Old 08-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #77
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
I am a permanent resident of Canada

I gathered as much
I guess what I'm asking is that I thought as an American it was pretty much impossible to emigrate to Canada. We you in a specialized field of work that made it easier? Or was it a relationship that got you there? Or was it just a matter of applying? I'd love to move to Victoria if you can't tell
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #78
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
My job is a profession under NAFTA and I immigrated on my own. You still have to score the minimum amount of points Canada requires to immigrate no matter what profession though. NAFTA made it easier for me to be hired without being accused of taking a job away from a Canadian.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #79
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

couldn't resist adding another video of when we were on the pavement one minute and then nothing but dirt for a long time....

Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #80
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
great job on the RR

and it's your first one too...

Your trip seems like a great blend of covering large distances fairly quickly and seeing lots along the way, getting that balance right is one of the big challenges for me.

I'm going to have to check out a couple of those New England diners for sure!

looking forward to your next RR.

d
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #81
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

You got it!

you are so right about the blend....we needed to make it to NY fast....so this trip was about length and also seeing what we could see on the way. we figure each BIG trip will have a theme or sort of....our next trip depending on where we go most likely will be about distance as well but also more testing the off road capabilities and our skills. Also, less cabin/hotel camping....maybe stopping to smell a rose or two.

Glad you liked the RR....we really had no plan for this trip other then NY. Each day we set the GPS. What I do know is that we are better riders and these bikes can do so much!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #82
hazpat
cb rider

Oddometer: 37
Great RR . I don't know if anyone posted about Browning Mt, but its in the middle of the Black Feet reservation and times are a bit rough there. its alright during the day, but move on before night. Cut Bank is not too good as well. BTW I was in B.C. last July...Awesome.
hazpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #83
MZfan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Great pics and videos. Thanks for sharing! I love those BMW's and it was nice to hear they did well. I like how you went to eat a places on Food Network. I thought about doing that one time.
-Thanks

previous bike- YAMAHA 2001 XT225 -sold

MZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #84
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

we might do a trip just about the Food Network diners/dives....we only hit two but it was a lot of fun and at the Little Depot the owner took our pic for her wall because she has never met two women on BMW's doing a trip like us!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #85
cdndog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Congrats!

Really enjoyed following along! Couple of questions. Did you complete the entire trip without your glasses or did you replace them somewhere along the line? And second, really impressed with the Heidenaus, did you get them in Canada? And again, congratulations on an impressive ride!
cdndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #86
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Rode the whole trip no prescriptions!

I got my glasses sort of fixed in NY. But I never used them to be honest. I have an astigmatism and really need glasses at night. We never rode at night so sunglasses worked. But having said that I think I need reading glasses now!

We got our tires from MTR Sports. Rob who owns this company sells in the US as well as Canada. His prices for Canadians are almost at par with the US prices and he lives about 20 mins from where I do. We just picked them up at his house. Rob is a fire fighter by trade and has this company on the side. He also sells many other DS parts and accessories. I am waiting to hear about his prices and if he is able to get in K&N oil filters and what his prices are for semi-synthetic blend oil.

We have our new K60's in the garage but we are waiting to install them for now.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #87
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Nice pictures and report. Having ridden in WY and MT in June 2009, the wind was my least favorite part. A couple of times when we were parked in WY, we were pretty concerned about our bikes blowing over. I'd love to see some of the places you described in the East, so now I'll have to start saving some vacation... it's a long ride from here on the left coast.

As for glasses, I had laser surgery 3 years ago (not only was my eyesight poor, I had an astigmatism in one eye as well) - I can honestly say it's been a blessing on my past couple of extended trips not having to worry about glasses or contacts.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #88
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

thinking about the laser surgery...do you wear reading glasses now?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #89
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazpat
Great RR . I don't know if anyone posted about Browning Mt, but its in the middle of the Black Feet reservation and times are a bit rough there. its alright during the day, but move on before night. Cut Bank is not too good as well. BTW I was in B.C. last July...Awesome.
Too bad any town would have such a bad reputation....in any case...no need to go somewhere when your safety is an obvious issue....thanks for the info!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #90
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Just some advise I thought I would share about wearing our under wear...LDComfort

That is indeed your underwear so no cotton boxers or underwear needed and should not be worn. Also, for women, if you can ride in the HEAT/HOT months with LD or any under gear, try not to wear a cotton bra or any bra for that matter. Using under gear helped us and saved us from getting any chaffing, rashes or experiencing any discomfort whats so ever. Just our opinion and what worked for us.