Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,490
Does anyone have a f800s or are they really that bad?

I'm still obsessing over 1 of these. They where only Stateside 1 year in 07 so it seems they are super rare.

There are 3 on Craigslist at what seem reasonable prices. I think it would be a sweet commuter and something my fiancé could ride too being smaller than my 1150GS.

Any input? Has anyone ever owned one?

Greg
Old 06-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I had the ST, which meant that I did a lot of reading about them on the forums. Seems like quite a few 07 owners were complaining about "piston slap," which is not something that's going to leave you on the side of the road, but is something to avoid nonetheless. Didn't hear as many complaints from later year owners. This was not a scientific survey, so it may not be worth much, but if it were me I'd check the bike out carefully with regard to state of the engine and mileage.

Other than that, I think it's a great bike for a new-ish rider who's ready to move up in size.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I'm still obsessing over 1 of these. They where only Stateside 1 year in 07 so it seems they are super rare.

There are 3 on Craigslist at what seem reasonable prices. I think it would be a sweet commuter and something my fiancé could ride too being smaller than my 1150GS.

Any input? Has anyone ever owned one?

Greg
My take is that the typical BMW buyer did not like the Ducati 900SS style seating position of the F800S, and bought the ST instead.

I thought the S had a real natural sporty seating position. I never owned one, but it was the one I liked the most. Though, it's typical of me to prefer oddball stuff.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 06-29-2014 at 11:26 AM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
I've always thought that the 2009 F800S with the (rare) optional full lower fairing was the best of the F800 series.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
I have an '08 F800ST for sale, also in Pittsburgh.

If you're asking about the F800S/ST in general, I'd say definitely go for it -- they're sweet. Can't say much about S vs ST except that I'd want handlebars higher than those on the S. BUT, that's clearly something that different people will have different opinions about.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Rode one at launch and loved it. 600cc I4 speed with vtwin torque and enough to BMW-ness to feel different.

Early ones could have problems with stalling and piston-slap. But someone on the 800 forum put well over 100,000 miles on one.

It never sold well (there are about 600 registered for the road in the UK, last time I checked).

I think it was Wunderlich that made the fairing-lowers.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
I had a '07 F800S for a few years and enjoyed every mile, BUT found the riding position to be a bit to aggressive for my old bones. In January I picked up a F800GT and it's much more comfy for me.

Paul
Old 06-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
When I was looking at picking up a used one a couple years ago, two 800ST riders warned me away from it due to the piston issue. They said at about 20k miles the trouble comes on those early ones. I liked it in yellow and if I could a later one cheap, I'd still consider it.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
I had an attractive yellow one until just recently.

Yes, several issues plagued these bikes when first introduced. It's a BMW afterall.

I never had a lick of trouble from mine but I didn't log many miles on it.

Piston slap and engine stalls were common complaints. The air bleed hoses for the throttle bodies would pinch and cause most of the stalls. BMW redesigned them and issued a recall.

The Big Kahuna, however, was failures of the rear single-sided swingarm hub assembly.

BMW re-designed the rear hub a year or two after the S was introduced but only last year, in 2013 and then only under legal pressure from the US NHTSA, issued a bulletin on this part and offered to fix it even if the bike is out of warranty.

Other than that, it's a fine bike. I liked the riding position. Sporty but not overly aggressive.

The front forks may could benefit from stronger springs or additional preload spacers on the stock springs and the next heavier fork oil. The bike will hang with just about anything on the curvy stuff and out in the open it will eat up a 140 mph bill.

One helluva hot rod. Amazing it's only an 800 twin.

I would certainly have kept mine except that I also have Big Brother, a R1200S also offered only in 2007.

Good deals can be found on an 800S if you can find one. Check out those problems and talk to your local BMW shop about the recalls.

Also, go here for all kinda stuff related to the 800 bikes-

http://f800riders.org/forum/forum.php

The S is rare in the USA.

leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,490
Thanks guys for the input. I may end up with an ST. Found a 08 semi local and may check it out Monday after work. It's 400.00 more than the S, but has factory luggage and top box. .....BUT it's not yellow!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 620
love my f800st. comfy (for me), eats up miles, and when the road gets twisty:

seriously, the fake boxer roar when winding up hard from the lower revs after each shift is a huge hook.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 620
Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
[IMG][/IMG]

I had one for a little over a year. The F800 motor is not the most exciting but it might just be one of the best all around motors out there. It was very user friendly and was able to do a little bit of everything. Took it on a 2500 mile round trip run to Texas for the Inaugural F1 races and didn't miss a beat. I did a few tasteful mods for comfort such as risers and seat and adjustable pegs too. The fairings were just for vanity....

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 AM   #14
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Picked one up about a month ago. Very glad I did. The previous owner had done the super bike bar conversion so it has the ST style handlebars instead of the S clip ons but I have them if I want to switch back. Very comfortable, very capable. Perfect for someone who wants fun without going overboard.
I did immediately have an issue with the pinched hoses as mentioned above but it now has the newer style so shouldn't have to deal with that anymore. Not a big deal. The rear bearing is covered if it ever starts to go bad so wouldn't worry about that either. The only potential worry is piston slap.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote