ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #5101
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleThumper View Post
I heard Ladybug crashed today ......... Collar bone and Finger .....

Anyone talk to her yet?

She just posted about it in the Wallowa Rally thread :-(

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #5102
Road2Adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIT View Post
Empti: yep, I know where the spot is. I have only been up Sheep creek once on a quad.

Road: is that your KLR at Super1? the only bike I have at the moment is a '11 Stryker. I would like to get a dualsport also next year.
No that is Rich's 08, he works there(Pharmacy).

My bike "05" is parked at the other end of town, near the south round about(Do it Center).

If you see me out and about..... Say Hi.

Ride Safe. change the gas often. jerry
Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #5103
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Gotta watch those sudden gusts of gravity, Ladybug. They'll pull ya down right when you least expect 'em...

Heal fast. Busted bones suck, but they're better than trashed ligaments/tendons.

I just got back from a little loop in the CDA Nat'l Forest with my co-worker. What a day. first was on the way up, we encountered a mixed group of ATV'ers and motos going the other way. Three passed me, and I as I looked ahead, I saw a large dust cloud filled with out-of-control machine. Sure enough, an ATV'er had run out of road and skill at about the same time, with predictable results. Thankfully, his morbidly obese buddy had a winch, even if there was only two helmets between the 7 guys.

We motored on. Stopped at a warming hut in a meadow. Then, we motored on.

On our way back into CDA, we were zipping along E Yellowstone Trail and came upon a young couple, with her sitting in the road, he waved us down. Turns out his F150 was 100 feet or so down the side of the hill. Apparently she was slightly injured, bumps and minor cuts kinda injuries. Way more shaken up. Turns out the kid's cell phone fell off his lap. he grabbed for it and put his wheels in the ditch. Next thing he knew, he was off the side.

How can these people be, at the same time, so damn dumb and so damn lucky? Jeebus.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #5104
Road2Adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
[QUOTE=EmptiMind;24248794]the only other adventure style motorcycle we saw was actually a red dual sport in Colville. While we were parked in the Pizza Hut parking lot, they went by, only saw out of the corner of my eye, but could've been a KLR, was definitely in the 650 size range.<<

That could have been me. Looking at your time stamp for your Pizza Hut posting and my time stamp....... looks about right. I did just come from Super One. Sorry for my tunnel vision.

The sheep creek area is a fun place to camp and spend a weekend. It's a fun ride from Sheep creek west to Pierre Lake, all smooth two track. Could make a day of it crossing 395 to Little Bolder...... you come out just south of Danville. All smooth two track, all big bike friendly. Or you could start at Priest Lake and end up in Danville 10-12 hours later.:-) Mostly dirt with only a few miles of paved back road.

Ride Safe. Change the gas often. jerry

Road2Adv screwed with this post 05-26-2014 at 09:16 PM
Road2Adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #5105
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Sorry to hear about your accident Ladybug.
I hated every inch of Zumwalt Road last year.
My bike was way overloaded and it turns out my steering stem bearings were loose/worn out too. No fun at all in that evil Oregon gravel.
Hope you heal up quickly.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #5106
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
How can these people be, at the same time, so damn dumb and so damn lucky? Jeebus.
Another example: my wife and I were outside doing some work when we heard a vehicle coming slowly up the road below our house, then gunning it and sliding it sideways where the road turns to dirt. After a few seconds of fishtails and hard throttle, we heard a loud bang, then nothing. I hopped on my bike and got down there just in time to see two freaked-out kids trying to climb up the small cliff that they had just rolled their Toyota pickup down. Again, zero injuries.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #5107
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
My wife is getting back into the sport! She had a KLR for a year or so and didn't really enjoy dirt riding that much, plus it was tall for her. We're picking up an '03 Shadow in a day or two, need to make a stop at the bank tomorrow. I personally don't find cruisers very appealing, but she can touch the ground easily with it. I took it for a ride...didn't realize just how little HP that cruisers make-750 is far slower than my 650 Strom. Still, plenty for her, we don't need a rocket. Glad to see her getting one.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #5108
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Gotta watch those sudden gusts of gravity, Ladybug. They'll pull ya down right when you least expect 'em...

Heal fast. Busted bones suck, but they're better than trashed ligaments/tendons.

I just got back from a little loop in the CDA Nat'l Forest with my co-worker. What a day. first was on the way up, we encountered a mixed group of ATV'ers and motos going the other way. Three passed me, and I as I looked ahead, I saw a large dust cloud filled with out-of-control machine. Sure enough, an ATV'er had run out of road and skill at about the same time, with predictable results. Thankfully, his morbidly obese buddy had a winch, even if there was only two helmets between the 7 guys.

We motored on. Stopped at a warming hut in a meadow. Then, we motored on.

On our way back into CDA, we were zipping along E Yellowstone Trail and came upon a young couple, with her sitting in the road, he waved us down. Turns out his F150 was 100 feet or so down the side of the hill. Apparently she was slightly injured, bumps and minor cuts kinda injuries. Way more shaken up. Turns out the kid's cell phone fell off his lap. he grabbed for it and put his wheels in the ditch. Next thing he knew, he was off the side.

Those guys on Yellowstone Trail were really lucky. That's not a forgiving road!
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #5109
FLIT
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Road--yep I know the one. My son and his family live that way so I'm by there a few times a week.
FLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #5110
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Spokane ADV Practice this week @ 7 Mile ORV

Spokane ADV Practice this week @ 7 Mile ORV

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #5111
BrewMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Who do y'all prefer for a local shop? I've dealt with Westside, Cycle Gear, Powersports, and a couple others over the years... never fell in love with any of them. Are there any shops, or mechanics, or salespeople that you Spokane gentlemen seem to really dig?

Also, this is cool! I'm glad I found a thread dedicated to my neighbors who ride! *SUBSCRIBED!*
BrewMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #5112
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
EmptiMind, thanks for the directions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJRiggs View Post
Who do y'all prefer for a local shop? I've dealt with Westside, Cycle Gear, Powersports, and a couple others over the years... never fell in love with any of them. Are there any shops, or mechanics, or salespeople that you Spokane gentlemen seem to really dig?

Also, this is cool! I'm glad I found a thread dedicated to my neighbors who ride! *SUBSCRIBED!*
What kind of bike(s) or stuff are you looking for?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #5113
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Looks like a lot of folks were riding over the weekend, so thought I would add mine to the mix. Wife and I took a little 3 day, 1000 mile trip down into the middle of Idaho, across through Hells Canyon into Oregon and then back home via highway 3, so got to ride rattlesnake canyon on the Triumph (a ton more exciting than the Harley Ultra). We stay on the smallest roads we could find, and even took the OLD white bird highway down to the bottom. Wife wasn't too excited when we dropped off the edge of the road to ride through the scrub, but we didn't die so I wasn't in trouble for long. hundreds of pictures to upload and review for a decent ride report, but this one is good for a start. Yes, there is a motorcycle under there somewhere...

Camped one night and hotel one night. Wife was warm and comfortable in the tent, so I see much more back country camping in my future.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #5114
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post

Difficult to find local shops with dual sport gear. I have found I have to order most things, wait, pay shipping AND tax, then almost every shop is closed on Monday, which makes no sense to me for larger shops with more than just a couple employees. So, I have moved to online ordering for most things. RevZilla is a good source as well as others mentioned already.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #5115
BrewMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post

I ride a XChallenge (a lot) and an XS650 (project bike).
Gear-wise, I generally buy used or closeout. Just looking for a decent mechanic for bigger jobs I won't do. Also, I buy some parts here and there for my projects. It'd be cool if there were someone local who stocks decent dual sport tires, chains, sprockets, etc.. the stuff that lasts me less than a season. I don't see much dual sport support at the dealers around here. Heck, the dude at Westside said my XChallenge was the first he'd ever seen
BrewMoto is offline   Reply With Quote