ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #4366
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,812
How much do you want to spend? Here's a 96 in St Regis MT. for 2K.
http://missoula.craigslist.org/mcy/4367447744.html

I will be riding thru there tomorrow and could stop and take a look at it for you . Let me know.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #4367
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
How much do you want to spend? Here's a 96 in St Regis MT. for 2K.
http://missoula.craigslist.org/mcy/4367447744.html

I will be riding thru there tomorrow and could stop and take a look at it for you . Let me know.
I've already talked to the guy, lowest he'll go is $1800. Highest I can go is about $1600, else I'd have already jumped at that one. Looks like it's in great shape. Maybe a couple more plasma donation trips and I can get it. But it'll take me 2 weeks to gain the money or just wait for payday... and knowing my luck it'll be gone.

Another question, we know anyone in/around Phoenix? http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/4314807928.html Spotted that, and I'd much rather pay close to $2000 for a 2005 than a 1996. The problem is, a fly and ride on a TW is not an easy ordeal. It'll take me a month!

EmptiMind screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 02:40 PM
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #4368
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlodHopper View Post
Talk about a bluebird sky! Spring is here.
Welcome to ADV be sure to come out and meet everyone when you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
I've already talked to the guy, lowest he'll go is $1800. Highest I can go is about $1600, else I'd have already jumped at that one. Looks like it's in great shape. Maybe a couple more plasma donation trips and I can get it. But it'll take me 2 weeks to gain the money or just wait for payday... and knowing my luck it'll be gone.
I hate to burst your bubble but good luck on finding that killer deal this time of year. If you can't pay the price someone else is right around the corner that can and will. Get the money together and keep looking you never know that ship might just come in.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #4369
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I hate to burst your bubble but good luck on finding that killer deal this time of year. If you can't pay the price someone else is right around the corner that can and will. Get the money together and keep looking you never know that ship might just come in.
It's no so much I can't pay the price, it's that I'm not willing. I guess. For the same price as that 1996 guy is asking, I can find 2000+ bikes. Like that one in Arizona. Problem is, it's in Arizona. They're all over the country for decent prices, but I can't seem to find anyone who doesn't have their heads stuck in the clouds in the PNW. KBB on the '96 is $1300. Nada is like $600... I realize these values aren't representative of the local market, but it's hard to pay over 3 times the value a bank would finance for.

Heck, those '87s were basically rusted husks that once were motorcycles. And those people still expected 1000-1500 for them. Am I the one in the wrong here? Do I just need to swallow it and overpay?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #4370
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
...Am I the one in the wrong here? Do I just need to swallow it and overpay?
I look at bikes (and other things I am into....) like fine art and antiques: I only pay what they are worth to ME; wether it is way under or way over market value is irrelevant, unless I plan to resell it.

I have "overpaid" for tools and such at auctions and have heard the laughs in the background after "sold" was yelled. That doesn't bother me because for what they were worth to me, I underpaid. Those tools went to a good home and are restored and still in service today.

I agree the people around here are totally on crack when it comes to prices of motorsports. I have almost totally given up on my jeeping hobby because I simply can't afford it. People can sit on their junk and watch it rot before I pay good money for some of it!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #4371
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
I look at bikes (and other things I am into....) like fine art and antiques: I only pay what they are worth to ME; wether it is way under or way over market value is irrelevant, unless I plan to resell it.

I have "overpaid" for tools and such at auctions and have heard the laughs in the background after "sold" was yelled. That doesn't bother me because for what they were worth to me, I underpaid. Those tools went to a good home and are restored and still in service today.

I agree the people around here are totally on crack when it comes to prices of motorsports. I have almost totally given up on my jeeping hobby because I simply can't afford it. People can sit on their junk and watch it rot before I pay good money for some of it!
You and I have very similar thought patterns. I'm fine with throwing money at something I believe to be worth it. Heck, I'd be fine with throwing a wad of money at an older bike, as long as it has maintenance records, and isn't a rusted pile of poop. But just because these things are labeled timeless classics, and bulletproof, doesn't mean you can charge what you paid for the machines 12 years ago.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #4372
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Quote:
Wow, me to a tee.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #4373
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,064
This isn't bike related, but about 20 years ago, my dad and I were at an estate auction in PA to check out an old jeep. It was listed as simply "old farm jeep". In reality, it was a mint condition '46 CJ2A with 32k miles, complete with farm implements and a rear PTO, and a rare factory aluminum hard top. A true "barn find". The other guys that were there to check it out were crawling under it and shaking their heads. After outbidding them and winning the auction at around $2000(!!!), I heard one of them say, "Wait till they crawl under it and see it needs a new exhaust."
Old 03-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #4374
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
This isn't bike related, but about 20 years ago, my dad and I were at an estate auction in PA to check out an old jeep. It was listed as simply "old farm jeep". In reality, it was a mint condition '46 CJ2A with 32k miles, complete with farm implements and a rear PTO, and a rare factory aluminum hard top. A true "barn find". The other guys that were there to check it out were crawling under it and shaking their heads. After outbidding them and winning the auction at around $2000(!!!), I heard one of them say, "Wait till they crawl under it and see it needs a new exhaust."
hahahahah exactly.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #4375
walla walla Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
It's no so much I can't pay the price, it's that I'm not willing. I guess. For the same price as that 1996 guy is asking, I can find 2000+ bikes. Like that one in Arizona. Problem is, it's in Arizona. They're all over the country for decent prices, but I can't seem to find anyone who doesn't have their heads stuck in the clouds in the PNW. KBB on the '96 is $1300. Nada is like $600... I realize these values aren't representative of the local market, but it's hard to pay over 3 times the value a bank would finance for.

Heck, those '87s were basically rusted husks that once were motorcycles. And those people still expected 1000-1500 for them. Am I the one in the wrong here? Do I just need to swallow it and overpay?
Not sure if you want to drive this far. But this one looks pretty clean and almost down to your price. http://wyoming.craigslist.org/mcy/4373518282.html

Cherish every moment.
walla walla Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #4376
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by walla walla Bob View Post
Not sure if you want to drive this far. But this one looks pretty clean and almost down to your price. http://wyoming.craigslist.org/mcy/4373518282.html
That's a good find! Think I've got a line on a Super Sherpa in Vegas. We'll see what tomorrow holds.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #4377
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
That's a good find! Think I've got a line on a Super Sherpa in Vegas. We'll see what tomorrow holds.
I have to ask, if you are willing to travel wherever and get it back, wouldn't it be cheaper, and easier, to just spend a few more bucks locally?

Oh yeah, old school but that price! http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/4378316623.html

smithe screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 08:12 PM
smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #4378
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post
I have to ask, if you are willing to travel wherever and get it back, wouldn't it be cheaper, and easier, to just spend a few more bucks locally?

Oh yeah, old school but that price! http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/4378316623.html
May be easier, but not cheaper. I've got help in Vegas, not only checking out the bike but helping with shipping. Plus, I'm not sure if you've seen prices down there, but they're waaay cheaper than up here. I see small dual sports for literally half the price that people are asking up here.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #4379
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
May be easier, but not cheaper. I've got help in Vegas, not only checking out the bike but helping with shipping. Plus, I'm not sure if you've seen prices down there, but they're waaay cheaper than up here. I see small dual sports for literally half the price that people are asking up here.
Good enough! It was a curiosity thing for me, glad you have the support to make it worth your while!
smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #4380
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Took a ride over to my son's place in Alberton Mt over the weekend. I met up with him and his wife, Claire, at the Pizza Factory in Wallace. Jake has a FZ1 Yamaha, and Claire has a 250 Ninja.
Temp in Wallace was 38 degrees

After lunch, we rode to the top of Lookout and stopped to take a picture. Right after I Took this, the sky opened up and started snowing. Snowed hard for a couple minutes, then slowed down a little bit.

Jakes GoPro video when we took off.

Spent the night with them, then rode back home on Sunday. Weather was a little nicer at Lookout pass.

About 350 miles total. Wasn't my first ride of the year, but was definitely my coldest