Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #331
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
How Steep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
I'm so jealous of this photo! You did an amazing job of capturing the trail here.
Great storytelling, too...
It's a nail biter!

And where are all the jeeps?! On this section, we had a buttload of rental jeeps in our way...
Holy Smokes that is steep. No room for mistakes thats for sure.
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #332
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA
Reading your report you seem to have the same fear of death I have and I was wondering if you could give a list of the passes from easy to hard. Not a rating but your actual over all opinion of each pass you did.

Sounds like you're talking to Oliver more than me, but I'll rate em and give an opinion anyways.

The cliffsnotes: All passes were worth it, there is not an ugly place in the mountains of Colorado. I never feared for my life and I never encountered anything technical enough that I had to psych myself up for. I know Colorado has plenty of that sorta stuff, but we didn't do it.

OK, I know you didn't want a rating, but I rated anyways, I also gave my opinion and some points on rocks/steeps/cliffs/etc. Hopefully this answers some questions. I'm sure Oliver will share his view too.

I'll rate by my pucker factor, the Chris Pucker Factor (CPF):

1 = smooth dirt road *yawn*
5 = fairly technical, medium challenge, starting to get fun
7.5 = quite technical and challenging, probably results in falls, pushing my limits
10 = impassible by me on my 640

I do lots of off road/trail riding here in Texas, I'm an OK rider, but certainly no enduro racer. I enjoy a technical climb/decent over a dirt road if I have my way. I'm always trying something a little steeper and a little scarier than I tried last time. I'm much less conservative than Oliver is and I've spent more time on the trails.

Bandora Mine:

CPF: 2

-Minor rocks, mostly solid, some loose.
-Very mild steepness
-Mild cliff action
Fairly pretty, there's an amazing water fall about half way if you're willing to hike down into the valley a smidge. The water falls through a narrow slot in the rocks, pretty dramatic; I didn't take pictures, too busy riding. Also right at the start right at camp you there's a real neat water fall that you can see from the road. If you're willing to do a little climbing (hiking boots required [ie not mx boots]) you can go up it and see more. I saw as many as 7 large steps in the falls, I'm sure there were more if you're willing to keep climbing.

If you're camping at South Mineral, do Bandora, its right there. If you're going to Clear Lake and you're too tired to hit Bandora don't loose any sleep, its pretty, but not the most epic ride. Perfect warm up to Colorado Jeep trails.

Clear Lake:

CPF: 3

-Minor rocks, mostly solid, some loose
-Mild steepness
-Mild/moderate cliff action

Very pretty, neat waterfall near the top at the switch backs, very pretty lake. Again, if you're camping at South Mineral, do this trail. If you're in the area, swing by, its pretty. Bandora and Clear Lake are right next to each other, so they're often listed together, even if you run them both, they're pretty short.

Ophir Pass:

-Minor rocks. Ophir side near the top is semi loose, but nothing to be scared of. Silverton side is simple dirt or solid rocks.
-Mild steepness
-Mild/moderate cliff action. Ophir side near the top is more cliffy, but not too bad.
Very pretty pass (like I said, everywhere in the mountains is pretty), a great intro into an actual pass.

Bolam Pass:

-Medium rockage, there’s a long moderately steep section with loose/fixed rocks. Any dual sport can do it, but you should be comfy off road with the bike moving under you.
-Mild steepness.
-Mild/Moderate cliffs near the trail, though if you do much wondering near the top of the pass, you’ll find yourself standing at the top of a pretty damn serious cliff.
Amazing^3 vista near the top of the pass. I had a blast rocketing up the aforementioned rocky climb(or decent depending on the direction).

Engineer Pass (no short cut bypassing the fun stuff):

CPF: 4

-Medium rocks & ledges- unlike Bolam, these are larger rock ledges and fixed rocks. You need some off roading experience to tackle the side closest to 550/silverton. Any dual sport can tackle this again, but you need to be comfy going slow and picking lines and staying in the throttle up ledges and such. If you’re coming from Lake City or you take the bypass, the CPF is more like 2.
-Moderate steepness in places + ledges
-Serious cliff action on the non bypass section, once you get further up its more moderate
Engineer pass is FUN FUN, especially the technical section. It’s a little crowded from rented jeeps/4 wheelers on the Lake City side, but it’s a blast. Oh! Point at the top is an amazing 360 degree view, worth seein’.

