ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #5296
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopeace View Post
Is access to Shefoot Big-Bike friendly? Can I get my Tiger 1050 up there or is it more a dirt bike only thing?
Twopeace, no problem getting your Tiger 1050 up to Sheefoot once the snow melts. I ride my wife on a Tiger 800XC without any problems. Some spots have ruts, but there is plenty of room on each side to pass safely. In addition, it's also pretty easy to find off Moon Pass road, just pay attention to blind corners on the short section where the shuttle buses run, as some drivers are flat nuts. I stay in my lane and ride slow...1st gear...around the couple of blind corners.

If you come in from Wallace, you can take Slate Creek south off of Moon pass just after the road turns to dirt. We rode this up and back last weekend (16 miles from end to end) and they have widened the road since last year. Was more of a four wheeler trail, now wide enough for a truck, but we didn't have any issue getting around trucks coming the other way. The first couple of miles has some rock, but wasn't really a problem going down and back up, just look ahead and you will see the lines around the couple of really rocky sections. We like riding the more technical lines, so we went through/over each rocky section, so totally passable on an your Tiger.

Once you get to the St. Joe river, turn east towards Avery. Just after Avery, one route is to go north on Moon Pass road. There are 7 one lane tunnels that are a little scary the first time, but since you are on a bike, you can pull to the side in the tunnels if you happen to meet an oncoming vehicle. You can miss all of the tunnels by crossing the bridge after Avery and taking the four wheeler trail on the east side of the river. The trail will turn into an old road and will go under a tall bridge after the campground. Stay on the old road and you will be on the west side of the river. This road circles back to Moon Pass road, which you will cross. This is the bus section for a couple of miles, so not the time to get in a hurry. At the fork, buses go left, but stay to the right and you are about 15 miles from Sheefoot.

This is a great day ride if you go up the freeway to Wallace (you can make good time on the freeway so cover a lot of miles quickly) then to Slate Creek and on to Sheefoot. Well worth the time spent and lot of scenery. On Monday, we came accross Moose on 3 occasions, two Elk, several deer (one with a fawn only a few days old) and a bear. Don't stop for the Moose or Bear, as both are too dangerous to risk a photo op, but cool to see.

If you want to make it a loop, go back out to Avery and follow the St Joe river to St. Maries, then to Plummer and home. If you need more dirt action, Benewah Creek road about 10 miles outside of St. Maries is an easy road and will take you to Highway 95. You can take Desmet road just south of Tensed towards McCrowsky OHV access and it will take you to Farmington road. Turn north and you will hit Highway 27.

I built a couple of quick GPS routes and have attached the route to Sheefoot (couldn't attach the second file). It's about 150 miles to Sheefoot, and 162 miles home through Tensed, so a full day of riding, but the freeway at the beginning burns a lot of those miles quickly so you can get to the dirt for the fun.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Sheefoot day ride.gpx (1.21 MB, 24 views)

forgetthecouch.com for my ride reports
professorkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #5297
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
You mention Avery-Clarkia-did you do any exploring around Marble Creek? It's interesting, there is quite a bit of logging history, a neat old tunnel just off the main road and some side trips-Line Creek Camp is a nice hike.
Not familiar with Marble Creek, but please give me GPS coordinates or landmark that I can find on a map and I will build a route to/from Marble Creek for a day of exploration. I can build routes fast and reroute on the fly during a trip, so this is my preferred method of exploration.

As for hiking, knees don't allow for much hiking, so do all or our travel on the Tiger...

Edit: I think I found Marble Creek. Check out the GPS route to be sure...
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Marble Creek by Clarkia.gpx (579.1 KB, 19 views)

professorkx screwed with this post 06-25-2014 at 09:18 AM
Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #5298
Twopeace
Hugging Helps

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorkx View Post
Twopeace, no problem getting your Tiger 1050 up to Sheefoot once the snow melts. I ride my wife on a Tiger 800XC without any problems. Some spots have ruts, but there is plenty of room on each side to pass safely. In addition, it's also pretty easy to find off Moon Pass road, just pay attention to blind corners on the short section where the shuttle buses run, as some drivers are flat nuts. I stay in my lane and ride slow...1st gear...around the couple of blind corners.

If you come in from Wallace, you can take Slate Creek south off of Moon pass just after the road turns to dirt. We rode this up and back last weekend (16 miles from end to end) and they have widened the road since last year. Was more of a four wheeler trail, now wide enough for a truck, but we didn't have any issue getting around trucks coming the other way. The first couple of miles has some rock, but wasn't really a problem going down and back up, just look ahead and you will see the lines around the couple of really rocky sections. We like riding the more technical lines, so we went through/over each rocky section, so totally passable on an your Tiger.

Once you get to the St. Joe river, turn east towards Avery. Just after Avery, one route is to go north on Moon Pass road. There are 7 one lane tunnels that are a little scary the first time, but since you are on a bike, you can pull to the side in the tunnels if you happen to meet an oncoming vehicle. You can miss all of the tunnels by crossing the bridge after Avery and taking the four wheeler trail on the east side of the river. The trail will turn into an old road and will go under a tall bridge after the campground. Stay on the old road and you will be on the west side of the river. This road circles back to Moon Pass road, which you will cross. This is the bus section for a couple of miles, so not the time to get in a hurry. At the fork, buses go left, but stay to the right and you are about 15 miles from Sheefoot.

This is a great day ride if you go up the freeway to Wallace (you can make good time on the freeway so cover a lot of miles quickly) then to Slate Creek and on to Sheefoot. Well worth the time spent and lot of scenery. On Monday, we came accross Moose on 3 occasions, two Elk, several deer (one with a fawn only a few days old) and a bear. Don't stop for the Moose or Bear, as both are too dangerous to risk a photo op, but cool to see.

If you want to make it a loop, go back out to Avery and follow the St Joe river to St. Maries, then to Plummer and home. If you need more dirt action, Benewah Creek road about 10 miles outside of St. Maries is an easy road and will take you to Highway 95. You can take Desmet road just south of Tensed towards McCrowsky OHV access and it will take you to Farmington road. Turn north and you will hit Highway 27.

I built a couple of quick GPS routes and have attached the route to Sheefoot (couldn't attach the second file). It's about 150 miles to Sheefoot, and 162 miles home through Tensed, so a full day of riding, but the freeway at the beginning burns a lot of those miles quickly so you can get to the dirt for the fun.
Thank you, Professor, for the well-informed input. Hope to check this out sometime. I have been over Moon Pass before but it has been years.

Twopeace screwed with this post 06-25-2014 at 11:06 AM
Twopeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #5299
chinook1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Touratech Rally tomorrow (Thursday) - Wheels up @ 10am from Westside

A couple of us middle-aged adventure newbies will be departing from Westside Motorsports around 10am tomorrow morning for the Rally. We'll probably take Hwy 28 across the basin, then find some easy gravel down to the Wenatchee. We'll be on a '13 DL650 (Jeremy) and an R1150GS (Dave). Welcome to join if you wish...

Jeremy

2013 DL650A "You Break It, You Buy It"- Weld86 skidplate, SVRacing forkbrace
1982 CB750K
chinook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #5300
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Not familiar with Marble Creek, but please give me GPS coordinates or landmark that I can find on a map and I will build a route to/from Marble Creek for a day of exploration. I can build routes fast and reroute on the fly during a trip, so this is my preferred method of exploration.

As for hiking, knees don't allow for much hiking, so do all or our travel on the Tiger...

Edit: I think I found Marble Creek. Check out the GPS route to be sure...
I'll take a look at it tonight. Marble Creek is right around the 35 mile mark up the river road IIRC, or about 15 miles below Avery. There is an interperative center with some logging history right where you turn off the St. Joe road, and the remnants of some splas dams heading up Marble Creek road.

As to Slate Creek-the northernmost few miles, from Slate Creek Saddle north to Moon Pass is a bit sporty, as you said, there are a few exposed rocks. No issue on my WR250R, but given my lack of experience I think they would cause ME to pucker a bit with my V-Strom. I'm sure you, or any more experienced rider, wouldn't have an issue with a big bike. An alternative to get to Slate Creek Saddle is to run up Moon Pass Road right to the pass (about the half way point). Take the road to the right, it takes you right to the saddle and is a nice, smooth road, but doesn't see much traffic. Turn left to get down to the Joe. I agree with you, from there south, easy on any bike, as is the "ATV trail" loop going north from Avery.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #5301
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
As to Slate Creek-the northernmost few miles, from Slate Creek Saddle north to Moon Pass is a bit sporty, as you said, there are a few exposed rocks. No issue on my WR250R, but given my lack of experience I think they would cause ME to pucker a bit with my V-Strom. I'm sure you, or any more experienced rider, wouldn't have an issue with a big bike. An alternative to get to Slate Creek Saddle is to run up Moon Pass Road right to the pass (about the half way point). Take the road to the right, it takes you right to the saddle and is a nice, smooth road, but doesn't see much traffic. Turn left to get down to the Joe. I agree with you, from there south, easy on any bike, as is the "ATV trail" loop going north from Avery.
I had forgotten the connector at the Moon Pass saddle, as I don't ever take that route, so thanks for pointing that out for those riders less experienced, as this eliminates a "pucker" section. No reason to get anyone in a situation where their experience is not sufficient for the trail. When I lead rides, I always make sure we split the group in more difficult sections like this to ensure we don't ruin the day with broken bikes or bodies.

You know, the best way to move the "pucker" needle is to ride those little difficult sections. Following someone up that is experienced so you can follow their lines will also build your confidence.

At the top of that little section, my wife commented that she noticed that I can put my front wheel anywhere I choose, and I picked the most difficult lines all the way up. I pointed out that since the rear wheel has to follow the front wheel, I just have to worry about the front wheel placement and throttle control and enjoy the ride. Sometimes it's just that simple...

Old 06-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #5302
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:

You know, the best way to move the "pucker" needle is to ride those little difficult sections. Following someone up that is experienced so you can follow their lines will also build your confidence.
^^This. You won't improve at things you don't practice. e.g. my golf game

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #5303
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:

At the top of that little section, my wife commented that she noticed that I can put my front wheel anywhere I choose, and I picked the most difficult lines all the way up. I pointed out that since the rear wheel has to follow the front wheel, I just have to worry about the front wheel placement and throttle control and enjoy the ride. Sometimes it's just that simple...
The rear wheel only follows the front wheel if you are riding in a straight line. It's very important to know that for any technical riding.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #5304
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,883
Jeremy,

I hope you had a great time there. I heard there were over 300 bikes there this year. I caged it and met up with my Northwest Overland friends. We went through 3 keys in 2 nights. Kinda hard to carry a keg on a bike. Guess I could have used my hack to bring another one over for the bikers. Maybe next year. There were two hacks that I saw; a very cherry 1960 R69 Beemer with a Steib car and a 1150 GS. In total I think there were over 800 participants there. Everyone I talked to said the rides (both 2 and 4 wheel) were outstanding. Hope more people from the Spokane area show up next year.

My new to me '83 R100RT should be on the road some time this week. May not be a dirt bike, but anything I can throw a leg over is an adventure for me.

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook1 View Post
A couple of us middle-aged adventure newbies will be departing from Westside Motorsports around 10am tomorrow morning for the Rally. We'll probably take Hwy 28 across the basin, then find some easy gravel down to the Wenatchee. We'll be on a '13 DL650 (Jeremy) and an R1150GS (Dave). Welcome to join if you wish...

Jeremy
I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #5305
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
The rear wheel only follows the front wheel if you are riding in a straight line. It's very important to know that for any technical riding.
Hmmm, I don't think I said that the rear follows is the exact same track...

I raced national off road and ISDE qualifiers for years, and I promise, you control where the front tire goes and the rear will follow. Standing will help as well, as the rear end action will not affect your body position.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #5306
Dr. Hemlock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I decided to burn the tread off my Scorpion Trail front tire before mounting the new MT90AT. Took a 3-day, 1200-mile trip down the WA side of the Columbia, into western Oregon to visit family, then east over the Cascades for some camping.

I only had my cell phone for pics/vids; here are several.

^^Stumbled upon Ukiah-Dale Forest State Park just before dark and paid ten bucks. A little black bear sat across the creek watching me set up camp. Boring Bear Video

Dr. Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #5307
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hemlock View Post
I decided to burn the tread off my Scorpion Trail front tire before mounting the new MT90AT. Took a 3-day, 1200-mile trip down the WA side of the Columbia, into western Oregon to visit family, then east over the Cascades for some camping.

I only had my cell phone for pics/vids; here are several.

^^Stumbled upon Ukiah-Dale Forest State Park just before dark and paid ten bucks. A little black bear sat across the creek watching me set up camp. Boring Bear Video

Awesome!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #5308
Twopeace
Hugging Helps

Oddometer: 78
^^^ Yep, cool stuff for sure, Hemlock. I like how you roll!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #5309
rdhamg
DoingIt2Up

Oddometer: 11
ADV Six Days

Leaving this morning for six day ride. Making a clockwise loop through central Idaho. Weather is going to be great. Navigator has route planned with minimal asphalt. Bike is loaded and I am patiently waiting for navigator to wake up! It is probable good that she will start the trip well rested, the driver (me) has already been up for a hour! Can't wait to get some dirt under the tires. Hope everyone has a good week, mine is going to be great!
rdhamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #5310
AFVET84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Sounds like fun, Take some pics! My navigator and I like to ride the dirt roads to. Summers to busy for us to do much more than day rides though. Have a blast!
AFVET84 is offline   Reply With Quote