I think I can speak for Tod too saying that we really appreciated the hospitality and generosity of you folks up in the Hancock area, and we will surely be back soon!

Quote:
I feel so bad for you guys.
Now I know who "D" is.
His bike didn't look like that after his adventure ride.
I got a few pictures of "D" and his bike.
He is the one with the broken windsheld and missing light.

To me it looked like you guys took your bikes to war. Both you and your bikes going home wounded.

I really feel so bad for you guys.

I wish you could have talked with the guy from Argintina.
He was on a grey beemer just like yours. He rode his from New York to TeraDelFuego.
He told me that he had a rough time in Patagonia.
anyway, I digress.

I felt so bad for "D" when he came up and asked where first aid was as he burnt his hands.
I think they were of little help as when he came back they wern't gaused up.
If he would have asked I would have taken him to rightaid and wrapped them with some ointment.

Well, I really am so sorry that you both had such a rough time up here.
My offer is open anytime you wana head up this way for a ride just let me know.
classyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #78
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
I seen you on at Hancock by the gate.
I was the one on the shiny black KLR.

If ya would have asked me before heading up to Hancock I could have routed you a bit diffrent and still a nice dirt ride. ( My neck of the woods as I grew up here on my Yam DT 250. )

I travel that road many times a year on my bike. I have even rode it with my seven year old neice riding in front of me on my bike.
I guess that just shows what a diffrent bike can do when not all geared down with weight. Plus the right tires for the situation.

I am glad that you are alright and that no one got hurt on the retrival.
I will head over that way in a day or two and see if you left anything.
( I live three miles from where you went over.)
No offence but I guess geared up Beemers should pay notice to road closed signs until they can off load their gear.

Also if you would have asked. I could have told you that cell and sat com is spotty at best up here. ( I am a company truck driver and my qualcom never works at the house. )
Hey man how could I have asked you anything when I met you after the crash? When we got on River Road their was no road-closed sign (Not that it would have stopped us) only at exit did we notice it. We were on it about 10 miles before the crash. The first 6 miles were BEAUTIFUL.

I left a self-inflatablle mattress and ez-pass tag at the scene. The mattress may have floated away as it looked to go into the water, but it may be stuck on the bank. Let me know if you find anything. It might be a good enough excuse to go riding up there again.

Nice meeting you and we'll "ask" next time
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #79
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

Oddometer: 107
Well, the last two days up here......

We have had a bit of rain and I know better then to go mountain climbing in the rain up here. But I will head over there the next nice day and see what I see.

Just a word to the wise for both of you. Get more off road agressive tires for your bikes.
Your tires arent too much more agressive then what I have on my FZ and that is a crotch rocket.

Just wondering here, "D" what is your name, and are you German?
My mother is German and I was just wondering was all.

If you guys want to come up you can camp in my yard or stay in my basement. ( Concrete and semi finished. ) and we can go on some semi local rides on dirt roads and pavement around the area.
But no gear on the bikes for these rides. Not that this would be a rough ride, it is just easier to flick a bike thru turns when not so weighed down.

Since I know this area well. ( I grew up here from the age of 13.) you tell me what type of rideing you want and we have it up here. Everything from high speed twisty turnies on pavement to high speed dirt roads to technical on "public" roads.

Just a side note here. With how your guys weekend went. I would have just went to "Villa Roma" for the rest of your weekend as you were not 25 miles away from it in Hancock. If it was me, between the bar and the jacuzzi I would have said "screw it to the bike and the ride." ( for now. lol )

But you guys seemed like nice guys and I felt bad for you both.

My offer is open until I go back to work, then my time is limited as I don't get home that often.

Just don't let this deter you from riding on and off road. Just look at it as a learning experiance.

Well, wounds will heal and bikes will get fixxed.

Hopefully I will see you guys soon.

John.
johnnygequinunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #80
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

Oddometer: 107
oh by the way......

I don't post pictures as it takes way too long on ultra slow dialup. ( 24.4 Kbps)

I was looking for another rider at camp from on here just to post some pictures here from last years ride. ( I burned them onto a DVD.)
I never ran into him.

I am just glad that you both are ok.

Oh and by the way. I have my own bike recovery vehical. A Dodge extended cab 4x4 with a 8 foot bed and a ramp.
It's not new, but it runs good. I figured a good investment with 4 bikes.

