User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Pissed Grand Canyon Senior Solo

Decided to head off at 5:00am on my Barkalounger/Honda & head up towards Grand Canyon & do the whole loop on dirt in a day Well as usual I over estimated my ablities & did not complete my ride.
Started off early, sun coming up, awsome sky's in AZ.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Heading east on Perkinsvill Rd out of Chino Valley.
[IMG][/IMG]
Perkinsville Bridge & then up fr354
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
354 a little rutted from the rain & a few rocky ups to make it fun.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Up into the green,green forest.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Into Williams, gased up & heading northwest on Country Club & followed it over & intersected the trail & route we had been on a few weeks back. Confident & armed with my trusty Etrex GPS that is no longer just a prop on my handlebars, there for looks only?
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
After turning onto the road next to the RR tracks I stoped & activated the track on my GPS to follow. As I am sitting there low & behold up behind me comes a skip loader & a guy in a RR pickup. He gets out & informs me I can't ride on this road! Not wanting to argue as he is bigger than me I told him my plan & he said keep heading west, go north on the pavment & I would find a road heading east that would eventually go under the tracks. He knew no number or name. Well after about an hour & a half & a few dead ends into rock quarrys I found my way & headed up to Tusayan. The road along the tracks, close to the Canyon is still my favorite Rd.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Stoped for lunch at MCDs hamberger, large fry & drink. Took my tray & headed out side & as I was getting ready to sit down a gust of wind came up & my fries were now on the pavment I gased up & headed out the east entrance, Got on the Gray Mountain Truck Trail, even though I don't have a truck I risked it
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
They have had a little rain.
[IMG][/IMG]
Gased up & ready to roll out of Gray mountain, took off & the back end was all over the road. Flat rear.
[IMG][/IMG]
Went out behind the little store, gas station & could find nothing to put the bike on? Went inside & got a couple milk crates & back out side to dicover I had 2 front 21 in tubes! I put in the 21 & pumped & pumped with my little bicycle pump & guess what it worked & I rode 2 1/2 hours home safely, got in 9:30
End of story. 406 total miles.

The culprit
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

AZ TOM screwed with this post 08-14-2010 at 07:10 AM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 798
AZ TOM - Nice pics! You every need someone to ride with let me know, I'm down here in Carefree.

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
Thats a fantastic ride
What do you mean you didn't finish in a day?
How many miles?
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_ADV_RIDER
AZ TOM - Nice pics! You every need someone to ride with let me know, I'm down here in Carefree.
You are welcome anytime. Those flat tire changes are a lot easier with two people That nail was straight in, mid tire. Just one of those ADV moments!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolocopat
Thats a fantastic ride
What do you mean you didn't finish in a day?
How many miles?
My plan was east on the Res. to Grandfalls, down to 40, through the forest & dirt, back roads to Prescott. My total yesterday was 406 miles. I will be 70 in Oct. & probably need to recognize my limits, but riding with Rydnseek/Scotty keeps me optomistic
Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,422
Nice pics and a good looking "L", like the black on the numberplates. Sorry if I was a little testy in the flea market thread, gunshy about losing another deal.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,001
Excellent day trip!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
sled_rider
DESERT ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 113

Hey Tom, Was this picture taken at the same place Sotty and I were waiting for you and Tim? If it was I noticed a trail that heads up a hill toward the tracks on the main road before you reached this U turn on the way from Ash Fork. It was about 1/2-3/4 miles before the U turn. I saw the same trail marker on the RR road when it kind of turns away from the tracks. It has a marker like this but with different #s

It was before the hill on the main road before the U turn. Hope that helps.

sled_rider screwed with this post 08-14-2010 at 08:30 AM
sled_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled_rider

Hey Tom, Was this picture taken at the same place Sotty and I were waiting for you and Tim? If it was I noticed a trail that heads up a hill toward the tracks on the main road before you reached this U turn on the way from Ash Fork. It was about 1/2-3/4 miles before the U turn. I saw the same trail marker on the RR road when it kind of turns away from the tracks. It has a marker like this but with different #s

It was before the hill on the main road before the U turn. Hope that helps.
Yes trail # 6 seems to intersect everything for a ways.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,838
Awsome pics Dad how come u didn't tell me about it ? Please don't do it by urself again a lot can happens in z middle of nowhere, please inform us where u headed just in case or ask for some companie there's always one of us sitting down picking up his booggers they'll ride with u. Me & Levio planning on duplicatin' Ash Fork Ride soon. From my Experiences 3 riders at least should be for such a long ride. On my ride last Saturday to Grand Falls we had 3 flats (front tires) that i had to do it all by myself under z sun, we basically run out of front tube and z ride is still half way on.
How did u enter to Gray Mountain Truck trails ?
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Slabed it out 64 east to the trail. Believe it or not the tube I got home on was the one I gave Vito. When I got home from that ride I blew it up & it had a tiny pin hole so I put a drop of Super Glue on it & put it in my pack!! There was 3 of us on my ride, Me, Myself & I Old joke You had three flats on the same front tire??
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
If u just ridden a few feet down to this turn u see in ur pic. u can get good shoot for z Gray Mtn Canyon there. Looking south .

And looking towards z east .
Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM
You had three flats on the same front tire??
Me & Richard in z same damn trail same time within 50 yards distance. Indian route 6910 to Grand Falls is rocky and rocks were sticking up like sharp knives i didn't have enough air in my front tire so was Richard and we were hauling ass beating these rocky terrains like a Circus monkey. I changed his and mine twice because z first one brand new & has 2 holes in it front sitting in my front fender bag for long time, kind of dryed out and cracked .

U could enter Gray Mtn Truck Trails from Coconino rim Rd from 64 and cut throu z forest . It was part of Z Grand Canyon Loop 2010 (day2) that was planned on July .
Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went that way with Scotty, but was trying to make up some time so I could make it out to Grand Falls but alas, the dreaded nail in the {coffin} I mean tire changed my plans!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
1Gunther1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
What an awsome ride! Congratulations on getting out there! Great pictures as well.