Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #271
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
Suspect that the issue is not the gearbox or final drive seal that you replaced, given the swingarm & shaft are effectively sealed (except for the swingarms pivots as you discovered earlier). May well be '5', in the first diagram, and '3' in the second.

Worthwhile saving this link for the part nos & exploded diagrams.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 01-28-2011 at 09:13 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #272
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
(really worried about the lack of a proper bash guard)
Once you get it going again I may have an option for you. Accidental double purchase!

Bike looks great in action, by the way.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #273
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,360
I'll have a look next weekend however both of those seals have been replaced. I have a funny feeling it will be the gearbox seal but will keep you posted.

Thanks for the link.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #274
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
I'll have a look next weekend however both of those seals have been replaced. I have a funny feeling it will be the gearbox seal but will keep you posted. Thanks for the link.
So you're saying M fully rebuilt the final drive? I thought he was replacing '4'.

Slightly off topic (but I know Pademi will also be interested) - Igormortis, you were posting in X3300's thread re getting some of his frame braces. Any progress on this? Also I see you bought the TT bashplate & oil spacer ring. That going to go on your std R80?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #275
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 835
I can certainly see why people like these bikes after having a wee squirt on Schmitty. Definitly has "character" and a very planted feel even with stuffed shocks and dodgy brakes Piglett (the boy) had a little ride around the campground in Alex and I think he was sold too.
Looking forward to having another ride as things progress and you get the bugs sorted there Padders
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #276
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Ok does this look right?

Looks like "just" a blown shock. BTDT. The oily mess doesn't get far enough up the swingarm for it to be the gearbox.
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #277
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

I originally thought that too. The shock had been leaking. But then looked at the wheel and hub, & the amt of oil there. Also don't think it's the gearbox. Padmei, when you get the bike back, drop the rear wheel. If you have oil in the hub (brake), then that'll be a big clue where its come from.

BTW, you need to get the plastic swingarm pivot cover - it's not just cosmetic..

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 02:04 AM
Old 01-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #278
Padmei OP
enamoured

Hey you lil Dutchie.
You're right about the shock however that's been blowing for a few weeks now It's alright cos I've got 2 other rooted shocks in the wkshop so will start up a lil museum ehihibition & charge an entry fee.

Nutso I'm not quite sure which seal got replaced - I didn't really have a good look but thought there was only one... however I still reckon it's the gearbox however you are a lot more experenced in the way of the airhead so i'll defer to your wider knowledge.

I went for a ride on the KLR today & far out even that has brilliant suspension compared to the old springer. Really looking forward to getting it sorted so I can flick off the KLR & get a lite bike for the forest & dunes.

Thanks for the offer of the bash guard Igormortis however I really bought this as a project to learn & make as much stuff as I can - a bashguard will be made up soon tho. I am interested in the sound of the frame braces tho... Hmm I feel a plasma cutter calling me

Lastly I will paint it soon - I think white will be nice. Hopefully people won't point & laugh so much at it (or me sob...)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #279
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
BTW, you need to get the plastic swingarm pivot cover - it's not just cosmetic..
Yep that came off somewhere as did the timing hole bung. They're not weight saving losses.

Just remembered what I omitted in the DB write up.
On the ride from Chch to Fairlie we had to ride up a reasonably long steepish hill. I wouldn't describe it as knarly or anything too long or extreme however at the top there was a noticeable amount of oil on the front rubber gaiter & collector. 'Rats' I thought & thought it was the gearbox seal gone then (paranoid maybe about the gearbox) however Jatz pointed out it was coming from above the airbox.

I realised that it was coming out of the old speedo cable that I had cut & used as the gearbox breather. After blowing into the pipe (Mmmmm hypoid) I was satisfied it wasn't blocked so mopped up the oil.

Later I called into the Fairlie garage to buy some more oil & stuck my finger in the filler hole to find oil at the edge of the filler hole. The bike riding mechanic repeated to me what all the other guys told me when I stopped to check it out , that a small amount of oil can look like a shitload.

Seemed fine after that but Iwas left wondering how pressure could havebeen built up inthe gearbox enough to blow out thru the breather. Obviously the breather was covered by the oil on the hill climb but still???

Anyway thanks for listening & rock on
Old 01-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #280
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Quote:
However at the top there was a noticeable amount of oil on the front rubber gaiter & collector.Jatz pointed out it was coming from above the airbox. Obviously the breather was covered by the oil on the hill climb but still???
The gearbox oil is heavy, & froths in use. A splash into the 'breather' and some pressure would do the rest.

Other places to check include:

1. In the airbox below the filter - to see if the engine breather has been dumping oil in there. There is a 'duckbill' breather at the back of the gearbox to let go excess pressure. The duckbill lips get hard as they get older & don't seal too well. Potentially this can look as if oil is coming from there;

2. Make sure that the bolt at the bottom inside of the airbox is done up securely. This goes straight into the gearbox. Its not unknown for oil to vent out of that.

But still think it's your FD seal (& maybe your shock). Unless the gaiters have a split in them?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #281
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
There appeared to be a lot of oil being lost, when Padmei parked up in Lawrence it was leaving a good sized puddle underneath the end of the shaft.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #282
Padmei OP
enamoured

I really wanted to recommend this video as I watched it & absolutely loved it.

Then I started reading all the negative posts about it & was unsure if it was cool after all.

Then I watched it again - I fricking love it FTrednecks.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654583

Inspires me to carry on building Schmidtty to how I want it to look
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #283
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,081
Next will be the beard and 3/4 helmet
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #284
kiwial
Allweatherrider

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Hey you lil Dutchie.
You're right about the shock however that's been blowing for a few weeks now It's alright cos I've got 2 other rooted shocks in the wkshop so will start up a lil museum ehihibition & charge an entry fee.

Nutso I'm not quite sure which seal got replaced - I didn't really have a good look but thought there was only one... however I still reckon it's the gearbox however you are a lot more experenced in the way of the airhead so i'll defer to your wider knowledge.

I went for a ride on the KLR today & far out even that has brilliant suspension compared to the old springer. Really looking forward to getting it sorted so I can flick off the KLR & get a lite bike for the forest & dunes.

Thanks for the offer of the bash guard Igormortis however I really bought this as a project to learn & make as much stuff as I can - a bashguard will be made up soon tho. I am interested in the sound of the frame braces tho... Hmm I feel a plasma cutter calling me

Lastly I will paint it soon - I think white will be nice. Hopefully people won't point & laugh so much at it (or me sob...)
White is not such a bad color...
Attached Images

kiwial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #285
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
That yours, kiwial? I love it!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote