Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #166
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
Don't get me wrong... I think the Street Triple is an awesome machine, but what you're saying does not add up. The Triumph site claims a wet weight difference of 55 pounds - not 90. The Speed may have some more rotating mass, but it also has more horsepower and torque.

A friend of mine has a Daytona 675, and I have no problems hangin' with it on the street. You think a Street R is going to have better luck turning circles around a S3 than a Daytona??

Don't let the own your judgment. These are two great bikes that have different attributes... I'd say where you find the power being the biggest factor.

On a side note, shoot me a PM if you or anyone else find yourself over my way... I'd be happy to show you'se some great places to ride.

I own both a Speed Triple a Daytona 675.

My T595 Speedie is +490wet, the claimed curb on a 2010 is 477 (I forget if they count fuel in curb weight).....My 675 on freight scales at work box stock is 409 pounds.....with a full tank.

Do I think that I a STR will out turn a 'Tona on the Street? Abso-friggin-lutely.

I can wing a STR faster side to side than either my Speed, or my 'Tona. Mainly because I usually draw the line on the street to the point that I start feeling the urge to hang off. There isn't a hell of a lot of difference between the chassis and the suspension between an STR and a 2008 Daytona... longer shock and different cartridge for the street, but its primarily detail stuff.

Sure on a track the Daytona is going to be easier to get around a corner, but its ergonomically designed for it, where you are fighting with peg clearance and bad wrist angles on a Street, the Daytona is the easiest bike I have ever ridden to get off the side of.

For the record I've rarely had issues keeping up with anyone that was going under 130mph on my old boat anchor Speed Triple, that is why its getting new forks and a penske this year.

...oh and believe it or not I'm pretty familiar with the area, I lived over in New Mexico for 4 and half years.....I was all over the placef all the time.

Tripped1 screwed with this post 04-23-2011 at 11:56 AM
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #167
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Here's a photo from my first track day. I rode out to Spring Mountain in Pahrump NV from SoCal.
Attached Images

VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #168
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixObs View Post
Here's a photo from my first track day. I rode out to Spring Mountain in Pahrump NV from SoCal.
Nice, any trouble with the tape melting from the headlight heat?
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #169
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Anyone experienced both the Street Triple and the Speed Triple back to back? I'm tinking of adding a 2011 Speed Triple to my stable, but wondering if a Street R would be a better choice. The new Speed is supposed to be closer in the handling departement than it's predecessor, but it still wheighs 25 kg more.

I'm leaning towards the Speed because it has the optional ABS, that glorious 1050 motor and the stunning looking rear end. Anyone who can convince me otherwise?
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #170
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 718
I love my '09 StrippeR SO much...

...that when I heard Triumph was gonna put that engine in the new Tiger, I sold my BMW. That was in October 2010. So now, here it is April 2011. I own two of the most awesome bikes EVER!

(The Scrambler is a co-worker's. I work at an all Triumph shop!)

So far, they're getting along great together.

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

bug67 screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 01:39 PM
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #171
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbensley View Post
For riding that thing on the track....or even street, you have some pretty large chicken strips there.
Thanks. I agree, you are probably a better rider than me. No point in asking any questions to clarify.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #172
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Thanks. I agree, you are probably a better rider than me. No point in asking any questions to clarify.
Hey nothing to be ashamed of tire strips....Keeping those things at a reasonable size is a good way to keep one from wrecking their self and their bike!
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #173
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
I've never really ridden anything faster than a 250. My WR250X is reasonably quick, but everything's relative. Am I in for a rude awakening if I pick up a Street Triple R? Is it going to be substantially faster than my 250? Just wondering... because my WR250X has already gotten me several warnings around here, and I'm wondering what kind of trouble a STR would get me in LOL.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #174
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceaterslc View Post
rich, how do you like the bag so far? i've been thinking about picking on up but not sure if the ring mount is really worth the extra coin...
Got about 250 miles with it so far...Bag is nice... I'd say the ring mount is worth the extra few bucks....

Zippers are a little tight, but think those will break in and run a bit smoother with use....

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #175
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
I've never really ridden anything faster than a 250. My WR250X is reasonably quick, but everything's relative. Am I in for a rude awakening if I pick up a Street Triple R? Is it going to be substantially faster than my 250? Just wondering... because my WR250X has already gotten me several warnings around here, and I'm wondering what kind of trouble a STR would get me in LOL.
Huge difference in gearing. The overall output is "similar" but the Street makes a whole hell of a lot more HP and Torque. Taller gearing equals higher attainable speeds. But down low, the dirtbike could probably do pretty good to keep up in first gear. So if you are having issues in town, then you won't see much difference. In reality, it has less to do with how fast your bike is than it does how much self-control you have. If that's the case, then you'd be getting pulled over on a 50cc moped just the same.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #176
gtbensley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Nah probably not, never been to the track just know what I have tought myself and from watching others. Just felt like commenting on them for some reason. Beautiful bike you have there, have always loved the look of them and the sound is just amazing.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #177
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
So now, here it is April 2011. I own two of the most awesome bikes EVER!
So far, they're getting along great together.
Me too
Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #178
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
Me too
Flashin' it around everywhere I see.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #179
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublen View Post
Nice, any trouble with the tape melting from the headlight heat?
No, not at all. I used blue painter's tape. The lights don't get hot enough to melt it. It was chilly out. A little bit of drizzle and a few snowflakes. Some people disconnect the fuse for the headlights but the Street's happen to be the same as the one for starter.
VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #180
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixObs View Post
No, not at all. I used blue painter's tape. The lights don't get hot enough to melt it. It was chilly out. A little bit of drizzle and a few snowflakes. Some people disconnect the fuse for the headlights but the Street's happen to be the same as the one for starter.

Painters tape won't melt the to the lights when its hotter than hell. That is why everyone uses it.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote