User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,538
Evoluzione install still no clutch

Installed the Evoluzione clutch slave, but the clutch still doesn't engage. On center stand, clutch in, first gear- wheel spins. Put her into second gear, stall. Drained and bled the system well, clutch lever has good feel. Clutch plates in spec. Let the bike warm up to make sure the oil is in there and nice and warm. A little better, second gear and up shifts easy, first gear clutch in, still spinning. Installed all the spacers (I have the later, solid pushrod, my bike is a 2005.5) still no good. Was going to take a 3 day weekend out to the Nevada desert.... my Beemer riding hubby quips -KTM Kabosh Trip on Motorcycle. Help!

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
thugdog
Druid Revisionist

Oddometer: 396
Question

Poke clean your oil jet lately?

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
If this is all happening on the center stand, put the bike on the ground and try again. It sounds like you got the Evo unit installed right, but most bikes will have enough clutch drag to spin the wheel with the clutch pulled in when on the center stand.

If the bike is on the ground and putting it into gear stalls the motor, then you have a bigger problem. Give it a try?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

BTW, I appreciate any woman who is willing to ride a 950 when her man rides a Beemer. And the Hobbes avatar is cool. I have a (in my opinion) really cool Calvin tattoo of him cutting my leg open with a bloody Skill saw over one of my surgical scars.

Don't tell Watterson. I can't afford the lawsuit.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
You've had the plates out? There's one plate that's different and the belviel (sp) spring has to be in a certain way. I got these in wrong and i think i had same problem as you.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

I took the plates out to measure wear after this problem arose. I kept them in order and put them back just the same. I have no experience with clutches and didn't want to screw anything up so I was very careful there. Didn't take any spring out except the little pressure plate ones.

Did not take her off the stand, but when I brake, she stalls. I think it got better after the shims were in. She did not stall as quickly, but still wants to pull and then stalls after a couple seconds.

Oil jet not checked, but there was oil in the clutch. I ran it briefly last night and when I opened it about a half cup or so came out.

Oh and hello Brents347! I know where the hell Truckee is and Nevada City isnt that far! My Hobbes tat is on my shoulder and he is pouncing.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,757
Some things to check

Could it be you misplaced the little pin on the pushrod? this could create all sort of troubles in disengagement. Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Arrrrrgghhhh

Did some reading last night and saw mostly easy installs. Bled the piss out of it this morning again. Got a few more bubbles. Took the shims out because I shouldn't need them. Lever feels firm, but maybe squishy. There is a resistance through the stroke, but I don't feel an obvious engagement as it reaches the handlebar. Start up, warm up, can't get it into any gear. I will open up the clutch cover after work and poke around in there. If I pull the lever with the cover off, how far should the pressure plate move out?

My Ride Reports
Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,393
I did my evo slave last week and the clutch lever does feel a little "squishy" compared to the stock setup so that's probably normal.

All I can think of is that you've still not bled it enough if the clutch wont disengage. It took me a couple of tries to get it right.

If you have a vacuum bleeder it might make it easier.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821
Bled the piss out of it this morning again.
Did you "back-bleed" as described in the Evo install instructions? If not, try it.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,105
Quote:
If I pull the lever with the cover off, how far should the pressure plate move out?
About 1cm. The splines on the outside of the clutch basket will come flush with the rest of the housing.

I'd check your bleeding again. A lot of little bubbles can cause a big difference.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Back bled it this morning. Attached bleeder bottle to bleed port on the slave, squeezed clutch lever and kept adding fluid until the bleed bottle was full. Bubble stopped at about half way but kept going to be sure.
When I bolt up the slave, it comes flush with the pushrod and is not compressed at all. It has to be compressed right? (I know, should be obvious) I just want to check everything because I know that my problem has to be something simple and obvious. I think that the pushrod must not be in all the way or something. I will take off the pressure plate tonight and re-check everything. I am really hoping to have a "D'oh" moment tonight and have everything come together ok.
Is there a diagram somewhere of the clutch stack and how that all goes together?

My Ride Reports
Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Back bled it this morning. Attached bleeder bottle to bleed port on the slave, squeezed clutch lever and kept adding fluid until the bleed bottle was full. Bubble stopped at about half way but kept going to be sure.
When I bolt up the slave, it comes flush with the pushrod and is not compressed at all. It has to be compressed right? (I know, should be obvious) I just want to check everything because I know that my problem has to be something simple and obvious. I think that the pushrod must not be in all the way or something. I will take off the pressure plate tonight and re-check everything. I am really hoping to have a "D'oh" moment tonight and have everything come together ok.
Is there a diagram somewhere of the clutch stack and how that all goes together?
#11 is that spring washer that fmfpunk mentioned
first install the washer #12, then the spring washer #11 with the open face towards you and outward ( larger diameter of the the cone shape out )
oil the disks
start with the odd friction disk #10 that has a larger inner diameter first,
then alternate the steel disks #7's with the sharp edges all facing one way (no matter which direction inward or outward)with the friction disks #8's
the last friction disk #9 gets turned one mesh past the others in the clutch outer groves

Dustodust screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 07:59 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Yes, when installing the slave must be compressed by the pushrod. I want to say that when you push the slave onto the pushrod, the slave should be gapped off the cases by about 1/8" or so. If there is no pressure on the slave when bolting it on to the motor then there is nothing for the slave to push against.

In the picture posted by dustodust, #37 is the slave piston and ball. As I recall, the ball goes on the inside of the piston and the pushrod pushes against it. Did you forget to reinstall the ball? Is it stuck in the old piston/slave unit? I have to be honest, I don't recall if the Evo even uses the ball, but it's a thought.

What year is your bike? There were some pushrod length changes over the years that could be playing a part.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 09-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Clutch does not move much.

Not the springs, I never took them out- did not even know they were there. he stack height is 52.93mm. Clutch doesn't move much, maybe a couple mm.
Did not use the ball, it doesn't come out. Evo includes spacers and I tried them to no avail. (Although clutch action improved.) My bike is a 2005.5

My Ride Reports

Hobbes950 screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 09:49 PM