User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
StreetTracker OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Cool2 new -- Vulcan S - - from Kawasaki

While looking on the web the past few weeks, I was looking for new bikes from the major manufactures with some character, which has been lacking among the Japanese makers for the last decade, but I did notice the new Vulcan S ! Sure , it does copy some styling trends, but at least it looks like something new.

Here's the official Kawasaki site:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-VULCAN-S-ABS

(Sorry can't post an image directly yet, maybe a fellow inmate can do it for now-- )

I'm surprised nobody has posted anything yet, did I miss it? I'm curious to know what others think!

StreetTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
LPRoad
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 301
Good looking bike to my eyes. There is actually a thread going already, but it has been dormant for a while.http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=Vulcan
Old 01-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
i like this bike a lot. seems cruiser aficionados consider it small and somewhat novel judging from some of the posts in that thread. i think one rider said its "ok for what it is."

not being a fan of cruisers what it is to me is a cruiser i'd actually consider owning and riding. question is...is it a "legit" cruiser a harley guy would buy and ride...or simply "something else?"
Old 01-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 286
There's a thread on it here with some pictures.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017028

I like it.
eric1514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
i like this bike a lot. seems cruiser aficionados consider it small and somewhat novel judging from some of the posts in that thread. i think one rider said its "ok for what it is."

not being a fan of cruisers what it is to me is a cruiser i'd actually consider owning and riding. question is...is it a "legit" cruiser a harley guy would buy and ride...or simply "something else?"
My guess is probably a big NO for most Harley guys, dudeclone. But maybe for the utes, especially urban ones. Also for starter bikes. I imagine a lot like the Vulcan 500 filled a small niche, except this one does it with a much cooler motor and less traditional styling. Hope it sells well. If only I could own a third or fourth "kick around" bike ....

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 790
love it. great looking urban cruiser with a peppy engine. hope to see a few here in seattle so i can get my serious envy goin' on...

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,823
Yeah, it's pretty cool. I'm interested to see how it rides and handles.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,974

Not bad.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 5,181
We need more sporty performance cruisers that are affordable. The pegs look pretty high on this one. Could be fun.
Naturally, the common people don't want war; ... the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country - Hermann Goring
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Yeah, check out the other thread mentioned above. I am pretty sure I read that the foot peg position is easily adjustable on this new Vulcan S. I like it a lot. I have heard nothing but good things about this engine also used in the ER6N, Ninja, and the adventure styled model, whose name escapes me right now. As I pointed out in the other thread, as many may not know this, is that the 650 water cooled vertical twin engine has, what HD used to call on the earlier Sportsers, a trap door transmission. Meaning, if you need internal transmission work, the engine has an access cover that you remove, and pull the whole gear cluster out. Meaning, that this is probably the only Japanese bike that you do not have to pull the engine and split the cases to fix a trans problem. I have read that an HD tech can have the pre-2004 Sportster trans gear cluster out in under an hour.

This is one of those features that doesn't get a lot of fanfare. I have only seen it mentioned in like the first review of the 650 Ninja, and, on all the following models using that engine, it was never mentioned.

Another feature I appreciate is that the rear shock 1.has no linkage, and 2. is easily accessed from the side. So, adjusting the shock should be a snap. No shock linkage with bushings that need lubing and wear out, etc.

And, that green color is growing on me.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
This is one of those features that doesn't get a lot of fanfare. I have only seen it mentioned in like the first review of the 650 Ninja, and, on all the following models using that engine, it was never mentioned.
Kawasaki builds great motors. I bet that feature is very rarely used. None of my Japanese bikes have ever needed transmission work.
Naturally, the common people don't want war; ... the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country - Hermann Goring
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
My guess is probably a big NO for most Harley guys, dudeclone. But maybe for the utes, especially urban ones. Also for starter bikes. I imagine a lot like the Vulcan 500 filled a small niche, except this one does it with a much cooler motor and less traditional styling. Hope it sells well. If only I could own a third or fourth "kick around" bike ....
yeah seems modern and cool and good for the city commute. would def check one out as a "first" cruiser for just about anyone. and the price is right imo. takes luggage well, too. they made some for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
We need more sporty performance cruisers that are affordable. The pegs look pretty high on this one. Could be fun.
sitting on a couple at the IMS those pegs are indeed widely adjustable. as well as the seat. the bike also comes with a choice of bars

i really appreciated this as they had one set up for "short" riders with higher, closer in bars and the seat and pegs adjusted accordingly. i sat on it and the bike felt small and a def no go. they had another set up for "max" reach to bars and pegs and it fit my 6'3 frame perfectly. bike no longer felt too small and the comfort was exceptional. could see myself riding the thing all day

pretty good execution integrated with the bike, and no aftermarket fuss at all. very impressed with the whole set up
Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #13
TxRoadDog
Shut up and ride

Oddometer: 288
Quote:

I'm a harley nut, and I would buy one and ride the shit out of it, but my Harley, and my idea of what a Harley really should be is not like what other people think or want though. No softails or geezer glides in my garage, except FL pans and shovels. If it's not a shovel/evo FXR or Evo FXD I won't ride it. Softails...
Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,823
Quote:
very impressed with the whole set up
Yeah, me too. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

You can pipe and tune the 650 to over 75hp. And as much fun as the Ninja 500 was to ride, winding it out instead of short shifting a big twin, I bet this will be a lot of the same kind of fun.

And probably if you can get some decent lean angle out of it then it'll be super fun to ride. But definitely it'll be fun in town and squirting around on backroads.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #15
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
kraven, I rode an older Ninja 500, and really liked it. A coworker pestered me till I finally sold it to him just to shut him up. Really nice 500cc engine. Fast enough for me for solo riding. 66 mpg. Rev it up, and it sang. If I happened to run into a new one in a box, I'd grab it.

Since I really liked the 500, I'm sure I'd like any of the models with the new 650cc engine.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote