ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #4201
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Internal transmission changes to reduce noise and boost low to midrange torque

Do you know what these changes are?
The one thing I dislike the most about mine is the close ratio gearbox. I always say that it's a five speed that you have to shift six times.
I am impressed that Suzuki can make reduced fuel capacity and reduced GVW sound like improvements.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #4202
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Internal transmission changes to reduce noise and boost low to midrange torque

Do you know what these changes are?
The one thing I dislike the most about mine is the close ratio gearbox. I always say that it's a five speed that you have to shift six times.
I am impressed that Suzuki can make reduced fuel capacity and reduced GVW sound like improvements.
Nope, I copy pasted that stuff off wikipedia. I can't seem to find anything about the transmission, other than it's still noisy. But coming from a Buell with a D&D exhaust... I can't even hear it. The bike itself is suppose to be about 11lbs lighter. As far as the 10% smaller tank, it's negated by a 10% boost in fuel economy. Most people really seem to like the redesign, not just for looks, but they say the bike feels better. At least all the reviews I've read.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #4203
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post

. I usually come, cash in hand, and buy used for way less. ?
I would stick with this plan. It never fails.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #4204
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Alright guys, I need some advice. While going up to Powersport to order a part for the DL650, they clued me in on a deal they're running on their 2013s. 0% interest for 60 months. That means, for less than $200 a month, I could have a 2013 DL650 Adventure, with a 6 year warranty, and they'll throw in a free givi skidplate and center stand.
That is $12,000 vs 6K, I would go with the used bike. As you say you are a poor kid and if you don't want to stay a poor kid don't go spending twice as much for basically the same thing.

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #4205
Stephenmarklay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Well, that makes me feel a little better.

Believe me when I say, I don't like riding in snow, swore I'd never do it. The bike won't be out until roads are clear.

I've checked intake and exhaust, they seem stock to me. I'm getting a stock windshield, and hoping it was just that stupid tall one and the wind that made mileage so bad.

Are you the guy who works out at Westside that I've heard about? One of the sales people talked about a crazy who worked there riding a t-dub in the snow. I love the little tw200s. Some of my favorite bikes. I'd probably mess around in the snow on one if I had one too.

As far as parts, if you happen to see them around, let me know. I also need the front bracket of the brake reservoir, the part that takes the bolts and holds the mirrors. It cracked in half, but oddly enough, my mirror doesn't have a scratch...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
I am that guy :)

I will gather up what I have on Sunday when I am off work.

Stephenmarklay screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 09:18 PM
Stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #4206
Stephenmarklay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I will say the subtle changes to the 2012+ make the bike a lot better (for me). I had a 2007 and never really liked it. The 2012 on the other had is a good bike.
The little details just agree with me better.
Stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #4207
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
I would stick with this plan. It never fails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
That is $12,000 vs 6K, I would go with the used bike. As you say you are a poor kid and if you don't want to stay a poor kid don't go spending twice as much for basically the same thing.
Aww, man. Why you guys gotta ruin my fun? Talking sense and stuff. As far as 12k vs 6k, it's more like 11k vs 8k. The used one I want is ~$6500 plus $400-500 worth of miles away, then taxes, licensing and that whole mess. Plus I'd have to get a loan with an actual percentage rate. So actually closer to 8.5k when said and done. The 11.4k is out the door, that's after all fees and licensing. Still a 3k difference, but it also has an extra 500-1k worth of farkles.

The biggest draw is 0% interest. I've been paying $200-300 a month for medical bills for 3+ years. I will have them completely paid in one/two months. So in my child brain I'm fine with $180 a month for something I actually want. Plus, I like gaining the credit history. By the time I finish paying this off, I'll want a home, and never having an auto-loan it's harder to get a mortgage.

I'm going to go to CDA Powersport tomorrow, and see if they'll beat Spokane. They're apparently not related even though they have the same name.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #4208
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,895
I like the folks at the Division St. Suzuki dealership a lot. That said, have you tried calling the Suzuki folks on Aurora St/Ave? in the Seattle area. They know how to wheel and deal.
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle

Airhead #14449

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #4209
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
I am that guy :)

I will gather up what I have on Sunday when I am off work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
I will say the subtle changes to the 2012+ make the bike a lot better (for me). I had a 2007 and never really liked it. The 2012 on the other had is a good bike.
The little details just agree with me better.
Glad you think it's better. I already like the pre-2012 bike, the fairing is the only thing that bothered me. But I keep hearing from people that the glee is just so much better. Having no option to test ride, I just have to take your guys word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
I like the folks at the Division St. Suzuki dealership a lot. That said, have you tried calling the Suzuki folks on Aurora St/Ave? in the Seattle area. They know how to wheel and deal.
I'm glad you like them, I've never heard from anyone whether or not they're good. I have first-hand experience with most the shops in town, and all but Triumph treat me with respect, and go out of their way. Alan at Division seemed really nice, and their parts guy gave me a good discount on parts for the 2005.

As far as Seattle, I haven't yet tried them. Their website doesn't show current inventory, so I've got no idea if they have any 2013s left. Spokane only has 2, and CDA has 1.

Seeing as I don't have cash up front, and am wanting to take advantage of Suzuki financing at 0%, do I have any room to bargain? I mean, I can throw down a decent down payment, but I'd rather have around $200 a month financing, and just shorten the term with the extra money. Am I mistaken in thinking they won't deal?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #4210
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
Cash is king, my friend. It sounds silly, but you should only take a loan when you don't have to. Especially for toys. Just my $.02, not trying to be a buzzkill.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #4211
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Aww, man. Why you guys gotta ruin my fun? Talking sense and stuff. As far as 12k vs 6k, it's more like 11k vs 8k. The used one I want is ~$6500 plus $400-500 worth of miles away, then taxes, licensing and that whole mess. Plus I'd have to get a loan with an actual percentage rate. So actually closer to 8.5k when said and done. The 11.4k is out the door, that's after all fees and licensing. Still a 3k difference, but it also has an extra 500-1k worth of farkles.

The biggest draw is 0% interest. I've been paying $200-300 a month for medical bills for 3+ years. I will have them completely paid in one/two months. So in my child brain I'm fine with $180 a month for something I actually want. Plus, I like gaining the credit history. By the time I finish paying this off, I'll want a home, and never having an auto-loan it's harder to get a mortgage.

I'm going to go to CDA Powersport tomorrow, and see if they'll beat Spokane. They're apparently not related even though they have the same name.
Are you sure you can qualify for the 0% financing? Most young folks can't without a co signer.
My favorite NW Suzuki dealer is Experience in Moses Lake.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #4212
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
2012 was a complete redesign.
Sounds like the 12+ is the way to go if you want to spend the $$

I just looked at some DL650s for sale on ADV. Looks like you can get older models in the $4k -$5k range, like this one. If I was in your shoes, I'd get something like that and ride it for another 10 years. Then, when I've got the funds in my hand, I'd get the current bike of my dreams

Quote:
Aww, man. Why you guys gotta ruin my fun? Talking sense and stuff.
Didn't you asked for it

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #4213
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,641
Thumb Do it..

I'll help heal the Buzzkill for ya...

Do it!

Your young and need the "credebt" built up anyhow! Debt sucks, but in our youths we go through this... Being older and having changed some of our views is one thing. Buuuut we can't always apply our choices/perceptions to everyone.

The ~0%~ interest is what makes this sooo good! EVERY PENNY out of your pocket goes toward the bike... sooo don't even bother trying to pay it down sooner, let the payment be small and easy and let it take 5yrs. This way you can afford gas and food, while your riding around on a BRAND NEW bike!
A very wise man once told me, "I've learned how to use other peoples money, whenever I can" and with 0% interest that's just what you'll be doing.

We only go around the marble once "that we can remember" so since it's within your means go for it!^) You'll just be swapping out the old med bills payment for new "Therapy Bills", and happy is priceless.

Peace and enjoy,
Jim

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 07:19 AM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #4214
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I'll help heal the Buzzkill for ya...

Do it!

Your young and need the "credebt" built up anyhow! Debt sucks, but in our youths we go through this... Being older and having changed some of our views is one thing. Buuuut we can't always apply our choices/perceptions to everyone.

The ~0%~ interest is what makes this sooo good! EVERY PENNY out of your pocket goes toward the bike... sooo don't even bother trying to pay it down sooner, let the payment be small and easy and let it take 5yrs. This way you can afford gas and food, while your riding around on a BRAND NEW bike!
A very wise man once told me, "I've learned how to use other peoples money, whenever I can" and with 0% interest that's just what you'll be doing.

We only go around the marble once "that we can remember" so since it's within your means go for it!^) You'll just be swapping out the old med bills payment for new "Therapy Bills", and happy is priceless.

Peace and enjoy,
Jim

+1

Great advice Jim. Be sure to add in the cost of your insurance to your monthly bills and you should be alright. Drive safe, have fun!
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle

Airhead #14449

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #4215
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
There you have it. Now you have to make your own decision

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote