Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #106
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Awesome work on the fabrication. You have some mad skills. I have done some welding classes and just need to get motivated to start "learning from my mistakes". I'd like to make a gravel guard for my Street Triple because I tend to keep riding it where no "sport" bike belongs.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Julia

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #107
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
You might want totie the two sides of the crash bars together with a tube across the front of the rad there.

All in all, looks good. Much respect for diving in and doingit yourself

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #108
skirt full of hell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
now that you've finished this project....

wanna come help me Cafe Baby?
skirt full of hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #109
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 793
what a great project, bike looks awesome
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #110
dunesnstars OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Well, the bike is a blast! Had a chance to test it out this weekend on many gravel, fire and even an off road Jeep trail. Even after dropping the bike multiple times on burms, creeks and rocks, the bike's workmanship really showed. Enja pretty much came off unscathed! I will need a new handlebar though, whoops!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The rush from riding on two wheels... priceless.
dunesnstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #111
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,642
You did a great job and I think you will have a blast riding in the dirt, make sure you are running less air in your tires in the dirt, will make it more secure feeling.

AustinJake screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 12:45 PM
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #112
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,553
The stock bars are worthless. Time for an upgrade to some pro tapers or similar?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #113
Gingie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Wow. Part of the reason I got a 650R was I liked the lines of the fairing....but after seeing yours and jdrock bikes, I'm getting the itch!

I do like the colour matching you did on the givis. It's convinced me to match the panels on mine. Which is about the extent of my skills!
Gingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #114
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
sweet!!

I never even thought about a Versys or Ninja, doubt it could handle my big ass though. At 6'1"/ 240 I need something with long legs! Excellent, also insrirational, work though, looks like it'll be a blast!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #115
dunesnstars OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Update....

It's been a little while since I last wrenched on enja. I love my bike!

The workmanship is impeccable. But I'm thinking I am going to need to upgrade my suspension. Sounds easy enough, one would think. But how would you upgrade the suspension without compromising the low seat height?

Like all these builds, the game plan is to run some fire roads and have my own little adventure. With that in mind, here are some quick weights that the bike could see, just me and gear and what hard parts I've added puts me at 140lbs, two up could see 330lbs and if some reason we do two up with a light amount of gear for camping I'd guess we would be closer to 350-360lbs.

So far it seems pretty limited, I've read where several of the ninja builders have upgraded to the r1 shock and installed a new spring, but from that it seems it may raise the bike enough to cause me an issue. Also have read the zx6r 636 swap, not sure that's the route to go for anything off road.

I also emailed Blue Ridge Performance, but it was suggested to contact Traxxion by them. When looked them up and they seem more road oriented. Also contacted Racetech, but only received a quote back with no mention of what they were going to do for $1,600 bucks....not really on board with pay first and we will see what we can do, that just leads to change orders and more money. Also emailed EMP about just doing a simple fork and rear shock spring swap. Thinking a progressive spring might be a way to go. Still waiting on info back from them.

As it is, it's way too harsh for just me on the street much less a wash board road. Two up it actually rides ok on the street, but bounce a little in the corners.

Anyway, looking to the greater wisdom of the adv guru's who might have a thoughtful idea.
The rush from riding on two wheels... priceless.
dunesnstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #116
Manaen
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great project! Been working on a little conversion myself. More pics needed!...

Sent from my Android World using tapatalk
Manaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #117
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunesnstars View Post
As it is, it's way too harsh for just me on the street much less a wash board road. Two up it actually rides ok on the street, but bounce a little in the corners.

Anyway, looking to the greater wisdom of the adv guru's who might have a thoughtful idea.
The stock bits are not really up for the task as you have figured out. However you can make a few adjustments to reduce the harshness, try reducing the preload on the rear shock, front forks I would shorten the preload spacer and change to a thinner fork oil. All of these actions are rather inexpensive but require a bit of time wrenching.

Good luck.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #118
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunesnstars View Post
the game plan is to run some fire roads and have my own little adventure.
you should think about the 41mm KLR forks (08+). the nice thing about these conventionals is that the 41mm inners are a uniform diameter and can be moved up in the OEM 650R clamps. you would need to work out your front wheel/rotor/caliper options first. tonymorr used KLR on his old bike back in 2008, and kept the OEM rear shock so that the seat height wasn't affected much. should work with a 17" wheel for that SM look, or go 19".

both the Versys and R1 shocks are about 25mm longer than the 650R shock.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #119
mpowers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Thats an idea, by chance you wouldn't know the oem springs rates would you (for the 650r)?

I've been speaking to Klaus @ EPM Performance, they have a rear shock with a progressive spring that has adjustable rebound and dampening adjustment along with the adjustable coil over (hyperpro brand). I was going to parlay this with progressive springs for the front forks.

Anyway, he has been waiting for Germany to email him back about what the stock rates are, as I would like to be able to compare to the suggested rates of the hyperpro.

Once I finish with hers I am considering building another for myself with a bit more elaborate suspension....I have to much fun riding it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
you should think about the 41mm KLR forks (08+). the nice thing about these conventionals is that the 41mm inners are a uniform diameter and can be moved up in the OEM 650R clamps. you would need to work out your front wheel/rotor/caliper options first. tonymorr used KLR on his old bike back in 2008, and kept the OEM rear shock so that the seat height wasn't affected much. should work with a 17" wheel for that SM look, or go 19".

both the Versys and R1 shocks are about 25mm longer than the 650R shock.
mpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #120
mpowers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Well no sooner than I speak I get an email with this info from Klaus:

The OEM rate is 160 N/mm
The spring that we would use for your application has a rate of 147 226 N/mm

So I am going to go with this...
mpowers is offline   Reply With Quote