Well, I hope all turns out well with the both of you.
johnnygequinunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #81
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,686
A vegetarian?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #82
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
sounds good.

from my experience owning a GS and then riding/buying smaller adv bikes, you'll have a lot more fun on those roads with a smaller bike.
+ a billion

Got a 450 for me and a DR 200 for Chace. We're taking the dirtwise course together this weekend and I'm looking forward to riding together in the woods.

We do quite a bit of the class IV roads in Vermont on the big GSes but once in a while I end up taking in a bit too far which can cause a perilous drop in the fun meter.

To the OP glad you made it out ok.

The the Hancock VFD, you rule!
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #83
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy
+ a billion

Got a 450 for me and a DR 200 for Chace. We're taking the dirtwise course together this weekend and I'm looking forward to riding together in the woods.

We do quite a bit of the class IV roads in Vermont on the big GSes but once in a while I end up taking in a bit too far which can cause a perilous drop in the fun meter.

To the OP glad you made it out ok.

The the Hancock VFD, you rule!
You'll get no argument for me My regular off-road (and now commuter) bike is the modest Yamaha TW-200.......And you can rest assure that the Hancock VFD will get a visit from me with my checkbook open once this mess is done....The GS has a small crack at the bent foot peg...They're treating it as a cracked frame and GEICO is now involved.......Anybody have an opinion on a 1999 KTM EXC 300 two stroke? There's one close buy in great shape for $1700, please PM me.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #84
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
But you guys seemed like nice guys and I felt bad for you both.
Hopefully I will see you guys soon.

John.
No need to feel sorry for us..D and I both had extremely intense adventures that had big learning components as well. All in all it has made our life richer and look forward to the next one (hopefully with less drama).
Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #85
Dozer1
i ride your bike

Oddometer: 298
All that luggage for a day trip? Who are you, Earnest Shackleton?
ADV is gentrifying being stupid. Now you can't crash your bike, get drunk in public and get rescued by Cletus in an ATV unless you have a $20,000 bike..
"Once again there is tons of South Americans, Europeans and miscellanious Asians strolling around but dang few Americans. They are probably busy working overtime saving up for just the right bike, gps, saddle bags, blue tooth, crash bars, audio mixer/wahatever. Work harder, faster I am sure that next bike will be the one to make you happy."
www.flickr.com/noahscialom
Dozer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #86
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer1
All that luggage for a day trip? Who are you, Earnest Shackleton?
ADV is gentrifying being stupid. Now you can't crash your bike, get drunk in public and get rescued by Cletus in an ATV unless you have a $20,000 bike..
I don't agree though....I'm sure "Cletus" would have been just as happy to extract D's bike which he bought for a small fraction of that And that cop had no idea what we were riding
Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #87
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
So, the 911 call is justified; the emergency being a possibly tardy arrival at the Dual Sport ride?

I've wondered about the triage 911 dispatchers must employ; that is, how to allocate limited resources, as in this case of a downed motorcycle, versus, for example, an accident with life-threatening injuries or a time-critical medical emergency, such as a case of acute appendicitis.

Market forces and government regulation will settle these issues, ultimately, one might suppose. If SPOT systems and subscriptions are sold, and a customer wants to punch 911 for a flat tire, or for a hangnail, customer's decision.

Crying, "Wolf!", or legitimate expectation of services bought and paid for? Each SPOT customer decides alone.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #88
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer
So, the 911 call is justified; the emergency being a possibly tardy arrival at the Dual Sport ride?

I've wondered about the triage 911 dispatchers must employ; that is, how to allocate limited resources, as in this case of a downed motorcycle, versus, for example, an accident with life-threatening injuries or a time-critical medical emergency, such as a case of acute appendicitis.

Market forces and government regulation will settle these issues, ultimately, one might suppose. If SPOT systems and subscriptions are sold, and a customer wants to punch 911 for a flat tire, or for a hangnail, customer's decision.

Crying, "Wolf!", or legitimate expectation of services bought and paid for? Each SPOT customer decides alone.
WTF still a lot of cracking on the OP for hitting 911 in the first place, sounds like HE and the bike had just taken a spill. bike was at the bottom of steep terrain, damn near a huge river, not a creek that you could upright the bike and ford through. which means the OP went down the same hill and possible hit the same trees. was following someone else and not clear on his present location. his head cleared and a better plan was put into action. apparently you can cancel your 911 call for just an instance like this.

if nothing else the OP and myself learned you can cancel a 911 call on these things from his experience. anyone else walking away from this thread with that info? the other thing i learned is that my backup plan, which is what SPOT was for me, capable of providing satellite reception instead of cell service in the boonies for an emergency or a needing help call out to friends. well i learned i need another backup plan this one is not fool proof.

with the SPOT system at least, the dispatchers have no clue what or how many of anything to send. apparently they do not always know even where to send them.

literally it appears to only send a message saying "Help Me" not my bike, boat, ski or whatever, but ME

through the registration of the product and through the registration only do they know whether you, me or another person is making the request. unless of course the registered owner lends there SPOT to another person. good thing there is no medical information attached to the device registration. my allergy to peanuts (i am not) could affect the borrowers allergy to jelly (they may or may not be)

by the way my SPOT subscription is now canceled because of this incident and there is a Gen 1 SPOT available for sale, buyer beware, it works as advertised. sends a message to let them know you may be in dire straights and to please send the reserves. does not specify whether or not they will send anyone, just that they will get a message saying you could use some

@ 5Chord final answer from the shop and insurance?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #89
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
by the way my SPOT subscription is now canceled because of this incident . . .
Whom do you BLAME for what you regard as unsatisfactory response to the 911 paging, rthuey?

[CAVEAT: Exaggeration and hyperbole follow; I hope not taken entirely as sarcasm.] I imagine lots of jurisdictions, especially low population-density rural ones, have considerably less than a North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) control center, monitoring motorcycles transiting remote wilderness trails in their ground space.

Given, the local emergency response agencies did NOT immediately scramble air evacuation ambulances and EMT teams, or heavy-lift helicopters, to the accident location. Is such response a realistic expectation, 24/7, and 4 pi steradians about the center of the earth? [/sarcasm]

The communications system obviously has its limitations, as do the organizations provided emergency response. While I carry no brief for SPOT, I wouldn't consider its existing capabilities totally worthless. The Chinese guest of ADV was served admirably by SPOT when he had a mishap in the boonies, IIRC; and, in this case, weren't designated friends/family notified of the difficulty and location ("My girlfriend sounded VERY relieved to hear my voice. She told me the SPOT monitoring people called and explained about my 911 signal. They couldn't explain however, the reason why no one was dispatched to rescue me. They did manage to tell my girlfriend and father that I was in trouble but that was about it.")? Might be useful information, had launching a search become necessary.

Again, as stated, MARKET FORCES will resolve some issues; and--you're certainly not obligated to buy and subscribe to SPOT and its services. By all means, vote with your pocketbook. Yet, I wonder; whom do you consider at fault, for what you consider SPOT's inadequate response?

As an alternative to SPOT--anyone ever consider satellite telephones, owned or rented for a trip, as a safety precaution? With a satellite telephone, I'd expect more versatile and detailed communication possible than with SPOT.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #90
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,745
i blame the equipment. it is inferior to my needs apparently.

the fact that the unit can get a message out saying i need help. somewhere in the world i need help. but i'm not telling you where. sucks and not why i bought it

as for unsatisfactory response from the center what bothers me. they were working with tools given to them. in this case a help request with no location. in the case of the original OP, they had a reference point, mind you 37 miles away they could have started with. if that point was clearly on a trail that was even remotely a known path to a given destination of the OP. which that info would have been gathered from contacting the contacts listed with the device. i would think they could have started looking off of where he had been, where he was going and some of the more common options open to get there known by the locals. to call and say hey we got a 911, do you know where he is? and we're not sending anyone out until we figure out where he is, is wrong in every way imaginable when he purchased his device.

you are aware that SPOT in NOT intended for motorcycles, right?!? i ask cause you mention heavy lift helicopters. wait, did you just call me fat???

another inmate recently mentioned the ADV guest and an incident. which i have not read up on. i hear that SPOT came through for him. which is what i would expect from it. but the OP is in my neck of the woods and riding where i would ride and it did not.

as for satellite telephones. shit i have enough with day to day drop calls. i could not imagine me getting dropped when i was on one of those. cause if i was on it i needed something. being put on hold while on a sat phone, again when i needed help. not good. Please Wait. grrrrrrr

i like the ideal of push button and help should be on the way. do what you can to keep your self safe until help arrives. as mentioned by some one else in this thread. if i had to push the button and it was getting dark. i would assume that help might not be till the next morning. if it was a saturday morning, i would NOT be thinking, guess i'll just hang til 8:am monday. even if i happened to be stuck in a tree i would be anticipating help that day