User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #346
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 449
Tiger vs. Striple

Excellent... Glad you decided to post. Important to hear from folks with my dimensions. Thanks very much for hitting each point for me. I think to cure anything more than a few days the "Sargent" seat seems to do the trick. Hoping to hear from some folks who have them. Good to hear your comments affirming the joy. I love my Tiger but won't miss it when in the twisties especially the tight ones as the weight is so much different on the Strip. Can only have one, hence all the questions...

Do you find the "nakedness" fatigueing for any length of time above say 75? I know the clean air thru the helmet is a god send compared to being behind most screens but wondering how much the "fly" takes off your chest and how the wind comes into play with the helmet?

Looking forward to more comments,
Thanks again for you comments...
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #347
pfarrell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
+1 kreiga bags (use them on my triple r)
+1 Sargent seat -- huge improvement over stock (5'9", 165 lbs)
+1 flyscreen (no visor—don't like the look) -- takes a bit of the wind off. honestly it's cleaner to ride at speed than my other bike with a "tall" windscreen. a good helmet helps (schuberth C3), and earplugs.
+ a million to keep the tiger (I don't have one, but my second bike is a BMW F650GS...for the option of more protection at speed, decent comfort at longer distances and off road potential....)

someone mentioned an RR failure. this is a know issue on the street triples, fixed with a different RR in recent years and should be fixed under warranty before that. look it up at the triumph dedicated forums: triumph675.net and triumphrat.net

the street triple r is simply superb. I enjoy both of my bikes and generally have a hard time deciding which to ride if I don't have a specific purpose in mind.....but....I dream about the triple r...

pfarrell screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 10:19 AM
pfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #348
CDTSTR
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Cool2

"Do you find the "nakedness" fatigueing for any length of time above say 75? I know the clean air thru the helmet is a god send compared to being behind most screens but wondering how much the "fly" takes off your chest and how the wind comes into play with the helmet?"

Yes, I do find that without the fairing that it does get a little tiring. Usually on the days that I play above the speeds of 85, ii is for only that day and not for a multiple of days. For me, I bought the "Fly" for how it look, not for it's function. Because frankly, it really doesn't cut down on the wind. If you tuck like a sportbike, that seems to work better. There is always a constant push on your chest which seems to lengthen your arms if you stay upright above the 85 mph mark.

I will also add that my girlfriend has a Street Triple. She put the flyscreen and the windscreen on and says that it helps. But she is only 5' 5" and obviously doesn't have the same size to push thru the wind.

I hope that all this helps with your decision to buy the STR.

CDTSTR screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 09:59 PM Reason: OOPS
CDTSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #349
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 582
Who needs a Tiger to go off road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PBsH...layer_embedded#!
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #350
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
I love being reminded how bad a rider I am. That was great.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #351
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
Only comment from my wife: "F****** idiot damaging a nice forest and being loud and obnoxious - while thinking he's cool. What an ass." Yeah, she's always straight to the point ...

I kind of agree although I can certainly see the riding skills. Not jealous. I enjoy riding where I leave less of a footprint. As a hiker - I don't like behavior like that. As a motorcyclist I think he damages our image with "normal people" but I can understand how he's having fun.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #352
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
ug, someone beat me to it

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 09:08 AM
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #353
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
I love being reminded how bad a rider I am. That was great.
yea kinda makes me want one though. like a more modern scrambler :P
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #354
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
+1 kreiga bags (use them on my triple r)
+1 Sargent seat -- huge improvement over stock (5'9", 165 lbs)
+1 flyscreen (no visor—don't like the look) -- takes a bit of the wind off. honestly it's cleaner to ride at speed than my other bike with a "tall" windscreen. a good helmet helps (schuberth C3), and earplugs.
+ a million to keep the tiger (I don't have one, but my second bike is a BMW F650GS...for the option of more protection at speed, decent comfort at longer distances and off road potential....)

someone mentioned an RR failure. this is a know issue on the street triples, fixed with a different RR in recent years and should be fixed under warranty before that. look it up at the triumph dedicated forums: triumph675.net and triumphrat.net

the street triple r is simply superb. I enjoy both of my bikes and generally have a hard time deciding which to ride if I don't have a specific purpose in mind.....but....I dream about the triple r...
I have a Tiger 800 & a Street Triple R. I find that I ride the Street Triple more often than the Tiger. At 5'5" it fits me well. I have the flyscreen and visor and I get very nice, clean airflow. I have taken it on multiple day trips and even spend a day on the Interstate at speed with no problem. I use the Kreiga bags as well. I like the Hepco C Bow system too and was going to install it for trips but with the aftermarket high Arrow cans it is not compatible. The Street Triple R is one of the most enjoyable and versatile bikes I ever owned.

Shep
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #355
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
I have a Tiger 800 & a Street Triple R. I find that I ride the Street Triple more often than the Tiger. At 5'5" it fits me well. I have the flyscreen and visor and I get very nice, clean airflow. I have taken it on multiple day trips and even spend a day on the Interstate at speed with no problem. I use the Kreiga bags as well. I like the Hepco C Bow system too and was going to install it for trips but with the aftermarket high Arrow cans it is not compatible. The Street Triple R is one of the most enjoyable and versatile bikes I ever owned.

Shep
Same here, own both a STR and T800Road. But I use the 800 more, did the same kilometers in one year with 800 as I did with the STR in 2 years. Sooner or later one of them has got to go. The mind says keep the 800, the heart says keep the STR. The 800 is very good bike but a bit bland, the STR is just fun fun fun. Luckily it will not be before 2014 when I have to decide (=the new 1190-1290 KTM)
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #356
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototifosi View Post
Excellent... Glad you decided to post. Important to hear from folks with my dimensions. Thanks very much for hitting each point for me. I think to cure anything more than a few days the "Sargent" seat seems to do the trick. Hoping to hear from some folks who have them. Good to hear your comments affirming the joy. I love my Tiger but won't miss it when in the twisties especially the tight ones as the weight is so much different on the Strip. Can only have one, hence all the questions...

Do you find the "nakedness" fatigueing for any length of time above say 75? I know the clean air thru the helmet is a god send compared to being behind most screens but wondering how much the "fly" takes off your chest and how the wind comes into play with the helmet?

Looking forward to more comments,
Thanks again for you comments...
You can't go wrong with getting a Street Triple I have just over 57k on my '09. It's a very versatile bike. I've done multi-week/state touring on it. I prefer 200-400 miles days. My longest day being close to 600 miles. I regularly commute 115 miles round-trip in So Cal. I have the fly screen and visor combo and it works great for me (I'm 5'4" with 29 1/2" inseam). I did notice a difference when I rode without them so it just depends on your stature and how and where the wind hits you.

I didn't go the Sargent route but I did get my seat modified by Spencer (http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php) It was all that I needed for all day comfort. I'd imagine you could modify the seat, Sargent or otherwise, to make it taller so that your legs won't feel too cramped.

As far as luggage goes, I use a Triumph tank bag and a Kriega US40 when I travel. I haven't felt the need for more storage space even for light camping. On my last trip I rode to Baja Mexico for four days. I'll add other bikes to the stable but I'll always keep my Street Triple. It's just too much fun and a perfect fit for me, feels like home.

I've never traveled on a bike with a full fairing so I don't have that to compare it to. It's naked so you can expect it to have a different feel and ride experience than other bikes. There's always a tradeoff. I noticed that my friend on her Goldwing feels the effects of side and cross winds more than I do since she has a larger profile. With heavy head winds I just tuck in. I don't ride my Street Triple over 80 mph for any extended period of time so that hasn't been an issue. I stop every 1-2 hours anyway depending on the type of riding I'm doing and how often I want to take pictures. I recently picked up a Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans. A bit on the tall side for me (seat soon to be modified). It's half fairing does make higher highway speeds less discernible yet it's still naked enough for my liking

Oh, and I haven't experienced the RR issue with my Street Triple. For tires I've been using the Dunlap Q2's and get around 11k on the rear.
VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #357
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
Same here, own both a STR and T800Road. But I use the 800 more, did the same kilometers in one year with 800 as I did with the STR in 2 years. Sooner or later one of them has got to go. The mind says keep the 800, the heart says keep the STR. The 800 is very good bike but a bit bland, the STR is just fun fun fun. Luckily it will not be before 2014 when I have to decide (=the new 1190-1290 KTM)
I think you summed my feelings up very well; the Tiger is very good and very easy to ride, just a bit lackluster maybe. The STR is invigorating. Yes, the 800 is more practical, but the STR is a keeper for me. Not only do I love mine, it was a 50th birthday gift from my wife!

Shep
Old 04-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #358
sebastianp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Test rode one, had a bunch of fun on it -- enough to make me giggle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnHwff9va-A
sebastianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #359
aCab
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I've always wanted one of these...need to see if I can get my hands on a recent R model press bike.
aCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #360
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Highest mileage tire with performance secondary to longevity?

Planning a trip for July of about 9K miles and don't wanna have to change tires along the way....

I'm kinda thinking Metz Z6? I had those on some previous much heavier BMW's and they seemed to hold up well....

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote