Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #136
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
any more thoughts on buying a new moped?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #137
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
At home one metre snow. Back to Germany....

Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #138
duive01
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great journey

I just got a registered user so I can comment on your story. It's hard for me to believe that you can do 500 km's in a day on a standard Honda Zoomer 50. You must have been sore all over. I never did more than 250 on mine and I was glad that I could get off the bike by then. How many hours did you do to reach that 500?
And then 4200 in 13 days, that's over 300 a day average. WOW!

Thanks for sharing your words and pictures, loved it!

Gr Edwin
duive01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #139
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duive01 View Post
I just got a registered user so I can comment on your story. It's hard for me to believe that you can do 500 km's in a day on a standard Honda Zoomer 50. You must have been sore all over. I never did more than 250 on mine and I was glad that I could get off the bike by then. How many hours did you do to reach that 500?
And then 4200 in 13 days, that's over 300 a day average. WOW!

Thanks for sharing your words and pictures, loved it!

Gr Edwin
Funny, your input here is not registered as last postage so I haven´t seen it?!?

However, new or old user, I´m very grateful for the comment, thank you!

I think 250 kms is a good travelday, but I´m used from motorcycles to do long rides and also feel that Zoomer is a very comfortable longdistance moped. Longest dayride i 550 kms(heading to Northcape) and it took about 16-17 hours to do it....early mornings

Well, summer is coming fast. I think I´ll go for a Vision 50cc this summer and still wonder if somebody has bought(or test) one of the european modell(or swedish) and can tell the speed of it on spedo?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #140
duive01
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by V Saarela View Post
Funny, your input here is not registered as last postage so I haven´t seen it?!?

However, new or old user, I´m very grateful for the comment, thank you!

I think 250 kms is a good travelday, but I´m used from motorcycles to do long rides and also feel that Zoomer is a very comfortable longdistance moped. Longest dayride i 550 kms(heading to Northcape) and it took about 16-17 hours to do it....early mornings

Well, summer is coming fast. I think I´ll go for a Vision 50cc this summer and still wonder if somebody has bought(or test) one of the european modell(or swedish) and can tell the speed of it on spedo?
16-17 hours, truly amazing!
It's a good average too, about 33 km per hour when you have a top of 40 km per hour. I have travelled last year on a BMW F650, no highways, just small roads. I did about 50 km per hour average and I didn't stop very much. Mostly I drove between 10 am and 6 pm and did an average of 390 km a day. So you have proven it: you don't need 180kg of BMW F650, a 80kg Honda Zoomer will do just fine.
I'm a lover of small bikes, lightweight. So this year I'm going from the north of Holland to the south of Spain on a Honda PCX 125. Small roads again, total of 7000 km. I thought about taking the Zoomer but it's taking too long (I'm not going to sit on it for 16-17 hours! ;-) and I simply don't have the time. But it feels a bit like cheating! The smaller the bike, the bigger the adventure!
duive01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #141
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like a great ride on a great scoot, I surely look forward for the ride report from you

Yes, small roads are preferd on the small scoots. I suppose you have a GPS, so you don´t by mistake take motorways. Some countries don´t allow 125 on motorways....but I suppose you already know that.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #142
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Honda ANF 125 Innova on roll in 25 hours.....

Plan and ponder tours belongs's not my strongest side and so it was now too. In south of Sweden Iron Butt Assocoation arranged an ironbutt with 125's. They had done a tour that went into an eight and would pass Borlänge as northest point.
Friday and a quick decision to make my own race, join them in Tystberga just north of Nyköping and then jump off in Borlänge for traveling north back home. On my way home i made a overnigth in Sundsvall and there had the Innovan been rolling 25 hours straight and scraped together more than 1700 kilometres.

-----------------------------
It's Friday and the middle of the day. I've been up since four in the morning. I´ve seen that the IBA had started a iron butt with 125´s down in southern Sweden. Last year was I going my own with the Innova down and back to Stockholm, but a broken wheel bearing ended the day for it.

Now I have the chance to do it again, but struggle with the decision until the middle of the day. IBA-run starts at three o'clock in the morning in Jönköping. For me there is no reasonable reason to join it, so I stick out my finger and feel which way the wind blows, dust the Innova, check the oil, pump in some air in the tires and send my wife Kajsa to Luleå to get me an innertube in reserve.

Packing in progress. Some stuff have to be with me. The side bags are left at home because they take the wind, so everything should fit behind me.
The time is the middle of the day. While I´m packing Kajsa are to Luleå and getting an innertube in reserve.

Now, the clock had to be about 2-3 pm and Innova are ready for a journey. GPS is screwed into the mirror mount. A piece of water hose, tape a few times to take hold and the right dimension. Screws then the holder as hard as possible and it sit there solid as rock.

....to be continue
Old 05-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #143
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Leaves Boden just before three pm. A long night ahead for me. Weatherman has promised rain in the Sundsvall area, so I am confident that what their promises is usually the opposite.
Tailwind and good speed. Normally, with careful driving Innovans makes with 3.7 litre tank about 170 kilometres. Now I have to give the throttle a little bit more and find that the gas is enough for around 130 kilometres. Stopping only to refuel, alternately from fivelitrescan and every time I stop at a gasstation I fill up both can and tank.

After Örnskoldsvik comes the rain and I find that the weathermen are not always wrong anyway. In Sundsvall, I take an orderly break, more than half an hour. Fill up both the can and tank, then roll over to the adjacent Max hamburger. The time has now become ten at late evening, so I´ve done a good work with the kilometres so far.

Continuing south. The darkness has come and the rain just will accelerate. The lights on Innovan is with its 35 watts not much to run with. Main beam on and I see at least reflex on the side posts and the white road markings on the road. The problem is when there are cars meeting. Rain and lights on my face makes me lose all orientation where I am. No fun with it when you know that wire fences nearly licks the leg.

Innovan just filled up again. The weather is now okay and tail wind is on my side, means that everything is moving really well.

The time has now come to be about ten pm. Darkness falls and it's time to fill up both can and tank and then roll over to the Max hamburger on the back.

......to be continue
Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #144
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
awesome!

love the akra on the innova lol got a video of the sounds?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #145
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
awesome!

love the akra on the innova lol got a video of the sounds?
Yes, of course. Not so good, but still.....
http://www.saarela.se/mcpasse/mcpasse28wav.html
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #146
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

....continue

Anyway, everything allright thrue the night, despite the jerky cruising speed. Cold at night, it rains incessantly and I´m really freezing. Stops basically same as before Sundsvall, that for just refueling. Have heading to be at Sillekrog half an hour before the others. In Gävle I notice that I´m over two hours ahead of schedule. No need to waste time waiting at Sillekrog and wait the others, so I turn west towards Sala. Halfway tor Sala I turn back towards Gävle again.

At Gävle has the wind turned. Now I´ve instead head wind and Innova goes really slow now. Morning traffic is not started yet and they few cars I try to hang on in the slipstream drives way too fast for me. In Stockholm, I realize that time is tight now, very tight. Should I make it to Sillekrog even at six o'clock, I must now find more speed. My salvation is a polish truck that fits perfectly my speed and I slipstream after the truck almost whole way to Sillekrog.
Enters the gas station one minute after the others got there. They have now ride three hours from Jönköping and I have been on roll in fifteen hours. So, I am after about a minute, so there are only just quickly nod and send a word to the others meanwhile filling up gas.

The usual morning to do, filling up. The rhythm is inside now and it doesn´t take many minutes to do it.

At Silleskrog in the morning. Fifteen hours riding and the speedo shows at the moment about 1100 kms riding. From here is my turning back.

......to be continue
Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #147
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

....continue

From Sillekrog on E4 again and north to the next stop, Järva krog in Solna. For me is from Sillekrog also the turning point for home.
Out on the E4, tailwind and I hang on well with others. However, have to be awake the whole time for not felling behind. A little larger bikes are also involved including Henning from the magazine MC-Nytt on his KTM 990, drives in up and down in front sometimes behind, while his photographer on the passenger seat allows the camera go hot.

Arriving at Järva krog for fast refueling before turning northwest towards Borlänge.

Bikes refueled

Fotta on his CBF125

.....to be continue
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #148
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Road E18 to Enköping and where we turn north towards Sala and Borlänge. Now is also strong headwind. I have by far the weakest power in my bike and have to be awake all the time on the tempochanges. Drop from the bike in front of me now is not a good idea with the Innova
Strange is that, an XR125 can´t keep up with the others in the tailwind. He loose power on the smallest, and the bigger have to get him up. On that, his rainsuit is giant windbreak. I iscovered myself to look in the mirror and wonder where the hell was the SH300 scooter drop in to the group?? His rainsuit looked like the cover on one of those.
By the time he was after, he was also suddenly back in the group, via using the slipstream of the bigger bikes. I have drove XR125, I know that the bike is strong up to 90 kph on speedo, then it is slowly ticking up slowly and, at best, then get the topspeed 115kph. Was told that the sprocked was cahnged for higher topspeed and in this wind it's not a good idea to do that.

Well, entering gasstation at Sala. The Innova have get most of the time full throttle and gas has just flown thrue. The reserve has winked at 28 km. It´s usually enough to ride with the reserve almost exactly 30 km so it´s in last moment Innovan gets gas.. Quick refueling again. Me and Fotta chat for a while and do not realize that others have taken off already and it gets a little busy for us!

Innovan gets refueling in the last minute. On the pic also the struggeling XR125.

Refueling

....to be continue
Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #149
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Me and Fotta are consequently after the others.. Headwind is still so strong that we realice we can´t catch up the others on own power. Fottas is riding a CBF125, strong machine, but also suffers from the topspeed. We put ourselves in slipstreaming after each other, slip and alternately switching. After a while we catch up with them, it is about the same time as the XR125 begins to lose the leading group.

Headwinds from Enköping has also made me think that all this slipstreaming was the funniest part of the whole journey. Like it lot! However, in Borlänge, it's time for me to turn home. The others are now driving south and I take direction north. My idea is to drive up to Sundsvall for the night. Fatigue is now starting, I've been by this time awake for thirty hours, and except for a cup of coffee not eaten anything since the evening before in Sundsvall.

Hampe with his fast Honda, which he gladly tells often.

Varadero 125, a dreammaskine for a ironbutt ride.

My Innova has now turned the nose home.

Zappa followe with his KTM.

.....to be continue
Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #150
V Saarela OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To the north, passing Falun. Stop in Hofors to make a call to the camping in Sundsvall. My thought is that, when I make my stop there I have been riding more than 1700 kilometers in one ride. The campsite has not quite opened yet, but I may rent a single cottage for 20 euro - Taken!
Expecting to be in Sundsvall about 3 pm and taken now the change to buy a coffee and a cake at the gas station in Hofors. Now discovering that the jaw has been more or less locked after having on me the tight Araihelmet too long. Mash the cake into my mouth, and then wash it down with coffee. Always something!

The weather is pretty good warm, but I'm still freezing anyway. Probably because I had frozen so long and it´now all the way into the marrow. Plenty of time and, still kilometers rolling on, make stops now a little more often, but the 100 kilometers are riding not more fun and this kilometers takes at least two hours. Arriving at the campsite, I'm at four pm there and notice on the speedo. I´ve been riding just over 1700 kilometers in 25 hours.

Taking into the cottage and every button I can read hot, varm and very on, is pressed on. I'm now really hungry, so an already noticed nearby pizzeria will get a visit as soon as the jaw is detached.
After three hours the jaw loose enough so that I can visit the pizzeria. Quick pizza there and I go freezing quickly back to the campsite. Now I notice how hot it is in the cottage. When I walk in, it's like a wall of heat that strikes my face and I realize that, once it's time to sleep, it´s best to reduce the heat, otherwise I wake up at night with a heatstroke.

On the bed.....and I fell directly in sleep with all my clothes on.

A little stop.

The cottage in Sundsvall.