Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #31
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 63,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCeeGS
Does anyone rebuild the ESA shocks, or is that service likely to become available in the future?
With the new Strada 1200 being available with the Italian equivalent of ESA, that package can include electronically controlled Ohlins shocks.

Can replacements for BWM ESA be far away?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #32
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 827
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino
My intention was to get an RC8R as soon as possible, but changes to KTM's dealer policy meant that my favorite dealer, the one I bought 3 KTMs from in 2008, is no longer selling street bikes.
That sux - I know the feeling.

Thanks for sharing
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #33
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
With the new Strada 1200 being available with the Italian equivalent of ESA, that package can include electronically controlled Ohlins shocks.

I hear it's not currently cost effective to rebuild the ESA shocks - and that those in that situation simply swap out for regular Ohlins.

I thought I heard/read that Wilber's maybe makes a set of adjustables for the K13S... not sure.
IBA #30079
Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #34
lucky6600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Ha ha... yes, it makes no sense, I know.

I ride the K1300S 99% of the time, the other bikes are just for track days and occasional local rides, and for me to be happy when I get up in the morning. I rarely hit the canyons these days - I did a lot of that years ago, but now I find it boring and terrifying at the same time. The more you ride the track, the more scared you become of the crazy people in the canyons.

To answer the other questions: I have since sold the RC8 (it is now a friend's track bike, so she is not too far from me) and also the SuperDuke R (also to a local guy from another forum).

I have since bought an HP2 Sport, which is easily the craziest, strangest bike I've ever owned. Not much experience riding it yet, since it immediately developed an oil leak and the gorgeous dash died; both issues have been addressed under warranty. At the same time I had the dealer install a ceramic slipper clutch (boy does that bike need it). I look forward to riding the bike once it's finally all ready.

My intention was to get an RC8R as soon as possible, but changes to KTM's dealer policy meant that my favorite dealer, the one I bought 3 KTMs from in 2008, is no longer selling street bikes. My options in dealerships are not acceptable to me, and I am not about to buy a $24K KTM bike from a dealership I don't trust. I had too much experience with the orange bikes to do that.

I think I'll stick to my BMWs for now, and maybe get a HyperMotard 1100 EVO or the new Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 (if they bring it to the US) this winter.
I test rode a HP2 sport few weeks ago. The funny part is I rode 3 hr one way to try it on for not even 15 mins and gave up on it. It only took me 5 mins to make me missing my K1200S comfort ride. The riding position is way too aggressive for my standard, and I felt I was riding on top of the gas tank. Other than that, it's a very special bike. Damn.... still thinking about it
lucky6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #35
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX
I hear it's not currently cost effective to rebuild the ESA shocks - and that those in that situation simply swap out for regular Ohlins.

I thought I heard/read that Wilber's maybe makes a set of adjustables for the K13S... not sure.
Not true at all:

http://www.worksperformance.com/html...s_bmw_esa.html

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...&Number=547506
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #36
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

I understand they exist for the 1200, but I thought the 1300 was a different application (ESA II)?
IBA #30079
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #37
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Makwell
I envy your collection!

I'd love to add a K1300S and a SD or Hypermotard to the stable, but my wife is only just getting used to me having two BMWs and business is tough at the moment...

Oh and bikes down under here cost twice as much what you Yanks pay for them. But still, owning five premium bikes still costs a bit - what the hell do you do for a living, if you dont mind me asking?
I don't mind at all - I write video games, been doing it for a very long time. I have been lucky enough to work on some of the most popular games of all time, and in 2003 I co-founded a new studio with two partners.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #38
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky6600
I test rode a HP2 sport few weeks ago. The funny part is I rode 3 hr one way to try it on for not even 15 mins and gave up on it. It only took me 5 mins to make me missing my K1200S comfort ride. The riding position is way too aggressive for my standard, and I felt I was riding on top of the gas tank. Other than that, it's a very special bike. Damn.... still thinking about it
The HP2 ergos are definitely aggressive, but the bike is still roomy and I find it relatively comfortable. It's no K1x00S, that's for sure, but I don't find it punishing like the Ducati superbikes I tried, for example.

It's a really odd beast - a bike difficult to ride well until you really get used to its quirks. The engine feels really stressed, and it seems... wrong to rev that bigass boxer so high . Gear changes can really upset the chassis - overall the bike feels angry and rough, nothing like the smooth, refined feel of the typical BMW twin. As I said, she needs a slipper clutch really badly.

Definitely a bike with a ton of soul, and people generally either love it or hate it, nothing in between. I am in the former camp, of course... I can get lost just looking at the details on it. It is simply gorgeous in the metal, and each ride feels like something special.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #39
scrannel
Scrannel

Quote:
I understand they exist for the 1200, but I thought the 1300 was a different application (ESA II)?
Well, now you made me call and ask; here's the deal: yes, they want to make one for the K1300s, but so far none of them have gone south. But... the first guy who's bike needs a replacement, bring it in so they can sort it and they will give somekinda huge discount.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #40
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

scrannel,

You talking about (having called and talked to) Works?

If so, I'd consider letting them have my bike for a while (even though the stockers are fine) - they're close enough.

Maybe we can take this off-line.
IBA #30079
Old 08-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #41
scrannel
Scrannel

Quote:
scrannel,

You talking about (having called and talked to) Works?

If so, I'd consider letting them have my bike for a while (even though the stockers are fine) - they're close enough.

Maybe we can take this off-line.
OK PM me when you get a chance. Yes, I talked with Works.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #42
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Oddometer: 11,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa

Isn't there an advert for such things in the current MOA mag? Hyperpro maybe?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #43
ww73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I test rode the K12S and K13S back to back today. Between the two, I prefer the... K12S.

I was surprised at this conclusion. First, the similarities. Both are fast bikes. Great brakes. Lots of electronics. Smooth gearbox. What surprised me was the difference in power delivery.

The K13 felt very refined, such that even at warp speed, the bike felt very stable, and dare I say... slow?

On the other hand, the K12 was lesser on power, but felt more raw and edgy. When you roll on the throttle it just wants to buck.

My comparison would be that the 13 is more of a touring bike, and the 12 is more of a sport bike. My impression of a hyper bike is that it's a big sport bike, and with sport bikes, I like to feel the power of the engine, so for me the 12 is better.
ww73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #44
lucky6600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
I thought K13 is the fix for the rough K12?
lucky6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #45
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
I don't mind at all - I write video games, been doing it for a very long time. I have been lucky enough to work on some of the most popular games of all time, and in 2003 I co-founded a new studio with two partners.
Many thanks for answering- well done on your success.

btw, an K1300S with all the fruit is almost $AUD30,000 down here.

My R1200RT cost over $AUD32,000 (although I lease it as my "company" vehicle, so fully tax deductible, thank Dog.)

You know, having ridden both the SD and the 950SM, I'd prefer the SM motor (i.e carbed) in the SD chassis......just a thought.

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote