ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #4786
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhamg View Post
Here is the gpx file for the ride from Spokane Valley to Plummer and beyond. It hasn't been edited, so you'll see some back tracking - but all short distances. Section on Dennis Mountain, has a 200-300 yd stretch where the road stops and you need to bushwack a bit. Puts the A in adventure. If you like geocaching, reach out to us and maybe we can do some caching together. Enjoy.
I need to learn GPS stuff!
smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #4787
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
Not sure about Saturday yet. I was thinking about taking the WR for a spin somewhere but I need to get the brake controller wired up on the 4Runner too. I have done little else but wrench on the KLR for the last 6 weekends so I'm hoping for a ride on something.
Well it's looking like my Saturday is getting filled up with chores including taking the Beemer to Westside for some fuel system recall work.

Going up in flames due to another poorly designed part failure would end a ride even faster than the brake system failure this thing had last fall.

As far as Sunday goes, if the plan is to stick primarily to the pavement I may take the Connie as the KLR has a fairly aggressive knobby on the front that won't last long if I do too much pavement with it.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #4788
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post
I need to learn GPS stuff!
Do you have a GPS yet?

I think we will be having a GPS/routing presentation at the Wallowa Valley Adventure Jamboree. I need to touch bases with our GPS guru about this. He did one a couple years ago for us and the presentation was very helpful. He indicated he might do one for us at camp and he has declared his IN for the Jamboree so if we talk real nice.

Also at the Jamboree we will have a "poker run" with the cards for points hidden out at locations so we don't have to man the checkpoints. GPS Coordinates will be provided for finding the checkpoints. Sort of like geocaching.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #4789
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I do not have one that is any good, it's an ancient etrex. I have been looking at some different ones but don't know that I want to spend a ton, or would use it a lot but, I know they can come in handy.

A presentation of some sort would be pretty neat and I would attend for sure.

Never geocached but I have friends that do.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #4790
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
I've been having trouble spending money on a GPS because my phone has an internal GPS antenna. With free map apps, I can stream music, listen to directions, and plan my own routes. Just can't figure out how to justify a zumo. I want one, but why?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #4791
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post
I do not have one that is any good, it's an ancient etrex. I have been looking at some different ones but don't know that I want to spend a ton, or would use it a lot but, I know they can come in handy.

A presentation of some sort would be pretty neat and I would attend for sure.

Never geocached but I have friends that do.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Some people like them and others don't care one way or the other.

An ancient e-trex is what I use for narrowing in on caches, it works great for that. At one time I used it for navigating but found for me it wasn't up to the task. I use another ancient GPS for navigating a Street Pilot 2610. I'm amazed it still works.

I have my 2610 set up with the speaker and like that it tells me where to turn. I have a lot of fun with it but I play with it a lot. Sometime is I'm headed somewhere I will ask it to take me the shortest route to where ever and I'm often surprised at the new roads it takes me down as well as the cool dead ends it shows me.

I've been wanting a new GPS and decided the Montana is the next one for me but for now my finances don't equal my wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
I've been having trouble spending money on a GPS because my phone has an internal GPS antenna. With free map apps, I can stream music, listen to directions, and plan my own routes. Just can't figure out how to justify a zumo. I want one, but why?

If your phone does everything you want it to do then your set.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:47 AM   #4792
rdhamg
DoingIt2Up

Oddometer: 12
My gal and went for a little jaunt last night and came upon an accident south on Sands Rd. A guy launched his XR off the road over a steep bank through the bushes and into a field, carnage at impact point in field. I looked at his track at entry to corner and launch point not a lot of braking happend. He was wearing a helmet. Not sure of all injuries broke collar bone for sure. Emergency response was great 4 fire rigs 1 aid car 2 sheriff cars.Everyone ride safe out there!

rdhamg screwed with this post 05-09-2014 at 05:48 PM
rdhamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #4793
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I've been wanting a new GPS and decided the Montana is the next one for me but for now my finances don't equal my wants.

They are making progress on my next GPS, it is a crowdfunded 7" android tablet that is waterproof. Seems like it would be perfect for the bike since the biggest problem I have with my current GPS is the size of the screen. I have a 7" tablet for my car and it works great, just isn't waterproof. You can also check your email and surf the web, which you can't do on a Garmin

http://www.meetearl.com/updates/

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #4794
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
They are making progress on my next GPS, it is a crowdfunded 7" android tablet that is waterproof. Seems like it would be perfect for the bike since the biggest problem I have with my current GPS is the size of the screen. I have a 7" tablet for my car and it works great, just isn't waterproof. You can also check your email and surf the web, which you can't do on a Garmin

Seems like that would be rather large and clunky on a bike.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #4795
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,902
Allan, big screens are especially nice for old eyes. The major problem with them (other than size) is whether or not the screen is visible in direct sunlight. I haven't seen too many gps's that work well in direct sunlight..

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post

"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #4796
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
I'm going through the same issues with regard to GPS. I have a Garmin Oregon; it's fine if you routed your path on a computer and then downloaded to the GPS. But it really is too small t do route planning on it. I can't justify the horribly inflated price for a Zumo, so am going to go get dragged into the current decade kicking and screaming. Planning on picking up a Galaxy S5 at Costco next week and signing my life away to Verizon. Screen is much higher quality than any GPS oen I've seen, it's supposed to be waterprooof, and with the contract it's $100. An S4 at Costco is $.01 right now...

Need to check out apps. I have CoPilot and Backcountry Navigator on my tablet, they seen to cover both roads and off road pretty well. None of the maps are truely accurate when it comes to forest service roads. I need to research cases and mounts. I think the "finger" Ram mount would be adequate on road, but would have trouble trusting it in the dirt. Looks like Ram has a dedicated mount and box for the S4, can't help but think an S5 one is coming.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 05-09-2014 at 07:45 AM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #4797
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,770
Smartphone Navigation

You may want to make sure your smartphone navigation app has the features you like for building and navigating routes. I use my iPhone all the time for navigation around town. I even turn on the voice guidance You will want to figuring out a way to supply power to your smartphone. Running the GPS circuitry and suppling power to those beautiful screens eats batteries. Power connectors like those mini/micro USB ports will not stand up to moto travel - yup, I found out the hard way

I don't use a smartphone for trips as I've not found the app that supports all the features I use while traveling. It's one thing to display a route around town and another to plan/build routes for a trip. Then you have that whole on-road/off-road routing thing you need to deal with. But, if you just use a smartphone to find your way home or get to a hotel after getting totally lost it may work.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #4798
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
You may want to make sure your smartphone navigation app has the features you like for building and navigating routes. I use my iPhone all the time for navigation around town. I even turn on the voice guidance You will want to figuring out a way to supply power to your smartphone. Running the GPS circuitry and suppling power to those beautiful screens eats batteries. Power connectors like those mini/micro USB ports will not stand up to moto travel - yup, I found out the hard way

I don't use a smartphone for trips as I've not found the app that supports all the features I use while traveling. It's one thing to display a route around town and another to plan/build routes for a trip. Then you have that whole on-road/off-road routing thing you need to deal with. But, if you just use a smartphone to find your way home or get to a hotel after getting totally lost it may work.
Just subscribed, as I am in Spokane and its time to upgrade the GPS to one that will accept routes built by others. Must be able to navigate in the dirt or it's useless to me. Big screen is a plus...
professorkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #4799
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
Luckily there's a hundred different GPS apps on android now. I use copilot for road navigation and it's great. Haven't done much off-road so can't comment on that.

As far as waterproofing, a plastic zip lock does fine. You can get fancier all you want, but you get a wireless charger, take it apart, embed it in a sturdy mount, the charger can reach through a zip lock no problem. Gotta do some do it yourself until a motorcycle manufacture figures out a wireless charging mount that's waterproof would be the best idea ever.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #4800
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorkx View Post
Just subscribed, as I am in Spokane and its time to upgrade the GPS to one that will accept routes built by others. Must be able to navigate in the dirt or it's useless to me. Big screen is a plus...
Check out the Garmin Montana. It's everything you need in a GPS.
If your needs dictate that you have a reliable GPS that can be used for thousands of miles on a motorcycle, both on-road and off-road, then the Montana fits the bill.

There are others out there and if you want to play around with them they may work for you. I'd rather go riding

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote