Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Great trip nicely documented!

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #92
Twistn'roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Great RR, looks like you both had a great time!

BTW, I'm positive I passed by you two on my way out east on either July 31st or Aug 1st. It may have been in NY, VT or NH. I know, pretty vague but then my whole trip is a blur now! You both were parked at a service station/car wash. I waved as I went by. I was riding the black V-Strom sporting black Jesse's.

~TR~
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #93
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistn'roads
Great RR, looks like you both had a great time!

BTW, I'm positive I passed by you two on my way out east on either July 31st or Aug 1st. It may have been in NY, VT or NH. I know, pretty vague but then my whole trip is a blur now! You both were parked at a service station/car wash. I waved as I went by. I was riding the black V-Strom sporting black Jesse's.

~TR~
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....would have been NH or VT....don't recall seeing a V-Strom with Jesse's...we saw so many bikers and like you said our trip is pretty much a blur it seemed to go by so fast. I have to look back at the DVD I made to recall what day went with what state and Province....I miss the road so much to be honest. Been watching the Long Way Around and Long Way Down and man do I wish BMW would sponsor 2 women to take on adventures like that!

I can dream eh?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #94
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
thinking about the laser surgery...do you wear reading glasses now?
No reading glasses yet, but I can no longer read comfortably as close up as I used to - my good eye was -7.5, the bad one was -8.75 and an astigmatism. After 25 years of contacts, it is great to not need glasses all the time - I'm not too concerned if I need reading glasses in a few years.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #95
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Great report. I have been wilting away from the heat and humidity down here in Florida all summer and you guys have inspired me to get off my ass and hit the road this fall.
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #96
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM
Great report. I have been wilting away from the heat and humidity down here in Florida all summer and you guys have inspired me to get off my ass and hit the road this fall.
where there is a will there is a way! I am no longer full of apprehension when it comes to the heat or humidity! After this trip....can't say I LOVE that weather but I can manage now. Now....riding this time of year in my area....other than a bit too much of rain at times...is awesome...cool mornings and warmish days! Nice!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #97
sh1bby69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Love the ride report!! Absolutely amazing! Really makes me want to trade in my current ride for the F650 GS!! Thanks for sharing your ride with us!
sh1bby69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #98
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 117
The photos of the elk are really great!! And I love the close ups of the birds on the flowers.

That's so funny that your parents wanted to ship your bikes home. Good lord! Can you imagine what that would have cost!?

Being a New Yorker, yep, the George Washington Bridge. Ugh. And I swear it doesn't matter the time of day, it's always a mess!! And it was such a humid summer here. Really one of the worst, I think anyway!

Great RR!!! Thanks!!
brazen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #99
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

the day we arrived in NY..maybe you read in the RR...was the worst day on record. My folks called us while we were upstate to say stay up there for the day and come down on Sunday July 25th. The humidity along the east coast almost killed us....I grew up in NY but man have I acclimated to the west. Heat index of 115 that Saturday and all I can say is staying mentally healthy on day like that was way more important than riding skills.

One day we shall never forget!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #100
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen13
The photos of the elk are really great!! And I love the close ups of the birds on the flowers.

That's so funny that your parents wanted to ship your bikes home. Good lord! Can you imagine what that would have cost!?

Being a New Yorker, yep, the George Washington Bridge. Ugh. And I swear it doesn't matter the time of day, it's always a mess!! And it was such a humid summer here. Really one of the worst, I think anyway!

Great RR!!! Thanks!!
cost was not the issue for my family....they just thought we were NUTS! and could not be having fun traveling this way....so naive they all are!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #101
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 18,089
Great report!!!!
The NE US was a bear weather wise this summer.
I was in the Saratoga Springs area most of the summer and it was hotter than Albuquerque most of the time + the humidity...somedays I felt like
Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #102
werewasi

Oddometer: n/a
Great RR and after doing an 8 week 16,000km ride in the States and Canada, I wish i'd known about the Food Network. Can you expand on it.?

What was that big bronze coloured car in your Pop's garage? Looks interesting !!.

A point about carrying fuel in "plastic" jerrycans. You said that you only partly filled them because then there would be expansion room.
I go out outback in Aus regularly (in my ute since the DR 650 is gone) and carry 7 x 25 litre (nominal) jerrycans. If you only fill them to 4/5 vol and leave an air gap, what happens is that as it gets hot the fuel vapourises easily because of the air space and starts pressurising the container.This pressure lowers the differential between the flash (boil off) and ambient temperature so you accelerate the process.
A better way is to fill a 25 liter jerry with 20 liters and then press the sides in so that you elininate the air space. Because there's no air, the fuel can't vapourise. Sure the fuel expands, but not to the extent that vapour does.
The jerry just 'grows' a bit in size and doesn't exceed it's original size by much.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #103
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Here you can check out all the restaurants that have been on the show Diner's drive ins and Dives...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-dr...ves/index.html

We hit another in Everett, Washington

Good info on the jerry can...I'll remember that for next trip! My father owns an Oldsmobile but you know I can not remember if it is a 1957 or 56 super 88 if I remember correctly. Will have to ask him....he wins almost all the shows he enters it but he did not do the restoration...he bought it that way but still feels and acts like he put sweat into the car....like sweating when he penned the amount on his cheque to pay for it!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #104
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Planning our next trip

Our Northern Way Up Trek will be July to August 2011....Alaska, Yukon, NWT here we come...this trip has to be planned a bit but we will also be taking it day to day as the weather and scenery guides us! Stay tuned!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #105
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Great R/R.....I recognize many of the places you past or stayed at from my own adventures.
I would like to know something....In one of your video clips I watched the was a flashing rear light on the back of your bike.....where did you get it or was it just your brake light flashing? Also...Is it legal in Canada, I live in Ontario and am a rear-end survivor.....so I want as much light on the rear to be seen as humanly possible......Cervival herniations are not enjoyable!
Thanks again for sharing your ride and experiences....excellent!
BC is a beautiful place to live...I wish....maybe one day?
willys is offline   Reply With Quote