Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #226
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Would look better with a low pipe....is that Tarquin's 1198?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #227
Klink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Bird View Post
Would look better with a low pipe....is that Tarquin's 1198?

That you Glen? You're like Gene Hackman's character in The Conversation!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071360/
Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #228
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Got back from my trip a couple days ago...Ended up riding 7 days for a total of 1837 miles on the Triple...Was good fun - crummy ride report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696621

Anyway, a number of you were interest in how the C-Bow bags performed on a trip...At this point, I say

One side housed:
Sneakers
Flipflops
Rainsuit
First Aid Kit
Compressor & Tire plug kit

Other side:
4 T-shirts
1 spare pair of jeans
1 pair shorts
4 pairs socks
4 pair undies
1 pair cotton sleeping pants

Givi tankbag held:
sunglasses
spare helmet visor
toiletry bag
bottle of water
advil/smokes/etc
& still had extra room...

I was able to do a 7 day trip and did laundry once in the middle of it at the hotel...Ride was light... I think if more space than this was needed, it'd be ideal to add one of the Kriega's like you guys had in pages previously and you could go on a more or less indefinite trip at that point...

Wind protection or lack thereof didn't bother me at all, though I think my tankbag probably acts as a pretty good windshield...

Only real issue I has was fatigue in the right hand when I was on the interstate highway sections...I've got a kuryakyn universal throttle boss already which help immensely, but think I might check to see if Throttlemeister, Kaoko, or Vista Cruise offer anything for the S3....

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #229
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 489
Thanks for the update on the bags. You are right; with a Kriega strapped to the back seat between those Hepco bags one could easily pack as much as needed for an extended trip. I have the small Triumph fly screen on my bike and I never had an issue with all day riding, even when it required some Interstate travel. I will take smooth airflow over the buffeting and noise many screens produce any day. I have a "proper" touring bike in a 1200GS, but frankly, I feel much more part of the experience on the Triple. The GS is relaxing to ride, but the Triple is engaging. Guess it depends on the mood and the occasion, but the GS collects dust while the Triple and my little WRX get the saddle time. If I was simply trying to cover the most ground in the shortest time or if the weather was cold/wet, I would take the Beemer. Otherwise, the Triumph fits my style well. I turn 51 in a couple months and it seems the older I get, the more I revert to smaller, lighter and sportier bikes. In fact, after taking a fun demo ride with Nate at Indy Ducati, I have been giving serious consideration to adding a Hyper 796 to the fleet.

Shep
Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #230
Klink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23

The Arrow Low Boy!
Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #231
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 489
That lowboy does look sweet. I opted for the high mount Arrows, but your photo has me thinking maybe I should have went the other route!

Shep
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #232
Rincewind
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Thanks for the info and pics on the C-Bow system, Rich. Looks very good and fits the bike.

Here is a link to a recent trip I took with my STR. I love this bike!

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...c,64210.0.html

Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #233
Kindjal
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Street Triple R as a "comeback" bike?

Greetings all,

I discovered this thread after many days of researching motorcycles suitable for my return to the sport. I'm 38 years old and haven't ridden since college, when I owned an '89 EX500. I've caught the bug again, and I've been trying to figure out the right bike to get after all these years away. My old 500 was fine for me back then, but I remember not feeling very stable on the highway, and I wanted to get something in the 600cc+ range to increase stability. I can't really get excited about a 500 anymore. I feel more "grown up" and ready to experience "more motorcycle". After many days thinking and searching and reading, I find myself in love with the Street Triple R. At least in my mind.

I take an MSF course in August. I'm trying to find a used S3R online in the meantime and get everything ready to go, buy gear, etc. But I've read a ton online that suggests an S3R is "not a beginner's bike" and that the throttle is very sensitive, it's easy to wheelie even if you don't want to, etc.

So, to all you S3/S3R owners, what do you think of a mature 38 year old returning to the sport on an S3R? Am I likely to kill myself? Or do you think the much advertised "telepathic handling" and "easy riding" will make it a decent comeback bike?
Kindjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #234
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
I wouldn't have liked my re-entry with it. I would have probably survived, but I had more than 120k miles done back in the 90s on all kinds of bikes, ranging from a 400 Suzuki to a Honda ST1100.

If you are into the posture on the Street Triple, I'd start with a Suzuki SV650 naked (not the faired one, that's much harder for a beginner with the stubby handles), ride it for a year, maybe dump it once or twice, sell it for roughly what you bought it for and then get a Street Triple (or whatever floats your boat then).

Right now I'm really trying hard to not write a very nasty comment about "500 doesn't excite me anymore" ... A WR250X excites me more than most bikes on the roads I really love ... I would more likely kill myself with that one than with the GS I have at the moment.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #235
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
FWIW, I bought a naked SV650, put 7,000 miles on it in about 18 months, and just sold it and got a street triple.

I'm 39, so not much different than you. It is touchy, but then the SV is pretty torquey as well.

I'm still in the 'keep it under 5000 rpm' break-in, though. From my test ride on a demo bike, I know that there is a LOT of power higher in the rev range, and I'm being extra cautious.

I love the bike, though.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #236
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
You won't wheelie it unless you are trying. Without looking up the weights, the Striple is around 400 lbs in OEM trim. Probably not any heavier than the EX500, so the highway stability-thing shouldn't differ that much. The power delivery is worlds different though. You might be a little rusty, but you still have the basics ingrained, so I think you'll do fine. The Striple is an animal of a bike - it does not coddle you, but instead hurtles you down the road. It's a full-on supersport without the fairings and a somewhat upright seating position. It is wild fun to ride, and with a few modifications (i.e. aftermarket seat), it can tour as well - just don't try to carry too much luggage. Every real man deserves to own this bike once in their life - go for it.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #237
Kindjal
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the replies so far...

@cug: It's not that I don't have respect for 250 - 500cc bikes, I do. It's just that I want to buy a bike I'm excited about! I just find that I'm not feeling it for the Japanese bikes, and the Euro bikes that I'm drawn to, like the Triumph, don't come in a small displacement zone.

I've read several articles talking about the S3R as a "return to riding" bike. Also mentioned are the BMW GS 800 series and the Ducati Monster.

I contacted one S3R seller and while he'd already sold the bike I asked him about the notion and he said it had been his first bike too. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm getting a lot of mixed signals.
Kindjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #238
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindjal View Post
So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm getting a lot of mixed signals.
I guess, that's pretty normal. For what it's worth, I consider myself a fairly decent rider which lots of miles, but I was away from riding for 10 years. I wouldn't have wanted a Street Triple as my first bike after that. It would have been exciting, of course, but also dangerous for me.

The F800GS was a handful at times. I had to get back into the correct habits - it wasn't that I didn't know them anymore, it just took it's time to get back into:

1) Slow speed control - snatchy throttles of most fuel injected bikes aren't helpful.

2) Getting rid of target fixation (again). I have that under control 99% of the time, but I still have to concentrate properly. A more "tame" bike helps not getting into situations where it might kill you.

3) Getting throttle control back. I started riding again with 39 and I didn't have the pretty much perfect motion control, balance, and reflexes I had with 29.

I did the MSF class again before getting a bike again two years ago, mainly as my wife also wanted to learn riding and we wanted to do this together. Therefore I had some preparation and some getting back into it with a Nighthawk 250. It was pretty quick but I still had some moments on the F where I wished I had a been on a smaller bike for a while longer. That's long over now, but it was there. Wasn't a smart move on my side and I was lucky at least one time where more could have happened - and in reality nothing happened other then me getting a big scary moment.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #239
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I just wanted to post a couple pictures and mention how much I love this bike.

I'm still in the early break-in period, but every day I ride it, it feels a little smoother. I was actually worried about the vibes in the bars for the first few days, but it has really smoothed out.

I'm really ready to get the first service done and finally be able to get over 5,000 rpm, though!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #240
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Nice pics BSU .....

Headed to NY for a work meeting on mine in a couple days.... Should be about 750 miles over 2 days.... Route looks like I'll be able to completely avoid the interstate

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote