User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #256
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 840
Hard to find a new STReet

I went to the dealer today and they had no Street Triples in stock.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #257
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Rode the Street Triple 'R' this afternoon, complete w/Arrow exhaust.

Loved it! Suspension and brakes.... sweeeet!
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #258
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,131
Question Looking at a street triple...

I've got a Buell Ulysses and a Kawi Versys. We had a baby so now I'm going to have a single bike. I love the power and sound of the buell but I love the flick-ability of the versys.

I think selling both and getting a Street Triple might do the trick. BUT first I've got some questions.

1) How low are those bars? I've got a bad back and the Buell's bars are borderline.

2) How far can you go on a tank of gas?

3) Is the street triple "flick-able" ?

4) Any experience on dirt / gravel ? (I live out in the sticks!)

5) How painful is it to hit a bump at highway speeds on these things ? (everyone talks about great handling so I imagine that it doesn't exactly float over bumps)

Thanks!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 AM   #259
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 458
My thoughts in answer to your questions:

1. The reach is far from extreme, nothing like a sportbike, but it is slightly forward. The motorcycle ergonomics site shows the Buell forward lean at 8 degrees and the Triple at 11. You really should demo one to be certain how it works for you.

2. Fuel range depends on how I am riding; I have seen the fuel light come on as early as 125 miles or as far as 155 or so.

3. The Triple handles very well. When I ride my Tiger 800, navigating twisty roads seems "effortless." When I ride the Triple, it always seems to be saying to me, "Is that all you've got, because I can do so much more!" It far exceeds my skills and is an absolute blast to ride in the twisties.

4. I live on a gravel drive, but that is all the gravel I have navigated on the bike. It does that fine of course, but not the type of bike/tires I would choose for gravel. If you are just riding to get back and forth to your home, I would not worry about it; if you are purposely wanting to navigate gravel roads, I would consider something else. This is a street bike; that is where it shines.

5. Highway bumps are just like you would expect...rough. At 150 lbs, if I get caught off guard, I get bumped off the seat! I have traveled 500 interstate miles on the bike before and you just have to watch the road and you are fine. Certainly not where the bike excels though.

I would have to be desperate to sell my Triple. I love this thing, and I have a long history of dozens of very nice bikes to compare it to. When I had a 1200GS in the garage next to it I never had to think about what I was going to ride. The Beemer collected dust right up until I got rid of it. I replaced it with a Tiger 800. Now the decision is a bit tougher!

Shep
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #260
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,131
Talking Thanks Shep

Thank you for answering my questions! I had considered the Tiger 800 but from the reviews I read it isn't as sporty as I'd like. I'm gonna have to think about this Street Triple...

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #261
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa View Post
I went to the dealer today and they had no Street Triples in stock.
El Dorado Cycle, in Eldorado Springs Missouri has a red and a black/gold one on the floor, saw them Wednesday. It's not that far a drive for you and the dealership is great!
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #262
vamtnman
SS Rider

Oddometer: 119
Sreet Triple

Don't think about it, just do it!

It'll be the best fun you've ever had on two wheels.

Read what Mark Hoyer said about it in the September issue of "Cycle World": "This is one of the finest sporting all around motorcycles ever made."
vamtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #263
Shep
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Thank you for answering my questions! I had considered the Tiger 800 but from the reviews I read it isn't as sporty as I'd like. I'm gonna have to think about this Street Triple...
Well, the Tiger is not the Street Triple, but I have no complaints as to its handling. In fact, I think it handles quite well and the motor, while not delivering the same punch as the Triple, is no slouch either. I have the street model Tiger.

Shep
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #264
cug

Oddometer: 4,178
Shep, how would you compare the two bikes? I'd love to add a bike with the Triumph Triple to the stable and I'm looking at the Street Triple (a bit tight for my 34" inseam, quite sporty position for my taste - I'm getting older) or the Tiger 800.

I know both have their up and downsides, but how would you characterize them? I love smooth engines (took me quite long to get used to the boxer), love stable and settled handling, don't like tubed tires, like a comfortable position. I like my GS, just thinking it would be cool to add something lighter for fun rides that could still end up being 800 mile weekend trips.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #265
Shep
Vagabond

Well, I traded my GS for the Tiger. It is the 2nd GS I have had. I am also getting older, as I turn 51 in a couple weeks. I am a small guy, 5’ 5” with a 29” inseam. I can’t really say how you will fit the Street Triple, although I can tell you that when riding a 400-500 mile day on mine I do occasionally find myself wishing for a way to stretch my legs a bit. I am fairly decent at the endurance aspect though (I think childhood vacations riding with my father left me with no choice!), so I just stretch a bit and go on.

Both engines produce a smooth response, with the Street Triple offering a more abrupt reaction to an unmeasured twist of the wrist. If you ride it hard, it can be a nasty little thing…in a good way! The engines share many of the same characteristics, however, they are tuned differently. The Street has a redline near 14k and seems to really come on strong around 7k and upward. The Tiger’s redline is 10k and although I am still breaking mine in, I have noticed the power seems to find its sweet spot beginning at about 5,500 to 8,000 or so. Either bike will lug along, but the Tiger seems very willing to pull from low rpm in nearly any gear. I do have Arrows on both bikes.

They are both stable machines, with the Tiger feeling a bit more deliberate and planted, probably due to geometry differences. The Triple is just fantastic to ride and while I would say it is more “dedicated” to sport riding than the Tiger, it really can do anything. I have strapped Kriegas to the back seat and travelled to the Blue Ridge on it, while the gangly old GS sat in the garage. As I get older, I find myself enjoying smaller bikes with less plastic and smaller windshields much more than the larger sport touring machines, of which I have owned or ridden nearly all of them at one time or another.

If you are going to sell the GS, I think you would probably like the Tiger better than the Street as a replacement. At first, I did not think the Tiger turned in as quick as the GS, but I have since changed my mind over the past few days of riding. That, or I have just gotten used to its feel. It does feel very stable and planted, something you are looking for. The street model does not have tubed tires. Actually, I would go as far as to say the Tiger might be just what you are looking for, because it sounds like we were looking for the same thing…an Adventure style ride that offers a more compact feel than the larger bikes, able to travel distance but still be fun when the roads turn tight, all while not feeling like such a handful. It is also roomier and allows for more position changes than the Street. Very similar to your GS in that respect. However, if you are keeping the GS, then you should give the Street Triple a serious look because the Tiger is too similar and would probably cause you GS to collect dust!

If I were forced to sell one bike today I would be in big trouble. I would have to toss a coin! Actually, I know the Tiger is the more versatile of the two, but the Street is so much fun! Plus, it was a gift from my wife on my 50th birthday, so it’s not going anywhere! I feel very lucky to have these two bikes in my garage. The only problem is deciding which one to ride…so today I rode them both!

Shep
Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #266
cug

Many thanks for the comparison! This gives a really nice comparison. Btw: how do the engines compare in smoothness?

I'm not looking at replacing the GS. It's an amazing touring machine - comfort, speed, weather protection, luggage, maintenance free, pretty much all top notch. I love that bike.

There is just an itch for something that is different enough and has a triple engine. The road cat might not be different enough, the XC might (though I don't like the tubed tires, just personal preference). With the Street Triple I really just miss the ABS and potentially creature comfort. I'm 6' even with 34" inseam.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #267
Shep
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Many thanks for the comparison! This gives a really nice comparison. Btw: how do the engines compare in smoothness?

I'm not looking at replacing the GS. It's an amazing touring machine - comfort, speed, weather protection, luggage, maintenance free, pretty much all top notch. I love that bike.

There is just an itch for something that is different enough and has a triple engine. The road cat might not be different enough, the XC might (though I don't like the tubed tires, just personal preference). With the Street Triple I really just miss the ABS and potentially creature comfort. I'm 6' even with 34" inseam.
With the exception of the Street Triple being a bit higher strung and more abrupt in throttle response, they are very similar. Both deliver what I would consider a smooth response. The engine is one of the things that drew me to the Street Triple in the first place. The Tiger does not disappoint me in that regard either; it is like an old friend who has relaxed just a bit with age. The power comes on a bit more like a sport bike on the Street Triple than the Tiger, but both have a different feel than your Boxer, which I would call much more relaxed.

Since you are keeping the GS, then if the ergonomics of the Street Triple work for you, I would go in that direction, as it is worlds apart from the Beemer. The only way to know for sure is to find one and take a spin.

Shep
Old 08-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #268
cug

So, I tried the ergonomics on a 2011 Speed Triple (there was no Street Triple at the dealership) and it's not too bad. But what I didn't like about it was the strangely limited steering radius. Even the Tiger has a somewhat limited radius compared to the GS - this pig can turn on a dime, it's amazing.

About two months ago I tested a Tiger 800 and I hit the steering stop when trying to get off the parking lot at the dealer. That was kind of a turn down. Not a big problem, need to get used to it.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #269
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
So, I tried the ergonomics on a 2011 Speed Triple (there was no Street Triple at the dealership) and it's not too bad. But what I didn't like about it was the strangely limited steering radius. Even the Tiger has a somewhat limited radius compared to the GS - this pig can turn on a dime, it's amazing.

About two months ago I tested a Tiger 800 and I hit the steering stop when trying to get off the parking lot at the dealer. That was kind of a turn down. Not a big problem, need to get used to it.
This is definitely true - the steering stops are there really early, so you have to get used to it at low speeds.
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #270
Shep
Vagabond

The limited turning radius is more of a pain for me when maneuvering the bike in the garage or parking lot. Once its moving, its not a problem, that or I have just gotten used to it. My Monster was the same way.

I think one of the most significant differences you will notice between your GS and something like the Street is that the GS places your body somewhere in the "middle" of the machine, where the Street Triple puts you much more up front, making you feel very engaged in the action. I liken it to riding the front car of a roller coaster...nothing in front of you but asphalt! There are many other differences, but that is what makes it a sweet combination of machines to own. They both offer their own unique experience.

My dealer told me they can't seem to keep Street Triples or Scramblers in the shop...a nice problem to have in this point in history.

Shep