Cinnamon Pass:

-Mild rocks
-Mild steepness
-mild cliff action
I honestly don’t remember much about this pass, cept for the very top, its very very very pretty.

Imogene Pass:

CPF: 4.5

-Medium rocks & ledges- this trail is similar to the 550 side of Engineer, but longer and more spread out. Any dual sport can do this, but you should have some off roading experience. You’ll need to pick your line and be used to the bike moving under you.
-Moderate/serious steepness & ledges
-Serious cliffs early on as you climb out of the trees away from Telluride
Imogene is FUN FUN FUN, lots of technical riding, good stuff.

California Pass/Hurricane Pass:

CPF: 3

-mild rocks, some fixed, some loose
-mild/moderate steepness
-mild/moderate cliffs
These passes are very close together, I don’t recall riding these passes very well, but the tops are pretty and interesting.

US Basin/Red Mountain:

-mild rocks, mostly dirt as I remember
-mild steepness
-mild cliffs
These trails are low on the pucker factor, but amazingly flowing and great views along the whole way. Lots of mines, lots of good, highly recommended.

Black Bear Pass:

CPF: 5

-Medium rocks and ledges, similar to Imogene for 90% of the trail. 10% of the trail is very ledgy and steep. The ledges are small and manageable, but frequent and steep.
-Moderate steepness
-Moderate cliffs
The short few hundred feet ledgy/rocky section is intense, but it’s over hyped. Anyone who’s done some off road trail riding in any hilly/rocky areas should be able to handle this. The cliff at the end of the ledge section is intimidating at first, but you’d have to be a huge screw up to go off it. I’m by no means a great rider and I rode down with only a few dabs on my bike. As long as you’re able to muscle your bike around reasonably you can wiggle your way down. After the ledge section the first few switch backs are very cliffy, but if you’ve made it to the switchbacks you’re home free and already proven your self.

I hope thats helpful! If anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask!

(edit, I elaborated on the CPF scale above for more clarity)
Arkansas 2010

child screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 09:34 AM
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #333
child
poop is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon
I was wondering how do you think a KLR 650 would do on Engineer pass and Cinnamon pass. Do you think you would have to gear down? Stock might be geared a little to high. Would appreciate your opinion. Great Ride Report.
I've never riden a KLR, but I've riden with one once. I think it would do fine with stock gearing on any of the trails we rode. Gearing down wouldn't hurt, but I don't know that its needed. A KLR could tackle any of the passes we did fine. A lighter bike may do better on the more technical stuff of course, but a big V-Strom did Imogene on street tires, so get out there and ride!

People put too much stock in the 2 wheels they are (or aren't) riding me thinks.
Arkansas 2010
Old 09-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #334
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by child
Sounds like you're talking to Oliver more than me, but I'll rate em and give an opinion anyways.

The cliffsnotes: All passes were worth it, there is not an ugly place in the mountains of Colorado. I never feared for my life and I never encountered anything technical enough that I had to psych myself up for. I know Colorado has plenty of that sorta stuff, but we didn't do it.

Thanks !! That's what I'm looking for.

Oliver would you rate them the same?

Thanks to both of you for answering all the questions
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #335
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Thanks everyone for your comments I've had a few ride reports before but none with as much success as this one. I feel like our effort to document our good times paid off and we will work even harder next time! (maybe I will get a helmet cam myself with extra batteries)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
NOOOOOOoooooooo!

Oh, I'm so sad that your report is almost over.

I really looked forward to a daily dose of Colorado Passes. This has been one of my favorite RRs, ever!
Thanks Kelly! It is in no way as epic as your ride report (Please see her epic ride report !HERE! Your RR is great because I get to take "breaks" at work to enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2live
This has been a great story to read and the photos and videos are awesome. Great job, guys!

A few pages back, someone asked for a local to speak up about riding that area around October 1st timeframe and I don't recall seeing a response. Any time after about mid-August, in can start snowing up high. I have been buried here on the front range in mid-September some years and other years don't see one flake until November, you just never know. There is no way I would plan a big trip to the high country for Oct. 1 as the snow is so unpredictable. This year, there has been no snow action yet, but this has been an unusual year, weatherwise. I am taking my GS Adventure up high tomorrow and count myself lucky to be able to do so.
Thanks dude, I hope to find some more unpredictable situations... all in the adventure right? Besides, for a flatlander Texan like me snow is exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themobb
Thank You!!!

I just spent 5 hours reading this thread and couldn't stop! Beautiful pic's from that D10. The vid of the decent of BB was awesome!

Not sure at my age I could (or want) to do that at this point, but watching the video really took me there!

Oliver, you said at some point earlier you would share the cheap photo processing program you use. Did I miss it?

Also, thanks for the tracks file. I hope to explore some of the less technical spots next summer...

Again, thank you for a pleasant afternoon of reading!!!!

Lance

Thanks man! I'm glad to give back some reading time, I've spend so many hours reading, sometimes well into the night, the wonderful adventures of my peers.

I will post up my trail ratings and photo processing tips today, I finally got my computer back online after a fatal crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by child
Oliver's photo editing program is some weird old archaic non user friendly thing programmed by Russians on punch cards I think. For casual photo editing I would suggest a free program put out there by google, picasa. It is great for editing and organizing lots of pictures.

As for the editing he's doing, its just bumping the contrast and saturation to slightly unnatural levels and some cropping.
Hey! Some of us don't have fancy DSLR cameras that shoot RAW images. My preferred program is cheap and has a 30 day trial so everyone can try it . Besides I like how my pictures look even if they do exaggerate the colors just a bit (but then what TV nature show doesn't?? check your HD nature shows colors!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA
Great

I was wondering what the "steps" and black bear pass was all about. Your photos really were the best I have found and clearly showed the difficulty.

Reading your report you seem to have the same fear of death I have and I was wondering if you could give a list of the passes from easy to hard. Not a rating but your actual over all opinion of each pass you did.

Thanks

Mike
Thanks Mike! The steps sure were a doosey, I read in another recent report that someone who had done them before described them as eroded and more difficult than ever! If you go next year they may be even steeper!

Check my next post, it will be both a short and lengthy version of my trail ratings.

Quote:
I was wondering how do you think a KLR 650 would do on Engineer pass and Cinnamon pass. Do you think you would have to gear down? Stock might be geared a little to high. Would appreciate your opinion. Great Ride Report.
Long story short, heck yeah a KLR can do these passes! Don't worry about gearing, the F800 has a super tall first gear and I was fine. Just stand up, stay in the power and HANG ON (at the start of Engineer Pass).

You will have to pay special attention to your fuel system and make sure you have the right jets. Chris struggled to proceed with his fuel issues on the carbureted 640A.

Any more questions please post them up!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #336
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

OK... to start on my ratings post I will expand on Chris' post earlier in the thread.

I think his ratings are mostly dead on except I would rate the following passes slightly higher in difficulty than he indicated:
Bolam, Imogene and Black Bear.

So here is the short version of my pass ratings made easy for casual riders with some dirt experience (like me). For detailed info and overall opinion see my rating system

in the next post.

Passes that are comfortable for a 1200GS with slick tires:
Ophir
Clear Lake
Bandora Mine
Cinnamon
US Basin/Red Mountain

Passes you will want some knobbies and general rock/ledge/off road confidence or experience:
Engineer Pass
California Pass/Hurricane Pass

Passes you will want to have proficiency in rocky ledgy riding and a well sorted bike... and be able to pick it up! A good friend who is willing to help is also key unless you are a badass lone wolf rider who laughs in the face of danger. Our crazy local rider said it himself "DO NOT attempt this on a V-Strom 1000 with slick tires unless you absolutely know the limits of the bike and have been riding since the age of 5.
Imogene
Black Bear
Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #337
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Hi ya'll, I've put together a trail rating system for the passes we explored on our Colorado trip.

I've been following a ceratin thread "THREAD LINK" which debates on trail rating systems. I would like to use one of the rating systems I think is fair along with another factor of my own design.

This is the proposed rating system in the thread (thanks to JMartin for the proposal):

Terrain
T6--Requires supplemental assistance, e.g. block and tackle or extra help to steady or lift the bike into a boat.
T5--Difficult, expert off-road skills required
T4--Medium, average off-road skills required
T3--Mild, doable by someone new to dirt riding
T2--Firm, graded dirt (potentially slippery when wet)
T1--Pavement

Width
W3--Extreme, e.g. single track too narrow for a GS with boxes
W2--Medium, need to pay attention
W1--Unrestricted

Navigability
N5--Extreme likelihood of getting lost without a guide; spotty GPS coverage
N4--Confusing even with GPS
N3--Fine with GPS or maps
N2--Fine with written directions
N1--No brainer

The additional factor I want to add is scenery and I propose the following:

S5--Orgasmic, if the weather and your mood is just right you will collapse on the ground crying, it's just that good.
S4--Awesome! Don't miss this trail, you can spend many hours contemplating the terrain and snapping way too many pictures.
S3--Good stuff, you will love going through here but the 3rd or 4th time you will be trying to beat your fastest times.
S2--Typical dirt road throught he countryside, better than pavement but not exciting.
S1--Traffic Jam... Who wants to go through that again?

To begin I will go in the same order as we have posted the ride pictures.

The Bandora Mine:

Bandora Mine ride starts on page 2.

Rating:
S3--Good stuff, you will love going through here but the 3rd or 4th time you will be trying to beat your fastest times.

The Bandora Mine Trail is an out and back trail that is kind of out of the way for the casual Colorado rider. This is a great starter trail especially if you are staying in the area and want to test your bike and riding skills. At the end of the trail you are rewarded with a cool view of some mines and a pleasant valley. There are some trails in the valley but they mostly appear to be hiking or biking trails, not advisable to continue after the road fades.

Clear Lake Trail:

Clear Lake Trail starts on page 2.

S4--Awesome! Don't miss this trail, you can spend many hours contemplating the terrain and snapping way too many pictures.

Clear Lake Trail is an awesome trail where we first experienced true switchbacks and some higher elevation. The road is great and the scenery is unparalleled for a first day experience. Here is the ideal spot to test your ability to conquer the fear of heights and switchbacks. The lake at the top is gorgeous! This trail is well worth the detour from the main road if you are near Silverton. Be advised the marmots are fearce and ruthless.

Ophir Pass:

Ophir pass starts on page 4

Ophir pass is a mostly smooth road over a cool pass that is used frequently to gain access to the humble town of Ophir. The actual pass is a neat experience with an alien feel to it as you are surrounded by blasted rock. The west side of the pass (picture above) has a spectacular shelf road that makes this pass a prime candidate for getting to and from Silverton. If you have to choose a quick route to Silverton from the west go for Ophir.

Bolam Pass:

Bolam pass starts at the bottom of page 4

T3+--Mild, doable by someone new to dirt riding (hang on!!)

Bolam Pass was surprising to us. We had very low expectations when we started on this trail but I continue to reflect on the subtle challenges we faced and the overall satisfaction we experienced riding this trail. Bolam starts off very mild on either side and becomes a rocky challenge in the middle close to the unmarked (or poorly marked) pass. The scenery at the pass is amazing! This was my first "twist the throttle and hang on" pass of the whole trip and I loved it. I think this pass has something for everyone. If you are riding a huge adv bike with slick tires it will be a fun challenge and if you are on a thumper you will be grinning at the thrill of rocketing through this fun pass.

Engineer Pass:

Engineer Pass starts on page 6
T4--Medium, average off-road skills required
W2.5--Medium +, big bikes choose your line!!!
N4--Confusing even with GPS

OK, so Engineer Pass gets some high marks from me, this mostly pertains to starting from 550 and not taking the short cut from Animas Forks. If you start from 550 it is definately a T4+ with several huge ledges to naginate that are iffy on big bikes, the hard stuff is close to 550 and gets easier as you go. For big bikes it may be easier to go west to east on this pass but I still like east to west. I rated W2.5 because there are some spots where you really have to choose your line correctly or you will have problems!!!
N4 for confusing because even with GPS there are several trails very close to this one and some phantom trails. I had to use my Garmin 276C to scroll forward to make sure we were on the right trail several times, watch out if you are using only maps (this is from the 550 side only).
S4 because this was and amazing road above the tree line. PLEASE go to the west side even if you are starting from the east (I suggest going west to east here), it is AWESOME!!!

Cinnamon Pass:

Cinnamon Pass starts on page 8

This trail is surely a gem. It was a welcome relief after busting my ass on Engineer Pass and after a good lunch. The trail is lots of fun and the weather at the pass was perfect for us!!! We spent a lot of time at the top of this pass and it must be one of my favorite for relaxing. This is a MUST SEE pass from any direction.

Imogene Pass:

Imogene Pass starts on page 10
T5--Difficult, expert off-road skills required
S5--Orgasmic, if the weather and your mood is just right you will collapse on the ground crying, it's just that good.

Monkeys of fire!!! This trail is aweome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! T5 definately because you will need some ground clearance and skill to get over this comfotably (I don't think I made it comfortably but I made it!). The trail is wide in most spots but the part where you want to put your wheels may be super narrow at times so the W2 rating may be a misleader. If you really want to make it a W2 you will need good suspension to handle some serious rocks (like Chris did in his video).
The only reason this is an N3 instead of an N2 is because going down on the north side we easily took a wrong turn but quickly corrected with the GPS, the rest of the trail is easy to follow. If the weather is good you will never want to return home...

California Pass/Hurricane Pass:

Starts on page 14

These were great trails. The good book refers to these as a higher difficulty than I would rate them. There are some good cliffs and climbs but nothing too bad for bikes. On a turbulent day like we had Hurricane Pass is really trippy! These are two trails you can't miss. If you start on Califonia and go through Hurricane there are many more option for more experienced riders in the area, these are at the center of the mountain passes.

US Basin 14/Red Mountain:

These trails start at the bottom of page 15
T2--Firm, graded dirt (potentially slippery when wet)

Great trails! If you love mines DO NOT miss these (reason for S4 rating). These were easy roads even when wet and very enjoyable. The only reason for the N3 instead of N2 is the transition between US Basin 14 and Red Mountain Pass gave us pause but you can figure it out pretty easily. This would be another great beginner road for first timers in Colorado or two up, Chris and I made it more insteresting by hauling ass!!!! (You can make any road more difficult by going faster!!)

Black Bear Pass:

Black Bear Pass starts on page 18
T5+--Difficult, expert off-road skills required (especially if you have a big bike!!!)
W2+--Medium, need to pay attention (CLIFFS!)
N2--Fine with written directions

OK, so Black Bear has a super hard section that is about 300 ft long definately a T5+, bring a buddy and some common sense. Lots of cliffs on this one especially on the way down, don't be stupid like me. Once you are on the trail there is no where else to go so you only need a gps to find the start. If you want T5 scenery go to Imogene, this trail is T4 because it is has good views but is more about getting over it without getting killed.

Cheers
Old 09-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #338
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

OK... that last post took me longer than expected so I will post the image processing tomorrow. I have some pictures from my ride last weekend on my 08 Suzuki SV560SF (300 miles down and around Glen Rose TX, she was feeling lonely since I have been paying attention to the BMW) I want to show off.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #339
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Alright, lets start on picture editing tips for point and shoot cameras.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with these programs and I don't care if you like Lightroom.

So I am not one to pay an exorbitant amount of money for fancy programs which too many features. I've played around with photoshop back in the day but nothing too extensive. So when I started looking for image processing software I started on the free side.

One such free program I like is called GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). This is a program written by programers for programers. It is very technical and intesive. The purpose really is for programers to download the source code (also free) and start programming thier own stuff. I like to use this program for resizing and especially adding text to images. It uses layers much in the same way photoshop does. Check out GIMP for free!

Then I wanted to do some real photo editing but I didn't need a program that processes RAW images. From what I understand talking to Chris, Lightroom exploits the properties of a RAW image to bring out hidden features only available from the original image.

I, however, am using a point and shoot camera that creates jpg images which are already processed inside the camera.

I found a program called Picture Window Pro that is relatively inexpensive (less than a 1/3 the cost of lightroom) and best of all has a 30 day free trial version.

You can download the full version here (it is a trial for 30 days then they want a serial number from you).

I like Picture Window Pro, it reminds me of more oldschool programs back when times were good, few people had cell phones and your grandma was the only one who had a facebook.

To start, here are a couple tips on taking pictures with a point and shoot camera.

1. Always use the highest resolution possible with your camera.
2. Get a 16 gig flash card and take LOTS of pictures. The more you take the more you can choose the best one from.
3. When getting a shot and taking multiple pictures focus on different areas, focus on distance, on the bike, on the trees... you can figure out later which light setting and focus length works best for the camera in that shot.

So to use this program, here is a list IN ORDER of the commands I use on every photo. Some of these are optional and if you have a lot of pictures to process I recommend leaving those steps out since there is usually little you can do. I will expand on each step below the list.

1. Open full resolution image
2. Level
3. Crop
4. Adjust the levels and color saturation
5. (Optional) Adjust the brightness curve
6. (Optional) Adjust the color balance
7. Sharpen
8. Resize

The order of these steps is critical!

NOTE: Do not mess with the auto bars and buttons. I don't know what they all do but if you start messing with them it will affect all pictures afterwards unless you restart the program (once you touch something it goes off "auto" mode).

To start I will use a picture from my ride this weekend down around Glen Rose Texas. This image has been only resized from the original to show the original quality.

Step 1: Begin by importing the original resolution file into the program.

File>Open

Step 2: Level the image.

Transformation>Geometry>Level...

A line will appear on the picture along with a small dialoge box. You can grab the line to reposition it to an area such as the horizon or a known flat surface. Grab the ends of the line to align it with the horizon or known surface. Click OK on the dialoge box, a new image will appear and you can continue editing from the newly generated image.

A screen capture of the level feature, not the line on the horizon that I moved around.

Step 3; Crop the Image.

Transformation>Geometry>Crop/Add Border...

This one creates a box around the image, it is inially hard to see because it is on the edges. You can grab each edge seperately and position them on the image to crop it. A preview window helps you see how it will look. I like wide images so in my screen shot you can see I moved the top and bottom bars while keeping the sides the same.

Step 4: Adjust the levels and colors.

Transformation>Gray>Levels and Color...

This is a critical step in the image processing... It allows you to bring out the darks and lights and add a bit of color. In the screen show I highlighted the parts I play with. Grab the triangle markers on the "Dynamic Range" bar and bring them to 0% and 100%, the edges of the visible bar. You can play with these to see how it will look.

Then use the saturation bar at the bottom to bring out a bit more color. I have my camera set on vivid so it does a bit of saturation by itself. I find that 7.6% is my favorite for almost all pictures in addition to the "vivd" feature. If you don't have a vivid feature you may have to increase this slightly for desired effects.

Step 5: (OPTIONAL) Adjusting the brightness curve.

Transformation>Gray>Brightness...

I don't know much about the brightness curve or what the program actually does with it. If you want to play with this check it out but I just set it on auto or skip this entirely if I am in a hurry. I think the camera does a good job of already compensating for the light settings.

Step 6: (OPTIONAL) Adjusting the color balance.

Transformation>Color>Balance...

Same thing as the brightness curve... if you want to play with this try it out but I rarely find a pictures that has poor color balance with my D10.

Step 7: Sharpen

Transformation>Sharpen...

This is a critical step I use in all my images. I find the default setting of raidus 2 works great. It is important that you are still working with the full size image at this point and all the other operations are done. This will really help your image quality but don't kid yourself.. you can't bring out features that don't exist in the original.

Step 8: Resize

Transformation>Geometry>Resize...

Do this last, you can choose a whole host of options. For this ride report I made all my pictures a width of 1200 pixels. I actually used GIMP to resize them because I can do it really fast using all key commands instead of mouse clicks...

After all that is done here is the FINAL image:

Here is the ORIGINAL image shrunk to the same width for comparison

Please let me know if you have any questions! Good luck with your handy point and shoot cameras!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:12 AM   #340
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Thanks for the follow up. One suggestion. 1200 causes me to have to scroll side to side to see the pics and read the text on my 19" monitor at 1024x768. Some of us are still in the CRT age and don't have huge flat screens. Just a thought. Great RR anyhow.

John
Old 09-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #341
AndrewT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
A friend of mine rode a lot of these same passes this summer on a KLR and reports that going down one tooth to a 14 on the front sprocket let him ride at a comfortable pace at 4000 rpm in first. Look up Tourmeister's report on TWTexans.
AndrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #342
Davestr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
We did engineers from 550 2 up.

i SWEATED AND IT WAS NUTS . I am 300 she is 200 with the 990 this was a beast to do up legges with this much weight loaded. Don't think anyone should try from this side with out good skills and even then it very challenging.

Thanks for the info both of you this is awesome and really well put out and good effort in explaining really awesome.

I downloaded some JPS tracks but they were super confusing.

Thanks again

Dave
Attached Images

Wicked Dreams and quest for adventure.
Davestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #343
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Thanks for the follow up. One suggestion. 1200 causes me to have to scroll side to side to see the pics and read the text on my 19" monitor at 1024x768. Some of us are still in the CRT age and don't have huge flat screens. Just a thought. Great RR anyhow.

John

Hi John, yeah... I agonized over the size of the pictures before I started the thread, my pictures have gotten bigger over the sequential ride reports to incorporate more detail but I may go back to 1000 pixels across... Not sure yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davestr
i SWEATED AND IT WAS NUTS . I am 300 she is 200 with the 990 this was a beast to do up legges with this much weight loaded. Don't think anyone should try from this side with out good skills and even then it very challenging.

Thanks for the info both of you this is awesome and really well put out and good effort in explaining really awesome.

I downloaded some JPS tracks but they were super confusing.

Thanks again

Dave
Hey Dave! Thanks for the compliment, that looks like one wild ride!!! Two up on a huge bike from 550 must have been quite an experience. It sure gives a whole new meaning to "hang on!!!"
Old 09-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #344
child
poop is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Hi John, yeah... I agonized over the size of the pictures before I started the thread, my pictures have gotten bigger over the sequential ride reports to incorporate more detail but I may go back to 1000 pixels across... Not sure yet though.
must. resist. urge. to say. I TOLD YOU SO
Arkansas 2010
Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #345
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,699
Haha, I forgot about Engineer Pass! That's another one where I'll be sending people to your report to look at pics.
It was raining when we left Red Mountain and I didn't get many good photos.

Thanks for the photo editing stuff. You're such an engineer! All the details, I mean.
I'm lazy, but I like to read what other people do to their photos. Especially, ones with great pics (like you).

I don't know if you want to hear it now, but regarding the photos...I love your giant photos on my iMac, but it's a little harder on the macbook.
And, forget it on Frankenslime (dell 10v) I'd chuck that thing out the window before one page could load with 1200 size pics...

sorry, Oliver. Chris said something about KTMs sticking together? I use lightroom, too.

Oh, I did have a question about your Canon 10D - how's the video quality? I had been considering the 10D, but it doesn't seem to do HD video.
Also, no optical zoom? I hate digital zoom. But your photos are soooo nice...
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote