Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #211
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by child
Not every day you see a street legal escalade rock crawler... unless you own one... I suppose if you were the owner of a street legal escalade rock crawler you'd probably see it daily... or at least you could.
Yeah, the reason we knew it was street legal was cuz later we saw it driving on highway 550!!

More cool pics from California Pass, very nice area. I enjoyed standing on the rocks looking at the perfectly formed glacial valley.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #212
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
We sat at the top all alone and watched this dark cloud hover over the peak of this mountain. Never passed us, must have been forming from moisture being thrust up.

Napoleon!

Racing down towards Hurricane Pass, maaaaybe we can beat the rain?

Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #213
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

One more dirty bike pic before we get to Hurricane Pass!

Chris has all the in-between pictures, the distance between California and Hurricane is very short... so short we flew by Hurricane Pass and had to turn around to get some bike shots. There was a small lookout at the pass where we could get some photos.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #214
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Chris happy as a clam, not knowing that mother nature was about to unleash her fury upon us and remind us why it is called "Hurricane" Pass.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #215
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,073
Very cool

I would definitely like to hear how you process your photos.
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #216
dct3416
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by child
Whats the best way to start up a pass? ...with a quick pee, naturally.

Great photos, looks like one hell of a time. Please tell me he's not pissing into the creek!
dct3416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #217
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA
Very cool

I would definitely like to hear how you process your photos.
Thanks RedRider! Stay tuned and I will give a quick tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct3416
Great photos, looks like one hell of a time. Please tell me he's not pissing into the creek!
Uh... isn't it more environmentally friendly since you are diluting the chemicals, I don't really know what I'm talking about . Besides you don't want to know what Chris did in the creek later that day
Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #218
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Up at the pass I get a quick picture at the sign.

Then all hell breaks loose! The wind whips up and clouds are shooting up the valley towards us and begin to dump rain. Chris and I scramble to get our rain gear on and just in time because then it starts to hail! I am standing with my back to the wind and helmet on, tilted back, to avoid hail hitting my exposed neck.

We wait about 10 minutes and the weather passes and the sun comes out. We decide to continue in our rain gear because we were getting tired of taking it off and on but of course about 15 minutes down the trail we take it off again because it's really hot.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #219
child
poop is fun

Rain, hail, wind, sunshine... the aptly named Hurricane Pass...

Arkansas 2010
Old 09-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #220
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,310
More sweet pics!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #221
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama
More sweet pics!
Thanks If you notice in that picture there is a twisty trail running down the gulch. This was not part of California Pass or Hurricane Pass and I think it is a difficult dead end (but probably fun) worth checking out if you are in the area.

Heading down the pass, we saw more cool old buildings. This one seemed to be in the final stages of decay... soon the harsh mountain terrain will reclaim this spot.

I really enjoyed these two passes and highly recommend this to any rider. Maybe after doing Imogene they seemed tame in comparison but definitely a lot of fun and very scenic.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #222
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

One the way back to Silverton the trail became fast but I did stop to take a picture of this serious road damage. The quick stream (not shown) that runs directly under this dirt bridge cause a small sink hole and hopefully no encountered it at night

Old 09-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #223
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

As we cross through Silverton I am exited to know our next route will take us over the red mountains. We had seen these mountains from Imogene and the mines from highway 550 (Million Dollar Highway) in previous rides. The good book offered us a suggestion to take US Basin 14. This proved to be one of the most scenic and introspective roads of the trip...

An abandoned mining machine on the trail...

Who's sweat and blood were spilt to use this steel. Did the miners who toiled on these mountain cliffs imagine that the tools and structures they used would endure beyond their years and strike such a cord among a certain few in a future generation?

We are in closer to the end of our journey than the beginning, I am completely disconnected from my previous life... the cube, bills, worries of family and friends are gone. Up here there is nothing and no one that can reach us. I would liken it to walking on Mars except on Mars they probably would be some asshole on the radio in your helmet asking about the soil condition.

Thank you! I give my thanks to the miners, explorers, adventurers who forged and still maintain these paths through the mountains. Now they are used for nothing but escape from the smooth world, a world without wrinkles...

Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #224
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

As we continue on the path we get a good view of the million dollar highway snaking through the mountains. We had ridden that road several times now and always looked over at the dirt paths. The poor bastards on the paved two lane road don't know what they are missing.

Soon we come to a really cool area and I quickly stop to get a picture. I think the light was just perfect when we pulled up and the clouds quickly rolled in. Chris was excited to get some pictures and made me turn around to get some riding pics in this area.

This is the view of the trail at the point we stopped to take pictures, nice trees!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #225
child
poop is fun

Oliver hates turning around, it takes about 7 hours for me to convince him to turn around so I can get a shot with the valley in the back ground. The clouds kill the light, I snap these pictures while sobbing.

I gave Oliver a hard time on this road; I kept asking if the book rated it a 0 on difficulty, it was easy easy riding. Honestly though it was one of my favorite. The conditions were just right for fast fun riding, it had just rained a smidgen making the trail perfectly grippy and it was buttery smooth dirt. Perfect conditions combined with flowing turns and elevation, oh yes oh yes oh yes, this was fun, tail out riding. (speaking of tail out... does anyone other than jeeps actually obey the speed limit on these mountain roads? I hope not)
Arkansas 2010