User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
BSUCardinalfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Milwaukee to Wildcat Mountain and back

A good buddy (gtv630 on svrider.com) and I did a 485 mile, 13 hour ride on Saturday from my home in Franklin to Wildcat Mountain State Park and back.
Up until this point, I had only ridden about 1700 miles total, and no more than 125 or so in one day, so this was a HUGE trip!
The bikes: We both have 2003 SVs. Mine is a mostly stock naked except for a fender eliminator, exhaust, and frame sliders. His is the current SV of the month on SVRider.com, and he just recently completed the HOK custom paintjob hiimself.
Our route: This map details the route we took. I plotted the route on google maps, basically just picking what looked like interesting roads. I did use a book called "Sunday Rides in Southern Wisconsin" as a resource, and I also got some suggestions from Cannonshot here on ADVRider.com. Overall, I think we had some great roads. We had to turn back twice, once because a road ended up being gravel, and once because of the flood pictured below.

We left my house at 6:15 am and took the freeway over to Madison, and had breakfast at Hardee's. (action shots are from gtv630's GoPro HD)

After breakfast, our first gas stop was in Lodi, where we did NOT get stuck. (although he tried...it was very wet down by the sign.)

We took 60 from Lodi over to Prairie du Sac, and picked up Pf on the way to Natural Bridge State Park.

Pf was a pretty nice road and a good warmup for what was to come. It also came with neat scenery, these natural rock formations were spotted pretty frequently.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
BSUCardinalfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Natural Bridge State Park was our first destination after breakfast. It was completely deserted! After parking the bikes, a quick hike up the hill brought us to the Natural Bridge. It ended up being larger and more impressive than we had expected!

The entire formation is sandstone, and it was covered in carvings. We found a small stone and made a little SV momento ;D
Closeup:

After swatting away about a million mosquitos, we were back on the road. Our next turn off was a road called Skyline Drive, which turned to gravel about a mile in. We made it about half a mile before deciding to turn back and re-routing around that section.
Eventually we took 23 south to Gg, then N over to 58. Somewhere along here a bee flew into Andy's boot and stung him repeatedly!
N was a nice road with some good terrain.

We took some back road off of 58 over to 80, then detoured off of 80 on C to the town of Yuba, population 91. That was a VERY odd feeling little town. C, however, was GREAT. For the most part freshly paved, and curvy.
Back on 80 we headed up to Hillsboro for lunch at Subway and a photo op at the most traditional of Wisconsin establishments (well, maybe after a tavern.)

After lunch it was a shot across 33 to Wildcat Mountain. Not a lot of pictures here, but gtv630 has a few great videos of runs across the park. I need to get youtube links added here for those. We ended up making 3 runs over the 'mountain' (and annoying one park ranger in the process) before heading south on 131, and toward home.
131 was a fast, flowing, scenic highway right up until the point that it wasn't :(
Old 08-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
BSUCardinalfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So began our second detour of the day! Luckily I had hard-wired a 12v power outlet, and had the GPS handy. We ended up taking 82 over to Viroqua, got gas and had a snack, and then took 61 south, eventually re-joining our original route.
Near the river we took 60 east and back toward home. Running along the river, 60 had some very nice sections.

We made another rest stop and were SWARMED by Mosquitos. (at this point, backs, knees, and more were starting to hurt a bit!)

Running along 60 we came across this:

It seemed to be a combination farmer's market, petting zoo, putt-putt course, and more. Somewhat strange.
At this point we switched bikes for a few miles, and it was actually nice to ride the S with the more aggressive riding position. Our next stop was in Spring Green at Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin.

From there, it is just a short jaunt over to The House on The Rock. Here is a shot of the Infinity Room from a scenic overlook on 23.

The house on the rock was cool, and both it and Taliesin will have to be re-visited when we have more time and maybe aren't covered with bug guts!
After that, we took 23 down to Dodgeville, then basically ran the four lane highways and freeways back to Milwaukee. The last couple hours were BRUTAL, physically and boring mentally.
It was a great trip and could not have been any more fun. The bikes were flawless, no close calls (there was one turkey that I thought might be a problem) and plenty of adventure.
Stay tuned for a few videos. Wildcat Mountain is no Tail of the Dragon, but it is a pretty fun stretch of road, and I highly recommend it for anyone up in this area.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
I just rode a lot of that route a week or so ago on my way back from Rockerbox. The Hwy 33 run from Baraboo to La Crosse is wonderful and roads were great. Flooding occurred on Sunday/Monday. Just a few days after passing through.

Saw the haybale tractor and mouse too on 60 on my way home! Wildcat put a grin on my face that I still have. Can't wait to ride through there again.

Glad you had fun...

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS 550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
LumpTheBeezu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Looks like a beautiful area! Loved all the pics (except for the graffiti one )
Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
BSUCardinalfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Shoreview
I just rode a lot of that route a week or so ago on my way back from Rockerbox. The Hwy 33 run from Baraboo to La Crosse is wonderful and roads were great.
I was surprised at how great the roads were, actually. I've only lived in Wisconsin for a short while, and the state surprises me quite a bit!