User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Johnny Locks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
K1200RS Thread

Since I couldn't find a dedicated K1200RS thread, I figured I'd start one. My hope is that this thread will turn into a resource for K1200RS owners, myself included.

I've been riding dual sports lately (last 6 years or so) but I had a K bike way back in the early 90's and I really liked that thing. So a few months ago I started shopping for another. I had been trying to find a K75s or K100RS because that's what I had, and I really like the way they look. But then I started reading reviews of the KRS and it seemed that technologically speaking the KRS was leaps and bounds ahead of the prior K bikes, so I decided to get one of those instead. Picked it up last week. 2001 with 28k miles.

Holy shite, this thing is an animal. Being used to dual sports that are reaching their upper end of their limits at 75 or 80 mph, getting on the KRS is quite a thing. This thing is just getting STARTED at 75 or 80. It's going to take a little time to refine my style of riding to adjust to what the bike is capable of and learn the nuances of how it handles.

A couple of photos:

The first owner suped it up. It's got Ohlins front and rear shocks, running lights, a two brothers exhaust, and I think he put in a performance computer chip, though I haven't looked yet. I wish it had the stock exhaust because that two brother system is loud. Although for safety it might be better, when I'm boxed in on the freeway, the cars in my immediate vicinity know I'm there. Interestingly the first owner was a State Patrolman in his 60's. It's kind of funny to imagine him ripping around on this freaking hot rod.

I did just discover that the paralever bearings were loose, and the pinion seal on the final drive is leaking. I don't know how involved changing the pinion seal is, but I will probably take the final drive off and bring it to a local BMW mechanic to fix. I can check and replace the paralever bearings if needed when I do that.

Feel free to chime in with any KRS related info. I'll be spending some time getting to know this bike. Any problem areas I should pay special attention to? I will be going through and changing all the fluids, and giving the thing a once over.

Got a KRS? Let's see it!
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
Nice bike...yep I have been riding one for a while and will be for another while yet.

Sure...I am busy riding these days so not a lot of time to contribute to a specific thread on here. Go sign on I-BMW....that's where the learning happens.

Pivot bearings and RD seal, lots of the info is on here also, go snoop in the airheads or GS subforums, they are the same parts and even parts numbers all the way back to the introduction of the Paralevers back in 1988.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,343
I had one for about a year and a half, loved riding it. Hated having to remove half the bike to replace a $2 o-ring. The only reason I sold it is because I found a screaming deal on a k1600GT and had to make room in the garage.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,795
Here is my 02 K12rs.
Just did two days and 965 miles in WV.
Attached Images

ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,682
I bought on of these from a used car dealer in South Carolina once. This is a great motorcycle. It is solid as a rock. Look at a picture of the frame sometime. It gets in a groove at about 90 mph. Solid.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,608
I had a 1998 K1200RS and this 2003.

A great sport-tourer with the ability to strip the cases off and ride like a (fat) sportbike. The flying brick was a nice powerplant laid down flat for really good COG. I had a lot of fun on my RS's and thought they were great looking (and still do).

Old 11-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
rolarosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Still hold up in the looks department- always liked the design. Never owned one but am curious how they are to live with.
rolarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #8
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolarosa View Post
Still hold up in the looks department- always liked the design. Never owned one but am curious how they are to live with.
Owned three of them 98, 2000 and 2003. Got up one saturday morning and hopped on the bike at 9 AM in columbus, Ohio. 5PM that night I was sitting in the lobby of a hotel in Ottawa. To answer your question--easy!!
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #9
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
This thread has excellent timing. I was just shopping these again yesterday. I love the look. I love the reviews. I love the current price range!
studad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,608
Another pic...I loved my K12RS, especially when living in Colorado (here coming down from Echo Lake & Mount Evans)!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,771
Hate to rain on the parade, but while i put 60k on my 98(bought with 36k)I found the 1200gs I replaced it with was noticeably quicker 0-60, handled better, got better gas mileage, had far better luggage and stopped better due to lighter weight, Easy to get 10k miles out of either tourance as well. When you throw in the better seating position, and the fact its much easier to service, well you get the picture.

The k12rs is better looking, but dropping one of them will have a far greater impact on the pocketbook. Lubed a couple clutches too, well over $1k/each to repair.

The only thing a 1200gs won't do better than a k1200rs is 150mph, FWIW.

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #12
CycleSick
n00b

Oddometer: 1
K1200rs abs

I've been looking at used K1200RS bikes for a while now, but reading about costly ABS issues is putting me off. Horror stories of a $2200 part crapping out right when you need it are not reassuring. Reading stories like, "I had no warning unti I used the front brake, then the warning light came on and I slid into the car in front of me...." Granted, it's the internet, but whats the scoop on the second gen. "flying brick" ABS system?
CycleSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
nobody
motomaniac

Oddometer: 1,721
Mine decided to ceased working,those are not servo assisted,brakes are functional without the abs .mine is a 2001 and put about 40k without abs,curently just over 98 k's all together.Fantastic bike!It feels like a train on rails,easy to get speeding tickets thou