Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #151
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublen View Post
as far as the Streety goes the handling is better than the Speed Triple by leaps and bounds. Just so much lighter.

You talkin' about normal day-to-day riding or a track day??
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #152
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post

Period.

Compared to the 2010 Speed Triple you are talking a 90 pound difference fueled up.

Plus, less rotating mass.

The Speed Triple is a great bike but the Street (the R in particular) can turn circles around it.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #153
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc View Post
When looking for tankbags, I could find very few pics online...So I took extras in case some other poor bastard is trying to find pics installed....

2011 Street Triple R
Givi T480 Tankbag
Givi BF02 Mount Ring

On Bike...

No chance to ride with it yet.... My preliminary thought is that the bag might seem too big, but will reserve that determination until after I get to ride with it....
rich, how do you like the bag so far? i've been thinking about picking on up but not sure if the ring mount is really worth the extra coin...
riceaterslc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #154
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Triumph noob question... but I'll throw it out there.... how reliable are these Street Triple R's.... and are they pretty low maintenance bikes?

I ride a Yamaha WR250X now, which is basically a "change the oil and lube the chain" kind of ride, which I like. How do the Street Triple's compare?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #155
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post

Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Triumph noob question... but I'll throw it out there.... how reliable are these Street Triple R's.... and are they pretty low maintenance bikes?

I ride a Yamaha WR250X now, which is basically a "change the oil and lube the chain" kind of ride, which I like. How do the Street Triple's compare?
11k miles on my R so far and no problems whatsoever. Not even the dreaded R/R issues have plagued me...yet. All I have done is oil changes and tires. Due for a coolant flush and the 12k service, but pretty much all stuff I can do on my own. I would recommend doing the services yourself if you are capable because they can get spendy. Consider the fact that most Triumph dealers are combined with the Euro brands like Ducati, labor rates are outrageous. From the beginning I refused to do services at the dealer and it's saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars. As far as overall dependability goes, Triumph is on par with any other major manufacturer out there.
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #156
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 406
Here is mine. I ride to the track and cover the lights.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #157
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
10,000 miles on mine, the only issue is that I had the gear position indicator replaced under warranty. Bike has run flawless and is a hoot to ride. The R/R has not been a problem for me, but I'd like to change it out for peace of mind.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #158
gtbensley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Here is mine. I ride to the track and cover the lights.
For riding that thing on the track....or even street, you have some pretty large chicken strips there.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #159
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrog View Post
10,000 miles on mine, the only issue is that I had the gear position indicator replaced under warranty. Bike has run flawless and is a hoot to ride. The R/R has not been a problem for me, but I'd like to change it out for peace of mind.
What is the R/R issue you guys speak of?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #160
Jccc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
What is the R/R issue you guys speak of?

There referring to the regulator/rectifier.

The regulator/rectifier is part of the charging system, and has been known to be problematic.

HV Tag-o-Rama Grab Map

Jccc screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 06:40 PM
Jccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #161
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccc View Post
There referring to the regulator/rectifier.

The regulator/rectifier is part of the charging system, and has been known to be problematic.

One may note that mid year 2010 they started installing different (pretty sure they are MOSFET vice the older SCR) regulators from the factory and any replacement you get is going to be one of the new ones.

I haven't checked the prices for the OEM since I have yet to have any regulator issues (well any issues) with my 675 in the last couple years.

But yeah, 06-07 the CCT and R/R are suspect, and easily upgrade, I mean $250 if you put a manual CCT and MOSFET regulator aftermarket. The 08-2010 the only repeating issue is the regulator.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #162
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 332
Factory pricing for the new MOSFET regulator kit (R/R, bracket and lead) is about US$200. Triumph P/N T1301234.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #163
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
Factory pricing for the new MOSFET regulator kit (R/R, bracket and lead) is about US$200. Triumph P/N T1301234.
You can get an aftermarket for about a 30% discount.....either way I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. That isn't something that I am going to keep in spares.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #164
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

From Triumph's Flickr gallery... http://www.flickr.com/photos/officia...th/5571222036/

Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #165
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Period.

Compared to the 2010 Speed Triple you are talking a 90 pound difference fueled up.

Plus, less rotating mass.

The Speed Triple is a great bike but the Street (the R in particular) can turn circles around it.
Don't get me wrong... I think the Street Triple is an awesome machine, but what you're saying does not add up. The Triumph site claims a wet weight difference of 55 pounds - not 90. The Speed may have some more rotating mass, but it also has more horsepower and torque.

A friend of mine has a Daytona 675, and I have no problems hangin' with it on the street. You think a Street R is going to have better luck turning circles around a S3 than a Daytona??

Don't let the own your judgment. These are two great bikes that have different attributes... I'd say where you find the power being the biggest factor.

On a side note, shoot me a PM if you or anyone else find yourself over my way... I'd be happy to show you'se some great places to ride.

Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote