Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Forde's Puch Maxi Project Thread! <Moped Content>

Hi,

Just posting in case anyone is interested in my moped projects.

I posted one of my maxis on here before but since I now have 4 I thought id start a new thread to include all of them and just keep everything together.

Ok so first after I sold two Tomos Bullets I had, I got this '82 maxi S ska special edition, probably a year ago, with a kickstart engine (all of the bikes have the E50 motor) someone had given it a curse word spray job ruining its original limited colour and decals but it still had its mag wheels, screw in metal fuel cap etc and was a good runner except one of the main bearings was well on the way out and noisy.

My plan is to do a full restore and rebuild on this one with some tasty mods, right now it looks like this

Next up I bought these two together

A pedal start maxi S and a kickstart maxi N

the S is a great runner and paint is good but needs small jobs doing and tank cleaned. only part missing was airbox and decompressor lever perch was broken but still works.

the N is missing carb, chain, mudguards and side covers but tank is surprisingly clean and engine has compression, going to stick the carb off the ska on it and I think it will run.

So my plan was to get the pedal maxi S road legal with maybe a pipe, jets and filter then replace the shocks and maybe drop bars with a round light and mini tail light and other bits and bobs

But then yesterday this came along, a '70 pedal start maxi N

Running good aside from carb leaking a little fuel and associated air leaks causing erratic idle etc. No parts missing, lights all work, V5 with it etc.

So now the plan is to swap the carb from the ska onto this and put this one on the road first, then rebuild the carb off this for the ska.

An order of parts mostly from YPVspares has arrived. I ordered these with the pedal S in mind but will probably use the biturbo on the new N for now and after the mot maybe change the lights but they are working atm so not going to mess with it before mot. Tbh ill probably hard wire it after mot.

When I get paid this week ill be ordering some more bits for my various projects, a couple cone filters, various jets for the carbs, maybe some drop bars for whichever one I wanna put them on, new lever for the pedal S, then some spares like plugs and gaskets, new grips, kill switches etc. Need to find some decent looking pedals too wonder if bike or bmx ones fit?

Going to get a couple of the easier ones going well first so I can mess with them whilst I do a long term build on the ska.

Stuff I got this week

Biturbo expansion exhaust
Black/chrome round headlight
Mini rear light (tail only)
Petrol tap with filter
EMCA 300mm adjustable shocks black/chrome
Flywheel puller
Some clear fuel pipe and filters off ebay but seem too big
10x 6v 18w headlight bulbs
10x 6v 4w tail bulbs

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Forde way to go!

You don't see many peddle mopeds around. It looks like you are well on the way to haveing some fine running machines. These are urban stealth bike that can be parked anywhere, cut through alleys, idea for the short cuts, earn runs. And a trip to the park. They sip gas like a granny sips tea. Many state have no registration requirements. I send along my respect for returning to service the cast off of others.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I have a 1980 Puch Newport II (same frame as Maxi) I bought it a long time ago and rebuilt it from the ground up. It is the ZA50 2 speed 2 hp model, reddish brown, wire spoke wheels. It has over 20,000 miles on it (over half of them are mine mine) but is missing several things, like the side covers and handlebar switch gear. Head, tail and brake light are wired direct. I also have a like new E50 engine with 300 miles in a box I got off eBay for it. ZA50 still runs fine though. I haven't ridden it in a couple of years. NO rust, stored inside with gas tank and cylinder full of oil.

JerryH screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 02:21 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn View Post
You don't see many peddle mopeds around. It looks like you are well on the way to haveing some fine running machines. These are urban stealth bike that can be parked anywhere, cut through alleys, idea for the short cuts, earn runs. And a trip to the park. They sip gas like a granny sips tea. Many state have no registration requirements. I send along my respect for returning to service the cast off of others.

thanks mate, my plan is to build them all up differently.

the ska (purple one) going to do a full paint job, super clean looking stockm modified build, not take it too far from stock by chopping frame or fenders or anything probably but lots of nice parts and paint etc

the other twin shock id love to put longer shocks and forks and knobbly tyres and shorten the fenders, put mtb bars on it etc make it dirt bike style

one of the hard tails (white one) do a real stripped down build on it

and the other hard tail probably close to stock with tuned motor

yeah i live in ireland so not same as usa but to put A bike under 200cc on the road you are talking about 15 road tax a year, 20 per year for the yearly inspection, and 50 insurance for the year (for me, depends on age etc) so not too bad.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have a 1980 Puch Newport II (same frame as Maxi) I bought brand new back then and still have it. It is the ZA50 2 speed 2 hp model, reddish brown, wire spoke wheels. It has over 20,000 miles on it (all mine) but is missing several things, like the side covers and handlebar switch gear. Head, tail and brake light are wired direct. I also have a like new E50 engine with 300 miles in a box I got off eBay for it. ZA50 still runs fine though. I haven't ridden it in a couple of years. NO rust, stored inside with gas tank and cylinder full of oil.

thats awesome you got pics? wish mine had been stored like that the tanks are minging on them all lol any tips for cleaning?

FYI you can buy those parts new or new/repro

the site i use in uk is ypvspares.com and he sells all those things, but lots of american sites like 1977mopeds and treatland.tv would have them too, i think ypv gets his stock shipped from usa tbh
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
JerryH
Banned

Unfortunately you cannot get the right sidecover for the ZA50, it is shaped differently from the standard E50 cover. I tried all the U.S. moped places, 1977, Treats, Moped Warehouse, Moped Junkyard. Dave at Moped Junkyard said he would keep an eye out for some, but not to hold my breath. That was over a year ago. I'll get pics soon.

BTW, if you have rust in your gas tanks, an easy but somewhat tricky way to get rid of it is to first clean out all the old gas/oil residue with a product called Castrol Superclean, then remove the petcock, plug the fitting with silicone, and fill the tank with full strength muriatic acid SLOWLY. Let it soak for 24 hours, then dump it out. All the rust will be gone. Rinse well with water, and fill with oil to prevent more rust. 2 stroke mix will prevent it from rusting while in use. I have cleaned a lot of tanks this way, including a couple that developed pinhole leaks afterward, because they were rusted through, and rust was the only thing plugging up the holes. On a motorcycle tank that can be fixed with a product called POR-15, but I would scrap a moped frame in that condition. It not only has to hold gas, but it also holds the bike together.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #7
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

Parts came from puchshop.de -

De-rusted my tank -

Washed and de greased my frame -

Dug out my mags from my other puch, they were on a kickstart but all maxi rims have a place for a freewheel so got one from puchshop to fit, have these all stripped apart and hubs out for new bearings and a repaint and new brake shoes and tyres and tubes, some clown had painted them with the bolts and sprocket etc still on it was nasty -

The engine on its work stand -

Tried my Circuit pipe on my mates half built puch to see what it was like (this was my white puch, sold it to the mate and we are building it up so we can ride together!) Also sold my red pedal start twinshock to my other friend. Leaving me the blue one and red 1970 hardtail -

Thats all for now!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
JerryH
Banned

Here in my '80 Puch Newport II. Engine is all stock. I used to use it for long distance riding and wanted reliability.

I love the "N" frame. They are very stiff, and make great race bikes. I still find the stock forks to be a bit flexy without the fender for support. I believe there is a brace you can get that attaches to the fender mounts to solve that problem. Or you can use EBR forks, which include a whole new triple tree. Everything is a lot stronger. Clamps are solid billet, not pressed steel.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

yeah going to pick up EBRS for both my puchs in my next order from puchshop probably.

think i read somewhere about problems fitting them into standard headstock? maybe not. i kinda thought/hoped they were straight fit.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

thats a nice bike you have there mate i would love a ZA50
Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
the ebr forks are a direct fit BUT and i mean BUT......

you have to remove the lower bearing race of the stock forks and use the shim from between the race and the head tube.

if you dont, the lower race will move around on the head tube and youll have a bit of a mess of a handlung bike and the bearings will never be adjusted properly.

jerryH, call choke moped shop in los angeles, or myrons mopeds in fullerton, i bet they have the sidecovers for you...... i know myrons should, i dropped off BOXES of them from when i had a 100+ mopeds.... was always the first thing to go, can't fit the 80cc cylinders and 24mm mikunu carbs with em on.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

Sure u can buy sidecovers everywhere. Treats, 1977, puchshop, ypvs etc. I have four sets in various colours in a box cos I never run them

Are you sayin to remove the lower race from the stock headtube on the frame and remove or add a shim? Thanks for replyin
Old 07-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

when you take off the front forks you will have an upper and lower bearing.

the surface the bearing rides on (on the fork) comes off. (inner race)

between the lower bearing inner race and the fork stem is a very thin metal shim used to keep the inner race from wobbling around.

it needs to be transferred over to the ebr forks (along with the same lower race)

if you get a new set of head bearings (kstar or the like) it does not come with the shim. and so it needs to be removed anyways.

bottom line, use the lower race shim.

heres some pics of my past builds....... only took photos of a few, but ive done literally 100s of mopeds in the last 10 years.

the last one is probably one of, if not, my favorite that i did. i built it for myself. it ran like a monster. 70mph on flat ground.

1 speed puch e50, metra 80, 24mm mikuni flatslide, homoet 8p, the frame was grey metallic paint, the orange was a candy tangerine with purple pearl powder coat. obviously it is a maxi n. all aluminum was polished, all chrome re chromed, all spoked powdercoated black, all spoke nipples polished to the brass.........

villageidiot screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 06:56 PM
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #14
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

ah right i get what shim you are talking about now. i know about that and yeah i am replacing the entire headset including shim with new parts. the shim only costs like 1.40 euro.

nice peds, all very cool in their own way
Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

the shims that puchshop.nl or 50cc.nl or even treats sell are far too thick and youll never get it fully behind the bearing. save the frustrations, re use the old shim.