User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #46
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Risers

Everyone I ride with has risers on their F658/800.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #47
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Everyone I ride with has risers on their F658/800.
I concur. I've never seen anyone who rides this bike and not ride it with risers... Something to consider in the design process.

craftycoder screwed with this post 09-08-2010 at 11:53 AM
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #48
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,205
Can I go off-topic for a second? ... risers

I have a set of 20mm risers and wondeirng if it's enough...
When seated in my normal riding position even with the risers my arms are just about out straight very little if any bend at the elbows...

What kinda "ergonomics" should I be thinking about?
I've been considering the Rox risers.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #49
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Getting a rise

I just need to be able to stand on the pegs without hunching. Lowering the pegs helps as well with that. It also gives me less knee bend when seated which makes long highway stints more bearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
When seated in my normal riding position even with the risers my arms are just about out straight very little if any bend at the elbows...

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #50
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:

I started out with the 20mm risers......Not enough...I`m 6`2", and after first ditching the rox risers...... (because of the limited space installing them).....I really like them. Comfy standing, and much more natural posture riding.
Well worth the purchase......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #51
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 172
Me, being monkey-armed would like some drag bars. My XPC seat comes tomorrow so hopefully that'll raise me up for some extra leg room. We'll see what it does for turbulence from the BMW touring screen.

Standing on the pegs I haven't had any issue, nor have I wanted risers.

Just another non-average proportioned rider.
Kyle
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #52
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys!

I am a bit hunched standing.

I have removed the rubber pads from the stock pegs, and have a Sargent seat that has about 1" of extra height over stock, so leg room is OK.
Seated riding is OK as is but seems like it would be a bit better with a tad more bend at the elbows.

Jim
Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #53
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,376
Lowered pegs and 3.5" Rox Risers on mine and it's *just* enough. (I'm 6'2"). I'm sure there will be a position with the risers that will work with this screen...hope so anyway!

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #54
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
rox risers

Do any (all?) of the Rox risers, regardless of height, require new brake or clutch lines?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #55
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider
Do any (all?) of the Rox risers, regardless of height, require new brake or clutch lines?
The one they specify for the 8gs....they mention that it does not need it...... But mine did. At full lock......both clutch and brake line was to tight for my comfort........ I had both of mine redone. That said ....many claim that theirs are ok....... I tried to re-route them....but to no avail.

Erling
Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #56
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Rox Risers

If you needed new cables...were you putting on the two-inch risers, or the taller ones?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #57
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider
If you needed new cables...were you putting on the two-inch risers, or the taller ones?
I put on the 1 3/4 inch risers. That is the ones developed around the 8gs. After installing them......at full lock.....there were just too much "yank" on both clutch and brake, so I went to a local hose maker....and for $35 had a 19 inch brake hose made...... A 18 will be alright as well. I went to my dealer to get a f800s/st clutch cable........People said it was 2 inch longer........There were two part numbers for it.....so I picked one. It was indeed 2 inches longer.....but the throw was about 1/2 inch shorter.....so I had to do a little surgery on the cable housing to shorten it........but got it to work. I have no idea as how mine were too short.....and others are ok........
I tried some rerouting....but did not like the yanking at full lock.

Erling
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #58
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

These are the instructions another inmate posted on how to re-route the clutch cable. I have not tried to make an assessment yet ... damn job keeps getting in the way...
I am going to try to give the Rox folks a ring, I think they have two versions now, a 2" rise and a newer 1 3/4" rise unit ... not sure I would have bothered with making a new version to save 1/4" unless it was to preserve the stock cables/lines -- I'll try and find out.

1. Detach clutch cable from clutch. This might involve a bit of work to get enough slack to allow you to pull it away from the catch.
2. Detach clutch cable from clutch lever. Once the clutch cable is free of the clutch you should have more than enough free play to work on this. If you look at the underside of the lever housing you'll notice a notch at the bottom where you'll be able to take the cable out from.
3. You will probably have to take off some of the clips keeping the clutch cable housing bundled with the other cables, and depending on how much slack you have, may also have to loosen or remove the wire guide. Also a good time to squirt some cable lube if you feel like it's sticking.
4. At this point you should now be free to thread the cable housing through the triple clamp and to whatever position you want. I have mine just going up the inner left side of the fairing panel and this has given me enough slack at full lock with my Rox risers on.
5. Reattach the cable to the lever housing and then the clutch.
6. Stand back and bask in the satisfaction of a simple job well done.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #59
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
These are the instructions another inmate posted on how to re-route the clutch cable. I have not tried to make an assessment yet ... damn job keeps getting in the way...
I am going to try to give the Rox folks a ring, I think they have two versions now, a 2" rise and a newer 1 3/4" rise unit ... not sure I would have bothered with making a new version to save 1/4" unless it was to preserve the stock cables/lines -- I'll try and find out.

1. Detach clutch cable from clutch. This might involve a bit of work to get enough slack to allow you to pull it away from the catch.
2. Detach clutch cable from clutch lever. Once the clutch cable is free of the clutch you should have more than enough free play to work on this. If you look at the underside of the lever housing you'll notice a notch at the bottom where you'll be able to take the cable out from.
3. You will probably have to take off some of the clips keeping the clutch cable housing bundled with the other cables, and depending on how much slack you have, may also have to loosen or remove the wire guide. Also a good time to squirt some cable lube if you feel like it's sticking.
4. At this point you should now be free to thread the cable housing through the triple clamp and to whatever position you want. I have mine just going up the inner left side of the fairing panel and this has given me enough slack at full lock with my Rox risers on.
5. Reattach the cable to the lever housing and then the clutch.
6. Stand back and bask in the satisfaction of a simple job well done.
Yeppers...... I followed those exact instructions......But still too tight for my liking at full lock.....

Erling
Old 09-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #60
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Subscribed and hoping to bring this thread back on topic. There are riser threads for those questions.

Any idea when this fairing will be ready for sale to the public? I have one of the fastest grey 800's and could use a new fairing...
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote