ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #2851
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,851
Love that road.... Hate the Tar Snakes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #2852
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Day Trip

Took a little ride down into the Palouse area yesterday. I'm still in the learning phase with this machine.

I really wanted to go up here but I was good and didn't-next time though:

Urals are funny critters. You can't be in a hurry when you ride these things. I've only logged about 700kms so far but every time I get on this thing I just get a shit eating grin on my face.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #2853
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,873
When did you get that bike? Do you still have the Yamaha? You should have swung thru Rockford. I was working in the yard and probably would have seen you ride by.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #2854
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post
Took a little ride down into the Palouse area yesterday. I'm still in the learning phase with this machine.

I really wanted to go up here but I was good and didn't-next time though:

Urals are funny critters. You can't be in a hurry when you ride these things. I've only logged about 700kms so far but every time I get on this thing I just get a shit eating grin on my face.

Pete
Did you purchase at Stex Motorsports? If so, how was the buying experience? Details please!
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #2855
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
When did you get that bike? Do you still have the Yamaha? You should have swung thru Rockford. I was working in the yard and probably would have seen you ride by.
I got it about the end of February. The DR650 is gone(gonna have to get another thumper-maybe a 250?). The Super Tenere is a keeper. This is my go to bike(well, maybe not for single track-LOL!!!).

I've wanted a Ural for years and finally whined enough the boss gave me the green light.

Raceway did a pretty good job setting it up for me:

Pete
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #2856
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Did you purchase at Stex Motorsports? If so, how was the buying experience? Details please!
No, I dealt with Jim at Raceway. I did stop in at Stex. Great bunch of guys there.

Pete
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #2857
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post
No, I dealt with Jim at Raceway. I did stop in at Stex. Great bunch of guys there.

Pete
I'd like to sit down over a beer or three and chat hacks with you some day soon. I really like my '82 r100RT sidecar rig. But, would also like to try out a Ural sometime. that two wheel drive intrigues me. I like to drive all year round and that is something I cannot do with the BWM.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #2858
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
I'd like to sit down over a beer or three and chat hacks with you some day soon. I really like my '82 r100RT sidecar rig. But, would also like to try out a Ural sometime. that two wheel drive intrigues me. I like to drive all year round and that is something I cannot do with the BWM.
That's pretty much why I got the Ural. I get kind of grumpy during the winter months. When I ride, I find my winter blues go away!

Pete
Old 03-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #2859
DiamondLie
Banned

Dang that is nice, Pete. Even got the Russell Day Long Saddle mounted up! You are a lucky man having those machines in your stable!

I sat on a couple at Stex but found them very cramped quarters for my legs/feet. Of course, I am a Goliath of a guy with size 13 dogs.

You're right about the Stex fellas. Steve and his group are what good m/c shops used to be like. Didn't decide to do business with them though, eh? I'm not familiar with Raceway. Where are they located?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #2860
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
I was truly humbled on Saturday. I went riding out in the Kingston area with a new friend who has years of successful AA pro class track/enduro racing under his belt. He has been off a bike for a few years, and wanted to go try out his new '12 KTM 500 EXC. We weren't even 100 yards from the truck when he stopped. I pulled up next to him to see what was up, and he said he wanted to se if he could make it up that. "Make it up WHAT?" I looked around and couldn't see what he was possibly going to attempt. From a dead stop, he crossed a one-lane dirt road and defied gravity up a 30' vertical rock face. I looked at the other two that were with us, and we all looked like this: He did that after not riding for 3 years, on a bike he just bought.

The rest of the day was no less astonishing. We spent some time climbing "The Widowmaker" hill climb in Smelterville and hopping snow-covered logs up to about 3500' where the snow really got deep. The day ended with only one out of the four four of us not loading up a broken bike.

This is going to be an intriguing season.....
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #2861
DiamondLie
Banned

Ummm...you did take pics (or better yet video) dint ya?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #2862
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Huh, guess my phone was broken. Didn't see your call.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #2863
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Raceway. Where are they located?
Salem OR

http://www.racewayservicespaa.com/

Pete
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #2864
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Ummm...you did take pics (or better yet video) dint ya?
I think my helmet cam is dead. I couldn't get it working that morning, and I took it apart yesterday to find corrosion on one of the circuit boards like it got moisture in it. So if anybody wants to donate a new HD GoPro towards a good cause....
No pics. I have one crappy cell phone vid of a hill climb. If you look to the left in between Pinehurst and Smelterville, you will see this hill climb just across the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Huh, guess my phone was broken. Didn't see your call.
KR, I saw you already had plans!

I thought it was just going to be me and this other guy for a quick ride (to make sure we could keep up with each other), and he let me know on the way that two other guys sorta invited themselves along. I would have called if I had known. Trust me -- There will be more. He grew up in Kingston and knows trails that I never even dreamed of looking for out there. Most of the trails we were on were grown-in because no one had been on them (or thought to look for them) for years.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #2865
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Don't worry, I'm just joking. There will be plenty of time. I didn't even think it would be snow free enough over there to ride at all.

We spent most of our Sunday jaunt to 7-mile hopping logs. (Yes I was there sat and Sunday)

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote