ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
coarsegoldkid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Looking for Day rides- Torrey, UT

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I might have an opportunity to ride my 690 Enduro around the Torrey area next week. I'll be with a friend with a lot less experience on dirt than pavement. We are both mid-sixty year old farts. If you know some easy to moderate challenging off-road trails pass them my way. We will be base out of Torrey. If I don't use them this year I may get to next year.
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
There is awesome stuff north and west of Torrey crossing the western side of the swell on some of those dirt roads that are on the maps. I'll try to dig up more details but we had a blast out there. Built for a 690e...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,544
Head east out of town, towards Hanksville, then turn north after about twelve miles. Ford the Fremont river -- it's a pretty easy fording -- and head north west on Hartnet Rd to FS road 22 and on to FS road 206. 206 keeps going in a north westerly direction and dumps you out on highway 72 which you can follow south to Loa and then back to Torrey via highway 24.

Here are a couple of Fremont river fording pictures (not my pictures because ... just can't find any of them).
Looks harder than it is here; this is probably the highest water lever I've ever seen there:

Same location with lower water level:

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,501
2 suggestions:

Head west out of town, about 3 or 4 miles there's a trail going north, it's the Great Western Trail, very scenic and overlooks Capitol Reef NP. you can make a loop of it through Cathedral Valley but it gets a little difficult near the top. On a 690 taking it easy I'd suggest an out and back.

Great Western Trail out of Torrey

second suggestion is to head back towards Hanksville and turn west into Cathedral Valley through the main entrance. It's a nice ride out into the valley with some great scenery.

Cathedral Valley

Racing the Storm also in Cath. Valley

PM me with an email address if you need tracks.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Christianbenzon1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
If you head into the Capitol Reef Visitor center there is a 10 mile scenic road that leaves from the visitor center.

At the end of the 10 mile road you come to a fork that turns to dirt an you can go left to Capitol Gorge which is a very pretty drive but dead ends.

Or if you turn right it's called Pleasant Creek and also turns to dirt and will take you up to Lower Bowns Reservoir on Highway 12 about 30 miles South of Torrey. This is an awesome loop that has a lot of variety. One section of the trail is a bit rocky but otherwise pretty easy and is probably a 3-4 hour round trip from Torrey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christianbenzon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Christianbenzon1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Let me know if you'd like gpx tracks.

Christianbenzon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianbenzon1 View Post
If you head into the Capitol Reef Visitor center there is a 10 mile scenic road that leaves from the visitor center.

At the end of the 10 mile road you come to a fork that turns to dirt an you can go left to Capitol Gorge which is a very pretty drive but dead ends.

Or if you turn right it's called Pleasant Creek and also turns to dirt and will take you up to Lower Bowns Reservoir on Highway 12 about 30 miles South of Torrey. This is an awesome loop that has a lot of variety. One section of the trail is a bit rocky but otherwise pretty easy and is probably a 3-4 hour round trip from Torrey.

We did this last year and loved the dirt road out the south end of Capitol Reef. We tried to go up Chokecherry trail up to Boulder Top which picks up close to where you come out onto 12, but it was a little too difficult for a couple of the guys.

Instead we went down to Boulder and went up to Hell's Backbone and continued on easy forest roads up to 24 just west of Torrey. It was a long day maybe 145 miles. There is gas in Boulder.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
We did this last year and loved the dirt road out the south end of Capitol Reef. We tried to go up Chokecherry trail up to Boulder Top which picks up close to where you come out onto 12, but it was a little too difficult for a couple of the guys.

Instead we went down to Boulder and went up to Hell's Backbone and continued on easy forest roads up to 24 just west of Torrey. It was a long day maybe 145 miles. There is gas in Boulder.
Just got back last evening from my Dixie forest trip in that area, and it was great. I'll update on the Chokecherry report and other issues. On your mention of the section of off road from Capitol Reef to the south and connect with hwy 12, that Pleasant Creek/South Draw route toward Tantalus was rougher than a cobb. It was a fun ride, but erosion had played heck with a good portion of it. In fact it was pretty torn up all the way south from where you cross Pleasant Creek to Tantalus Flats. And this erosion was before the big rain in the area that occurred on the 9th. That one even washed out the Cottonwood road from Cannonville to hwy 89. I got to ride Cottonwood but just had to do an out-and-back.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Colorado Uli

OK, coarsegoldkid.

You asked the question and six perfect strangers took the time to respond and sacrifice their time to help you out.

Now, after a week, it's time for you to post up and let us know if any of our suggestions are helpful. In other words, it's time for you to let us know that our time was appreciated or if it was a complete waste.

I really don't mean to sound grumpy -- but I know that I'm coming across that way (blaming the terrible coffee in the office) -- but after years of responding to folks from all over the world who seek our local knowledge, I'm beginning to think that perhaps some of that good will was wasted.
All I ask for is an "OK, thanks for your input. Will consider it." Not too much, is it?

Das KTM520
Old 09-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,160
Eek This one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
2 suggestions:

Head west out of town, about 3 or 4 miles there's a trail going north, it's the Great Western Trail, very scenic and overlooks Capitol Reef NP. you can make a loop of it through Cathedral Valley but it gets a little difficult near the top.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
That's why we travel light and ride a fast horse
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
coarsegoldkid OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
OK, coarsegoldkid.

You asked the question and six perfect strangers took the time to respond and sacrifice their time to help you out.

Now, after a week, it's time for you to post up and let us know if any of our suggestions are helpful. In other words, it's time for you to let us know that our time was appreciated or if it was a complete waste.

I really don't mean to sound grumpy -- but I know that I'm coming across that way (blaming the terrible coffee in the office) -- but after years of responding to folks from all over the world who seek our local knowledge, I'm beginning to think that perhaps some of that good will was wasted.
All I ask for is an "OK, thanks for your input. Will consider it." Not too much, is it?
I agree. All the responders deserve a healthy big THANK YOU. What you have done is a wonderful thing not just for me and my buddy but for anyone that may also see this thread. I've been away from the computer for several days and so beg for your indulgence.
I have digested all the input. Each suggestion will be attempted as far as I can tell. I've looked at Google and Garmin maps to follow the input. I have requested tracks from those that offered. The received tracks, as well as some I created that connect with all of your tracks, are now in my Zumo. I'll be leaving Wednesday morning for Torrey. We will have Friday, Saturday and Sunday to explore them and very much look forward to it.
When I return I'll post pics and a short ride report.
Thanks again
Old 09-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
OK, coarsegoldkid.

+10 It is amazing how many people ask for advice and then you never hear another word from them. The good side is that the rest of us also benefit from the suggestions and subsequent discussions.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #14
Colorado Uli

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
I agree. All the responders deserve a healthy big THANK YOU. What you have done is a wonderful thing not just for me and my buddy but for anyone that may also see this thread. I've been away from the computer for several days and so beg for your indulgence.
I have digested all the input. Each suggestion will be attempted as far as I can tell. I've looked at Google and Garmin maps to follow the input. I have requested tracks from those that offered. The received tracks, as well as some I created that connect with all of your tracks, are now in my Zumo. I'll be leaving Wednesday morning for Torrey. We will have Friday, Saturday and Sunday to explore them and very much look forward to it.
When I return I'll post pics and a short ride report.
Thanks again

Great to hear that you're going to have an adventure out in the Utah wilds. You'll love it.
Thanks for responding here!

Cheers!

Das KTM520
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #15
coarsegoldkid OP
Studly Adventurer

As promised here are a few highlights of my Torrey area off-road riding. Barry and I arrived Thursday about 3pm to an almost empty Chuckwagon motel parking lot. I expected to see numerous BMW riders as this weekend was an annual BMWST.com event. Actually twice a year. Anyway we got settled in and unloaded the bikes, got a our gear on and headed out about 4pm on the Great Western trail beginning on the west edge of town. Our northerly heading was pretty easy going for the most part. We stopped many times to capture the beautiful landscape.
It soon became very rocky and began a steep climb up a ATV(50inch) trail through Aspen stands. Many of the Aspens were still green but we were also greeted with yellows and flaming orange leaves. One section was dotted yellow against a dark moist trail. I wanted to stop for pics but didn't want to lose the momentum among the boulder strewn incline. Sorry about that.
Barry riding his DRZ400S was having a tough time with the rocky trail. I thought he was doing well considering he hadn't ridden much of this type of terrain and we are well into our sixties. After about 15 miles the sun was setting quickly behind the mountain. I really wasn't sure how much farther we would have to dodge the boulders so I decided we should turn back and try another time.
The next day we were joined by Mikko on a KLX250. The weather was picture perfect all day. I chose to take us on the Harnet Rd and pickup the Cathederal Valley Rd for the complete loop of about 65 easy miles. The surface looked in places to get very slippery if rain on. We had sun. Sand was firm enough in all places not to get the bikes out of shape at all. In fact we were "hauling the mail". Mikko also has a R1200GS and stated that except for a short section of downhill he thought a GS rider would have an easy time. So GS riders don't miss this loop.
On Saturday the weather was rainy. Barry opted to truck it over to Fish Lake to see the colors with another attendee of the event. Mikko and I donned our jackets and headed out in the rain toward the fish hatchery near Bicknell. We turned left onto a short section of pavement which joined a hard pack dirt road. Traction was good, visibility was poor. We were in the clouds and it was cold but the rain had ceased.
Along the way we were entertained by wisps of crystal white clouds hovering over the dirt road. Possey Lake gave us a break to get off the bikes and walk around a bit. It's a beautiful place for camping or picnic.
I was getting more and more confident with the road surface and began really pushing the 690 through the twisty corners on our way to Hell's Backbone. There's a bridge by the same name on the road worth a stop to see the sights. Then on to Boulder for lunch. Very nearly in Boulder there's a sign stating view point ahead 1/4 mile. Shortly after the sign was a turnoff so like a nitwit I road up that one. At the end was a dumpsite. We had a long laugh thinking this is what the Boulder residents call a view point. Actually we should have kept riding the 1/4mile. However undaunted by such a mistake I decided to take it off-road, cross country as it were, for the edge of the large crevasse for further inspection and photos.
While we ate in Boulder at the grill at the corner of the Burr Trail Rd a hell of a storm blew in. Wind, rain, hail and it was time to leave. We waited it out a bit and we just rain to contend with we rode back to Torrey.
Sunday morning came and it looked promising with blue sky. Barry was game, Mikko and I were game, and two brothers, Rick from Las Vegas and Brian from somewhere in Minnie-soda, and good friend Ed from Hurricane, Ut. joined us. I was assigned with the route and figured they should not miss the Hell's Backbone so we did that again.
The temps were colder on Sunday but not raining until just before returning to Torrey.
I have pics and will add them in due time. But now I must get my laundry done as I'm leaving tomorrow for riding in the Mendocino Forest on Thursday and Friday.