ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 9,499
2015 Moose Run AMA Dual Sport, July 31-August 2

The registration page is now open. The event is centered out of Walden, Colorado.

You can also visit us on the Facebook page.

As in past years, there will be something for everybody. A/B loops will have a gas and water stop at the halfway point. A/B/B+ loops are well arrowed and will have sweep riders.

  • A loop: Emphasis on as much single track as possible. About 100 miles with less than 10 miles of pavement.
  • B+ loop: Some single track, challenging 2-track. About 100 miles.
  • B loop: Some easy single track, scenic 2-strack. About 100 miles
  • C loop: Big bike friendly. Very scenic dirt road loops in North Park.

Admission price includes free camping at the Jackson County Fairgrounds, Saturday dinner, and a T-shirt. There have always been a ton of free giveaways on Saturday night.

We are exploring the possibility of setting up a 2 day women's clinic for intro to dual sport riding. Day one will be basic skills at the fairgrounds. Day 2 will be practice of skills on the trail.

If you would like to help with spring trail clearing and/or help with course work, drop me a line.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"


HellSickle screwed with this post 04-07-2015 at 11:44 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave
 
StmbtDave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Loveland, CO summer - Green Valley, AZ winter
Oddometer: 3,027
The Farcebook page also says this year there will be a road route for those that don't ride single track or dual sport Something for everyone

Dave
__________________
Why are we stopping? We don't have time for that!
StmbtDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 9,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
The Farcebook page also says this year there will be a road route for those that don't ride single track or dual sport Something for everyone

Dave
Correct. They are putting together a paved route for Saturday, with opportunity for a lunch stop someplace. I don't know the current details, but I've heard Saratoga/Centennial suggested.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 19,045
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
NM map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Correct. They are putting together a paved route for Saturday, with opportunity for a lunch stop someplace. I don't know the current details, but I've heard Saratoga/Centennial suggested.
I'd offer multiple paved riding options like other rallies do.
Don't forget big ADV bikes can crunch some serious miles in a day, 300-400 miles.

- 125 north > right 127 > 230 WY > left 130 (snowy range) > optional side trip to saratoga to soak in free hobo springs or pay public pool > 230 south back to colorado > 125 to fairgrounds

- 14 to US40 > steamboat springs (129 north option for easy ADV dirt to WY70) > craig > 13 north to WY > 70 east > 230 > 125 > fairgrounds

-125 south towards Grandby > 40 west thru Kremling > 14 north back to Walden

-125 south towards Grandby > 40 east > 34 into rocky mtn national park > stop in estes park and backtrack

-another easy ADV route is 14 east over cameron pass > laramie river road/103 > wy 10 > 230 south > co 127 > 125 > fairgrounds

and there is even more. i'll send you our Colorado & Wyoming state map and you can post it on a wall for attendees to plan routes. they then can take photos of the map and ride it.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
NM map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 11:19 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Raul Duke
DROC
 
Raul Duke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 1,821
We had a great time last year - hopefully we can make it again this year!
__________________
Help save our trails. Please support:
AMA
BRC
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
OldenSlow
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OldenSlow's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: SE Wyoming
Oddometer: 319
Eats in Encampment



Should the route take you Encampment/Riverside way ... A plug for "D's Bar and Grill" in Encampment. We were filthy dirt-bikers having ridden up from Steamboat on the CDT and various trails. They were very nice to our bunch of ruffians, didn't complain about our washing up in the bathrooms, and even offered to let us camp on-site.

It's a nice, somewhat out-of-the-way place (Compared to the Mangy Moose/Bear Trap which are on the main road) with a covered patio area, backyard horseshoes and a nice dining room. They serve cold and hot beverages.

OldenSlow screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 02:21 PM
OldenSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"
 
darmahman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 3,084
Thinkin the Miata, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
The Farcebook page also says this year there will be a road route for those that don't ride single track or dual sport Something for everyone

Dave
__________________
ABC# - 4011
“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” Honest Abe
The last honest politician to come out of Illinois
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Wudscrasher's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman View Post
Thinkin the Miata, huh?
Zing! First salvo launched!



__________________
"If only we had more of these qualities that dogs magically possess. Dogs are one of Gods gifts to our lives." - Gas Guy
'00 KXDX 220
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
newbreeze
newbreeze
 
newbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
The registration page is now open. The event is centered out of Walden, Colorado.

You can also visit us on the Facebook page.

As in past years, there will be something for everybody. A/B loops will have a gas and water stop at the halfway point. A/B/B+ loops are well arrowed and will have sweep riders.

  • A loop: Emphasis on as much single track as possible. About 100 miles with less than 10 miles of pavement.
  • B+ loop: Some single track, challenging 2-track. About 100 miles.
  • B loop: Some easy single track, scenic 2-strack. About 100 miles
  • C loop: Big bike friendly. Very scenic dirt road loops in North Park.
Admission price includes free camping at the Jackson County Fairgrounds, Saturday dinner, and a T-shirt. There have always been a ton of free giveaways on Saturday night.

We are exploring the possibility of setting up a 2 day women's clinic for intro to dual sport riding. Day one will be basic skills at the fairgrounds. Day 2 will be practice of skills on the trail.

If you would like to help with spring trail clearing and/or help with course work, drop me a line.
I've registered, but I can't afford to pay right this minute. Can I stay registered until the 24th and pay then?
__________________
2002 Yamaha XT225
Looking for adventure, friends, good fishing, ... You know, the usual.
newbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
newbreeze
newbreeze
 
newbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 974
Oh, and I don't have any camping gear. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
The registration page is now open. The event is centered out of Walden, Colorado.

You can also visit us on the Facebook page.

As in past years, there will be something for everybody. A/B loops will have a gas and water stop at the halfway point. A/B/B+ loops are well arrowed and will have sweep riders.

  • A loop: Emphasis on as much single track as possible. About 100 miles with less than 10 miles of pavement.
  • B+ loop: Some single track, challenging 2-track. About 100 miles.
  • B loop: Some easy single track, scenic 2-strack. About 100 miles
  • C loop: Big bike friendly. Very scenic dirt road loops in North Park.
Admission price includes free camping at the Jackson County Fairgrounds, Saturday dinner, and a T-shirt. There have always been a ton of free giveaways on Saturday night.

We are exploring the possibility of setting up a 2 day women's clinic for intro to dual sport riding. Day one will be basic skills at the fairgrounds. Day 2 will be practice of skills on the trail.

If you would like to help with spring trail clearing and/or help with course work, drop me a line.
__________________
2002 Yamaha XT225
Looking for adventure, friends, good fishing, ... You know, the usual.
newbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 9,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbreeze View Post
Oh, and I don't have any camping gear. :(
There are a couple of good motels in Walden.

North Park Inn or the Chedsey. I prefer the Chedsey for price & 1950's charm.

You should probably book at least 2 months in advance, as they will fill up.

I can't answer your question on payment. I didn't think registration actually occurred until payment was made. We have a cap of 250 riders, but we've never come close to hitting the limit.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #13
wbunt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wbunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Pike's Peak
Oddometer: 393
The wife and I have done the C loop two up the last two years . Fun time with great people . Hope to do it again this year .
wbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 19,045
6th & mc farlane which wy70 right at the 90 degree bend on the west side coming into/out of town.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/d...06.7959951,19z


Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenSlow View Post


Should the route take you Encampment/Riverside way ... A plug for "D's Bar and Grill" in Encampment. We were filthy dirt-bikers having ridden up from Steamboat on the CDT and various trails. They were very nice to our bunch of ruffians, didn't complain about our washing up in the bathrooms, and even offered to let us camp on-site.

It's a nice, somewhat out-of-the-way place (Compared to the Mangy Moose/Bear Trap which are on the main road) with a covered patio area, backyard horseshoes and a nice dining room. They serve cold and hot beverages.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
NM map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #15
newbreeze
newbreeze
 
newbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
There are a couple of good motels in Walden.

North Park Inn or the Chedsey. I prefer the Chedsey for price & 1950's charm.

You should probably book at least 2 months in advance, as they will fill up.

I can't answer your question on payment. I didn't think registration actually occurred until payment was made. We have a cap of 250 riders, but we've never come close to hitting the limit.
Well, I paid, but there are no rooms available. :(
__________________
2002 Yamaha XT225
Looking for adventure, friends, good fishing, ... You know, the usual.
newbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015