ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
skidxr OP
Excuses

Oddometer: 376
Durango motorcyclist killed in Utah

http://www.durangoherald.com/article...killed-in-Utah

I didn't know this man nor do I know if he was a member here but I wanted to share this story...

Ride on Ed !!!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 884
Already posted, RIP.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016282
Old 10-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
skidxr OP
Excuses

Oddometer: 376
Cool thanks...
Old 10-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,108
Quote:
Edgar E. Riecke, 69, died at the scene, Dougherty said. He was wearing a helmet, but he rode directly into the path of the tree, he said.
Seems to me the tree was felled directly onto the motorcyclist who rode his bike ON Route 12, not the other way around

Everything in that particular chickenshit article is composed to make it look like some act of higher being- bullshit. This reporter spinner is already softening this up toward the boy scouts NOT being at fault or the direct (and entirely avoidable) cause of this wreck which caused the riders death; of course it was just a crazy "accident" the motorcyclist rode into the direct path of the tree. This was no accident, it was negligent, careless and reckless by the troop leaders, PERIOD.

Aside from the civil suit sure to follow, at a minimum these troop "leaders" should be charged with manslaughter (Felony 4 under Colorado Revised Statues anyway, I'm not familiar with Utah's criminal & traffic code).

I sure hope that Utah DA doesn't pull any punches

Godspeed Mr Riecke, my thoughts are with you and your family

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Seems to me the tree was felled directly onto the motorcyclist who rode his bike ON Route 12, not the other way around

Everything in that particular chickenshit article is composed to make it look like some act of higher being- bullshit. This reporter spinner is already softening this up toward the boy scouts NOT being at fault or the direct (and entirely avoidable) cause of this wreck which caused the riders death; of course it was just a crazy "accident" the motorcyclist rode into the direct path of the tree. This was no accident, it was negligent, careless and reckless by the troop leaders, PERIOD.

Aside from the civil suit sure to follow, at a minimum these troop "leaders" should be charged with manslaughter (Felony 4 under Colorado Revised Statues anyway, I'm not familiar with Utah's criminal & traffic code).

I sure hope that Utah DA doesn't pull any punches

Godspeed Mr Riecke, my thoughts are with you and your family

Which article did you read? The content is pretty much cut and dry quotes from a UT DPS spokesperson

Quote:
A Durango man was killed Saturday in south-central Utah when a falling tree struck him as he rode his motorcycle

. . .

The falling aspen had been cut by two Boy Scouts who were with a group cutting firewood

. . .

Dougherty said the Garfield County district attorney will decide if charges will be filed. As of Monday afternoon, there was no decision, he said.
RIP rider.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Which article did you read? The content is pretty much cut and dry quotes from a UT DPS spokesperson

RIP rider.
The one quoted.

Here's another cherry

Quote:
The accident occurred in the middle of nowhere, Dougherty said.
In the middle of nowhere, nobody would have thought anyone would come along. MINIMIZING the incident by pointing to a remote location (never mind he was on a public highway, not even a trail).

Based on MY experience, there's nothing cut & dry to about it.
But he certainly succeeded in selling it, as obvious by your response.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The one quoted.

Here's another cherry

In the middle of nowhere, nobody would have thought anyone would come along. MINIMIZING the incident by pointing to a remote location (never mind he was on a public highway, not even a trail).

Which is a quote, the reporter didn't say that a DPS spokesperson did, and it was placed in a paragraph specifically describing the location of the accident. The quote highlights this.

I think the scouts were totally at fault, probably to the level of gross negligence. I think it's a tragedy for the rider and his family and the small community which he lived in.

But you're making up conspiracies where there are none, seemingly due to a lack of reading comprehesion.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,130
When Natalie says "Based on MY experience" with something like this, I have no doubt about her comprehension... IMHO, of course. Wings

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Which is a quote, the reporter didn't say that a DPS spokesperson did, and it was placed in a paragraph specifically describing the location of the accident. The quote highlights this.

I think the scouts were totally at fault, probably to the level of gross negligence. I think it's a tragedy for the rider and his family and the small community which he lived in.

But you're making up conspiracies where there are none, seemingly due to a lack of reading comprehesion.
Really? So it never occurred to you the reporter only chose to quote the part of the DPS spokesman's statement that looks cut & dry to his readers? His statement was mostly factual, somewhat CYA. Where is YOUR reading comprehension, seems you're entirely ignoring the lack of reported/quoted info.

And this was NOT an ACCIDENT as you call it, it was a reckless act. It doesn't matter whether you, me or anyone else is sympathetic to the boys involved, the facts are clear. Although that's another point entirely.

Again, I know CRS, not Utah's Criminal Code-I don't pretend to know Utah's.

18-3-104 Manslaughter
(F4) is defined under the Colorado Criminal Code as:

"A person commits the crime of manslaughter if such a person recklessly causes the death of another person."

Same definition since 1996.

As opposed to

18-3-105 Criminally negligent homicide
(F5):

"A person who causes the death of another person by conduct amounting to criminal negligence commits criminally negligent homicide."

The County DA has to step careful here, a case like this can make or break them in the next elections. He's not committing yet one way or another: at least a part of his decision to charge a Felony filing will be influenced by public opinion (yes, that's how it works, whether you believe it or not. And still no conspiracy-just politics. And this is how it's done, all over the US).

If the public leans toward holding the people involved accountable and the DA decides to charge with a misdemeanor (such as under the traffic code) he's not likely to make voters happy-or the other way around.

From both the DPS statement and the reporter's choice of words, I believe they both certainly are sympathetic to the BS and are attempting to minimize the involvement of the BS.

With any case, it shouldn't be a great mystery an incident can and will be presented by people who lean toward one way or another to help the outcome of the case they're about to present. You really think they have no opinion and are completely unbiased in their reporting? Funny indeed, still no conspiracy.

If you don't believe the DA's office will do their best to get the results THEY want, you are extremely naive-you go ahead and believe what you want, their choice of current words makes me believe they are in fact sympathetic to the BS in this case and they will NOT charge to the fullest extent of the law unless the public tone is such that they feel pressured to file felony charges.

This early after an incident, anyone's guess is good; but I guarantee the folks in charge will be paying VERY careful attention to the public on this one.

I've built my opinion through having worked in this environment and having seen it from the inside out, I guess that's my big conspiracy Hardly. Firmly believing everybody involved is doing what's in THEIR best interest? Absodamnlutely.

And then there's the fact that between 10 boy scouts and 8 adults they weren't enough conscious people around to supervise the kids running around the woods with chainsaws felling trees instead of bucking up the deadwood EVERYWHERE around them (enough deadwood in that pic to heat my place through winter.

It's unfortunate you choose to attack my opinion (which is simply that, MY opinion) with derogatory crap & conspiracies, but you go bud! Show your best side and shine, sweet bliss to you.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
When Natalie says "Based on MY experience" with something like this, I have no doubt about her comprehension... IMHO, of course. Wings
Thanks FC It's OK, some people feel you only read the reported quotes to understand what's happening

All good except for the loss of Mr Riecke's life and the stupid thing the kids did they'll never ever forget

Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Really? So it never occurred to you the reporter only chose to quote the part of the DPS spokesman's statement that looks cut & dry to his readers? His statement was mostly factual, somewhat CYA. Where is YOUR reading comprehension, seems you're entirely ignoring the lack of reported/quoted info.

And this was NOT an ACCIDENT as you call it, it was a reckless act. It doesn't matter whether you, me or anyone else is sympathetic to the boys involved, the facts are clear. Although that's another point entirely.

Again, I know CRS, not Utah's Criminal Code-I don't pretend to know Utah's.

18-3-104 Manslaughter
(F4) is defined under the Colorado Criminal Code as:

"A person commits the crime of manslaughter if such a person recklessly causes the death of another person."

Same definition since 1996.

As opposed to

18-3-105 Criminally negligent homicide
(F5):

"A person who causes the death of another person by conduct amounting to criminal negligence commits criminally negligent homicide."

The County DA has to step careful here, a case like this can make or break them in the next elections. He's not committing yet one way or another: at least a part of his decision to charge a Felony filing will be influenced by public opinion (yes, that's how it works, whether you believe it or not. And still no conspiracy-just politics. And this is how it's done, all over the US).

If the public leans toward holding the people involved accountable and the DA decides to charge with a misdemeanor (such as under the traffic code) he's not likely to make voters happy-or the other way around.

From both the DPS statement and the reporter's choice of words, I believe they both certainly are sympathetic to the BS and are attempting to minimize the involvement of the BS.

With any case, it shouldn't be a great mystery an incident can and will be presented by people who lean toward one way or another to help the outcome of the case they're about to present. You really think they have no opinion and are completely unbiased in their reporting? Funny indeed, still no conspiracy.

If you don't believe the DA's office will do their best to get the results THEY want, you are extremely naive-you go ahead and believe what you want, their choice of current words makes me believe they are in fact sympathetic to the BS in this case and they will NOT charge to the fullest extent of the law unless the public tone is such that they feel pressured to file felony charges.

This early after an incident, anyone's guess is good; but I guarantee the folks in charge will be paying VERY careful attention to the public on this one.

I've built my opinion through having worked in this environment and having seen it from the inside out, I guess that's my big conspiracy Hardly. Firmly believing everybody involved is doing what's in THEIR best interest? Absodamnlutely.

And then there's the fact that between 10 boy scouts and 8 adults they weren't enough conscious people around to supervise the kids running around the woods with chainsaws felling trees instead of bucking up the deadwood EVERYWHERE around them (enough deadwood in that pic to heat my place through winter.

It's unfortunate you choose to attack my opinion (which is simply that, MY opinion) with derogatory crap & conspiracies, but you go bud! Show your best side and shine, sweet bliss to you.
Quite the response.

I agree with a majority of your opinion, it's an aggressive attitude that somehow a small town newspaper can get their act together long enough to push an agenda that I find laughable.

I, as were you, calling it how I saw it.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:

Aside from the civil suit sure to follow......
Sure to follow? You shouldn't assume that everyone who loses a family member in such an accident is looking to "cash in" on their loved one's death. Sometimes bad things happen, and no amount of money is going to change that or make it better.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Sure to follow? You shouldn't assume that everyone who loses a family member in such an accident is looking to "cash in" on their loved one's death. Sometimes bad things happen, and no amount of money is going to change that or make it better.
Good point-although IMO, in most cases, it has nothing to do with "cashing in" and a lot with holding people accountable for their actions, especially in a case like this and in the possible absence of criminal charges being filed (at least for now).

I don't know of your personal or professional experience, I certainly wouldn't accuse a family member who's just lost a loved one to a reckless, entirely avoidable act that killed their family member of being money greedy bastards looking to cash in.

In my experience, most people are too decent to think that way and they simply want to hold people accountable. And yes, I have also personally encountered a few that did, but the odds were a lot higher through professional daily exposure to a group of less honest, decent folks-they were not exactly pillars of the community to begin with.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
The one quoted.

Here's another cherry

Love the "middle of nowhere" definition. I was camped along this route in 3 different places last month, and it is a relatively busy and popular tourist route...hardly barren of vehicles or people.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote