Originally Posted by Klink View Post

The Arrow Low Boy!
Huzzah, Herr Oberst!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #242
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Northern California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona

Last month I went on a 6 state, 13 day, 4300 mile tour. Some of it was with friends, most of it was solo. The weather was beautiful throughout. My longest day was from Laytonville to Bishop in CA: 540 miles...whew! Lake Tahoe and Mono Lake were the highlights of that day. The only challenging weather condition I encountered was when I rode close to 50 miles through a massive sand storm from Four Corners to Monument Valley. I got sand everywhere. I was able to avoid the fires and smoke that was happening in New Mexico and Arizona. All in all, I had an amazing good time. Good friends, good food, twisties, the ocean, the forest, mountains, lava and ice, wide open spaces, a little bit of solitude and great conversations with other riders on the road, I couldn't ask for more.

For me, this the perfect, do-it-all bike Now all I need to do is add some camping to my trips.
Attached Images

VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #243
vamtnman
SS Rider

Oddometer: 119
My 2012 Street Triple R

How about this guys:

vamtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #244
thirdcoaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtnman View Post
How about this guys:

Why, oh why did I start reading this thread?

Just yesterday I was satisfied with my stable of bikes, and today you had to post that pic...

She's nice!
thirdcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #245
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 203
Do I fit?

This Triple thing is all over my head. I am 6" tall, 31" inseam, does it fit me? And how's the wind protection w/ the screen fitted? I rode one two years ago but thought that I couldnt bear the highway part. I really dont remember getting cramped but I had it only for 15 minutes so it doesnt apply in reality
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #246
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaddict View Post
This Triple thing is all over my head. I am 6" tall, 31" inseam, does it fit me? And how's the wind protection w/ the screen fitted? I rode one two years ago but thought that I couldnt bear the highway part. I really dont remember getting cramped but I had it only for 15 minutes so it doesnt apply in reality
6'2 34" and yes,fits me great with the corbin seat.

No idea on the screen - I don't have one.
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 AM   #247
peteandheidi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
first ride on the new street triple...had all of about 300kms on it at this point.
Suspension is pretty firm . Needs some time spent adjusting clickers otherwise is good to go...

peteandheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #248
mcteague
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Just had a Penske 8983 rear shock installed on my standard Street. When I bought the bike no one had the R in stock and the dealer dropped $600 off the price. So, as it was already $700 less than the R, I figured I had some cash to put into suspension that would be better than the R. I've only had one ride on the bike after getting the Penske but it feels far more planted and I never thought the ride was bad before. The stock shock did kick back really hard on bad pavement and would feel very vague over uneven sections. I may still need to adjust the clickers but the whole bike feels more connected to the road.

Once I get used to it I may look into upgrading the forks. As stock, they seem much better than the rear unit, and I only weigh 160 lbs. Rear preload was set to 30mm by the suspension guru so I had him check the forks, sag is 45mm. Some say to get a used Daytona fork but I am thinking of just new springs and oil or, after a while, maybe going whole hog for a Traxxion AK20 setup. I'm not going to track the bike but love it otherwise and figure it deserves top notch suspension. Thoughts?

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #249
vamtnman
SS Rider

Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VixObs View Post
Last month I went on a 6 state, 13 day, 4300 mile tour. Some of it was with friends, most of it was solo. The weather was beautiful throughout. My longest day was from Laytonville to Bishop in CA: 540 miles...whew! Lake Tahoe and Mono Lake were the highlights of that day. The only challenging weather condition I encountered was when I rode close to 50 miles through a massive sand storm from Four Corners to Monument Valley. I got sand everywhere. I was able to avoid the fires and smoke that was happening in New Mexico and Arizona. All in all, I had an amazing good time. Good friends, good food, twisties, the ocean, the forest, mountains, lava and ice, wide open spaces, a little bit of solitude and great conversations with other riders on the road, I couldn't ask for more.

For me, this the perfect, do-it-all bike Now all I need to do is add some camping to my trips.
What kind of luggage did you use; from the picture, it looks like you packed pretty light for such a long trip?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #250
Jccc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
How about this guys:

Stunning! Congrats!

HV Tag-o-Rama Grab Map
Jccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #251
vamtnman
SS Rider

First Service 2012 STR

Took my bike in for the 500 mile service today. Tomorrow, will be my first full week with the bike.
It has to be illegal for a bike to be this much fun!

Does anyone know if the TOR slip-ons save any weight?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #252
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Just had a Penske 8983 rear shock installed on my standard Street. When I bought the bike no one had the R in stock and the dealer dropped $600 off the price. So, as it was already $700 less than the R, I figured I had some cash to put into suspension that would be better than the R. I've only had one ride on the bike after getting the Penske but it feels far more planted and I never thought the ride was bad before. The stock shock did kick back really hard on bad pavement and would feel very vague over uneven sections. I may still need to adjust the clickers but the whole bike feels more connected to the road.

Once I get used to it I may look into upgrading the forks. As stock, they seem much better than the rear unit, and I only weigh 160 lbs. Rear preload was set to 30mm by the suspension guru so I had him check the forks, sag is 45mm. Some say to get a used Daytona fork but I am thinking of just new springs and oil or, after a while, maybe going whole hog for a Traxxion AK20 setup. I'm not going to track the bike but love it otherwise and figure it deserves top notch suspension. Thoughts?

Tim
I too have the Penske 8983 (remote res). I have the rebound and compression settings right in the middle, with 25mm of sag. I'm not experienced or skilled enough to know how to micro-adjust it from there (Traxxion Dynamics built it, and said to start with those settings). It serves me fine as-is. I weigh 215 right now, and I can't outride the Standard forks yet. I have rode with enough folks to know that I can ride it pretty hard when wanting to. Way too much is made of "needing" to upgrade the forks, you would have to really ride the Striple like a madman if you "needed" to upgrade. To be honest, it's way more a bling factor, and there's nothing wrong with that. At 160 pounds, and not putting it on the track, I think you should save your money for something else. Now if you ride on a lot of crappy roads, the upgraded forks would help there. The Penske we have is overkill for a non-track bike, lol.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #253
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 840
Triumph Logo change

They should not have messed with the Triumph tank logo IMHO!
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #254
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
What kind of luggage did you use; from the picture, it looks like you packed pretty light for such a long trip?
I use the Kriega US40 and a Triumph tank bag. I also have a hydration pack that I wear. I figure if I can pack for three days, I can pack for three weeks. Trust me, if I had more room, I would bring more stuff. I have enough room for 3-4 sets of underwear, a pair of jeans, sneakers, shorts, toiletries, sandals, a couple t-shirts, first aid kit, some basic tools, rain gear/gloves, layers depending on the weather and terrain, and a few other things I can't think of right now. I wear Motoport gear and if it gets particularly funky smelling I can wash it at a laundromat. Most of the basic clothing I can wash in the hotel room. When I start camping I'll have to add one more bag on top of the Kriega for my sleeping bag and such.
VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #255
mcteague
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrog View Post
I too have the Penske 8983 (remote res). I have the rebound and compression settings right in the middle, with 25mm of sag. I'm not experienced or skilled enough to know how to micro-adjust it from there (Traxxion Dynamics built it, and said to start with those settings). It serves me fine as-is. I weigh 215 right now, and I can't outride the Standard forks yet. I have rode with enough folks to know that I can ride it pretty hard when wanting to. Way too much is made of "needing" to upgrade the forks, you would have to really ride the Striple like a madman if you "needed" to upgrade. To be honest, it's way more a bling factor, and there's nothing wrong with that. At 160 pounds, and not putting it on the track, I think you should save your money for something else. Now if you ride on a lot of crappy roads, the upgraded forks would help there. The Penske we have is overkill for a non-track bike, lol.
When I mentioned to the suspension tech that the shock still felt a bit hard over sharp bumps he suggested I back of the compression two clicks. I did that and cannot believe how much better it became. The bike no longer kicks hard over pavement heaves and such but still rails the corners.

What I did not expect was real improvement on smooth roads. For instance, on late apex turns I would often feel a bit unsure when turning in quickly at the last second. I just figured I was getting nervous near the edge of the road. With the Penske it feels completely natural. So, there must have been some sense of instability or traction loss that is no longer there. Even the fork seems to work better. I was told by an ex-racer that bad behavior from the shock can make the fork work harder and show it's limits more readily. Now that the back end is under control the fork has less to do and does it better. Pretty cool.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote