User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
frankz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
recumbent moped or logic malfunction

well i was up late reading about a guy who converted a honda wave 125cc to a recumbent bike with a velo shell and upped the gas mileage to 235 miles per gallon @ 80 mph
http://www.velomobiel.nl/allert/Recu...0motorbike.htm

anyhow i have a suzuki fa50 with a shredded seat and i cant stand the auto oil mixing it (tries) to do.... always way to rich or i worry about it getting to lean...

here is moped sorry about doing it with links its not wanted to let me post pics http://www.tradebit.com/usr/manuals/...50-shuttle.jpg

could a person chop the seat/tank along the angle of the frame mount the seat like the fella did for the honda wave and mount ft pegs on the front axle

i was worried about putting to much weight on the front tire but if the pegs were mounted to the axle that would at least keep leg weight off the front shocks

might not be the right forum for this kinda question but i figured id try..

my interest is not so much building an aeroshell although ive been reading up on a acrylic heat forming.. but reducing overall front area... and using a trailing edge air foil.... ill see if i can get it to post the pics i made to measure the feetpeg to sitting area
Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
frankz OP
Adventurer

http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image.../img6/glowfoto

that is moped with points drawn in measuring conventional seating and 2 diff recumbent options...

the lower seat position looks to be a tad shorter than the stock seat where as the higher position looks to be a tad longer

any thoughts
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
I suspect that just putting some sort of front fairing will improve things overall. Its just my 2 cents, but why are you starting with such a crappy mule (its rough running according to you and it is old) apart from the fact that you already own one? Running a much newer, much cleaner burning engine seems a better fit for the real investment you're making in body work. It seems like you could pull the seat frame off a Honda Ruckus really easily for a recumbent shape. The Yamaha C3 has an incredible engine to work with, though the frame might be less recumbent-friendly.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
frankz OP
Adventurer

it is just a starting point... main problem with moped now is it has an auto mix on 2stroke... easy to bypass.. just mix oil at home

im thinking making a seat would be under $20 and i have access to used plexiglass

as well as sharing the idea... if its workable...

i dont like 2 stroke of course which is the reason i very rarely ride it but chinese after market 4 strokes are cheap

i would rather lose $20 on a bad idea than hack up a $600 used 150cc moped just to find out it might be illegal due to seat height...rider height ect ect

just seems it would be a cool way to make something thats a bit diff...
just got the idea last night so... you know how those go
but ive been looking for something to do with that moped other than find excuses to ride it to keep it from sitting idle too long
also just the random fun to see if you can add more than a few mph and mpg by streamlining
Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz
...i would rather lose $20 on a bad idea than hack up a $600 used 150cc moped just to find out it might be illegal due to seat height...rider height ect ect...
That's easy enough to find out, where are you located? A few states (like VA and Maine) have minimum seats heights of 24 to 26 inches, but many have no regulations. I don't know of any that specifically regulate rider height.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
frankz OP
Adventurer

kansas... i couldnt find any laws on it

ill post pics if i hack into it... just didnt wanna wind up with something i couldnt sell or ride on the road legally.... or some other prob i havent thought of... im sure there are several

anyhow i probably shouldnt have even posted thread as it was just late night reading and thinking.... and i have yet to really look over the situation closely...
however when you chop the seat along the angle of the frame... that will make a nice place to bolt the top of the back rest on.... nice and wide to hold it stable
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
kansas... i couldnt find any laws on it

ill post pics if i hack into it... just didnt wanna wind up with something i couldnt sell or ride on the road legally.... or some other prob i havent thought of... im sure there are several

anyhow i probably shouldnt have even posted thread as it was just late night reading and thinking.... and i have yet to really look over the situation closely...
however when you chop the seat along the angle of the frame... that will make a nice place to bolt the top of the back rest on.... nice and wide to hold it stable
Don't disparage posting this thread, this is exactly the kind of thing people will likely give you advice about even before you get serious.

Anyway, I searched the Kansas Statutes and could find any specifics about motorcycle or moped seat height either. So you should be good to go. Maybe don't go crazy (12 inch seat or such) and you'll likely never have to worry about getting hassled by an ignorant cop.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
frankz OP
Adventurer

ok this is my last post until i decide for sure to chop the seat and tank area...

but it appears the material to use that is light and very cheap is coroplast

just thought id post this incase anyone else is looking at their old moped or cub thinking making a feet forward bike

http://corrugatedplastics.net/48x96_...ticSheets.html

ill have to go play with some to see whether 2mm or 4mm is better for the job....

just wanted to pass that along.....

frankz screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 11:46 AM
frankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
ok this is my last post until i decide for sure to chop the seat and tank area...

but it appears the material to use that is light and very cheap is coroplast

just thought id post this incase anyone else is looking at their old moped or cub thinking making a feet forward bike

http://corrugatedplastics.net/48x96_...ticSheets.html

ill have to go play with some to see whether 2mm or 4mm is better for the job....

just wanted to pass that along.....
I've only worked with coroplast for signs, which are flat, so I don't know how well it shapes into curves. Didn't Vetter have some problems with plastic body panels on his Freedom Machine made from a Honda Elite?

You might find more here:
http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470...20Fairing.html
Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Cosmic_Jumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Check out the Feet Forward site & links

http://www.bikeweb.com/

Tim
Cosmic_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 AM   #11
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
I've only worked with coroplast for signs, which are flat, so I don't know how well it shapes into curves. Didn't Vetter have some problems with plastic body panels on his Freedom Machine made from a Honda Elite?

You might find more here:
http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470...20Fairing.html

these guys:

http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/

have done a lot of stuff using coro to make R/C airplane wings and fuselages, but i don't think they've done much bending along the length.

i dinked with the stuff a bit and it's awfully stiff. by cutting out the ribs you can make a wing pretty easy as well as the fuse but trying to bend it against the ribs is real problem.
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #12
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,744
they is a whole feetforward yahoo group that can help you out. Just google it. More then one guy has done something like that .
Old 08-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
mac66
Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Thread is really interesting. I looked at the Vetter site and he seems to be behind the curve compared to the feet forward crowd.

I then read some of the other threads including several about the Ruckus. It hit me like a bolt out of the blue. (I just read one of the about responses about using a Ruckus) Those guys who lower and stretch the Ruckus have got a perfect platform for a feet forward/recumbent streamlined scooter. Throw a bigger GY6 engine in it and you would have a pretty cool aerodynamic cruiser.
3/CT90s
Honda Spree

mac66 screwed with this post 09-01-2010 at 11:05 AM
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,744
In someways crags is a genus in other no. As H Ford said in court 1915 or so when getting sued." No I don't know that or that but I can always pic up the phone and get someone to find out what I need to know. Crag a great guy.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
mac66
Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
My state (Michigan) does not have a minimum seat height but it does have maximum handlebar height. The handle bars cannot be more than 15" above the seat. I've never seen it enforced. One need only to go to one bike rally to see some of the "ape hangers" that guys put on their choppers.

The point is, if you lower the seat you may inadvertently violate the handle bar height requirement. I suspect that other states have similar worded regulations.
3/CT90s
Honda Spree
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote