User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
motorhead748 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
duc 796

ive been thinking I want a smaller bike. I don't need anything and I certainly don't need a 3rd ducati. talk me out of it or not
motorhead748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Don't know a thing about them other than I've been drooling for one all day.

Music
http://www.ducatiusa.com/cms-web/upl...nster821_4.mp3
http://www.ducatiusa.com/cms-web/upl...nster821_1.mp3
Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
op48no1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
I have an 1100 Evo. The only real complaint, and I assume this applies to the 796 as well, is the off-idle throttle surging. Seems to be sensitive to valve adjustment, and my exhaust closers have been tight at both the 7500 and 15K mile services. I was gong to get an ECU reflash but since the 15K service the engine has been running stunningly well.

The thing goes like a guided missile. Even though the Evo is supposed to be in a very high state of tune, it's not peaky at all. Doesn't pull like a tractor down low the way my 750 Paso did (once I put on Dellortos, that stock Weber was a very bad match), but it makes good, linear power all the way up to the (surprisingly low) 8000 RPM redline. Very torquey through the midrange. It likes to cruise at 3500-4000 RPM and the torque is right there, ready to JUMP when you hit the throttle. This is a bike that urges you to go fast. But it's not scary fast and overall is pretty unintimidating. Not the best bike for crawling in stop-and-go traffic, though.

I just put a new pair of Pirelli Angel GTs on -- I'm very impressed with these tires. I also fitted a slightly higher Rizoma bar that made a big difference in my comfort, though they don't look that different visually.

You already know Ducati so you know service is expensive. Haven't had any major issues, except for a broken shift return spring at 10K miles, covered under warranty. An oil cooler line loosened up and sprang a big leak. Got that fixed under warranty as well. Also, the front brake rotors "honk" under hard braking right before you come to a stop. And the rear shock is marginal.

If you're serious, I suggest looking for a left-over or slightly used 1100 Evo. You get an adjustable front fork, more power and torque, and traction control.

-Henry