Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #481
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,674
Send me a PM if you need some petrol and some matches.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #482
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Send me a PM if you need some petrol and some matches.
Mark, I really think we need to get our stories straight here. When I said can you help me out with a light, I didn't mean....

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #483
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,454
I see what you mean by a big tank on a bike creating interest. I fitted the 17L Safari tank to the KLX400 the other nite & went for the 1st ride with it today. At the petrol station a guy was pretty impressed with it. Later on we came across a few MXers whose eyes bulged when they saw it.It drew them intolook atan otherwise pretty ordinary bike.

- I spose it's the old saying about bigger being better.

I had 3 1/2 L in it before filling& it took another 161/2 L to the top- notbad for a 17L tank. Yours would prob take about 50L all up
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:58 AM   #484
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Anyone got a spare Ignition Control Unit I can borrow to test fit?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #485
Padmei
enamoured

I don't have a spare but I can take mine off & lend it to you for a week if you want.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #486
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
Anyone got a spare Ignition Control Unit I can borrow to test fit?
i can come round to do a swap if you like
Old 08-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #487
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I see what you mean by a big tank on a bike creating interest. I spose it's the old saying about bigger being better.
So how beaten up is the tank after yesterday's ride? You'll have to post a photo.
Quote:
I don't have a spare but I can take mine off & lend it to you for a week if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
i can come round to do a swap if you like
Thanks Guys. Borrowed an ICU from Igormortis to test against, and acheived a nice fat spark. But I don't think that this is all of the issues resolved.

The story thus far:

1. The Bike had a 'hitch' in the fast lane when riding to the Rimutex, but that didn't repeat, so I couldn't diagnose;

2. The Bike stalled after Lake Ferry. I could restart, but the issue got worse, until it died completely.

Initially we checked all connector blocks. I suspect in doing so we disturbed a connector leading to ground, & this coloured later symptoms. I found the connector issue at home. The plug was still in the block, but wasn't connecting to the opposite.

3. I pulled the coil off to bench check that, and a plug lead fell off.

My Hypotheisis is that this was the initial cause of the 'chain of events'. This lead had been an issue before, & in hindsight, I should have investigated & replaced this earlier. Instead I had just pushed it back in. The lead was really too short for that sparkplug location, & wasn't a good tight fit in the coil. In this instance it had moved out sufficiently that it wasn't making good contact, but still looked 'good' from a quick visual check.

The previous owner had clear siliconed the wires into the coil, but this meant that when the leads moved they wouldn't necessarily be able to retain good contact. That area had quite a bit of copper corrosion in it - I assume when water did get in, then it wouldn't dry straight away.

4. Once the lead was only making poor / no contact, the ICU fried itself.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-06-2011 at 08:11 PM
Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #488
Padmei
enamoured

Glad to read you have diagnosed the problem.Unfortunately another long ride will be in order to make sure the problem doesn't present itself again.

My tank only sustained a few scratches from yesterday ride- manymany more to come. I actually filled it on the sidestand litre at a time then scratched some litre ,marks on one side to give me an indication of volume left.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #489
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Glad to read you have diagnosed the problem.Unfortunately another long ride will be in order to make sure the problem doesn't present itself again.
It lives again. After testing with Igormortis's ICU & getting spark, I bunged mine in again (in a fit of eternal optimism). It sparked using that as well.. I probably won't trust it fully until I've got a ride in though, & it's been through a heat cycle.

While fault checking, I noted that the connectors I had used accumulated a lot of dirt. I need to rethink those.

The wiring loom looks like Schmidtty's again, partly because I pulled things apart looking for faults. The self amalgamating tape was a great idea, but didn't really cut it in the real world (it tried to amalgamate to other things it touched, then started to make holes). I'll try again.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 03:20 AM
Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 AM   #490
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
It lives again. After testing with Igormortis's ICU & getting spark, I bunged mine in again, in a fit of eternal optimism, It sparked using that as well.

While fault checking, I noted that the connectors I had used accumulated a lot of dirt. I need to rethink those.

The wiring loom looks like Schmidtty's again, partly because I pulled things apart looking for faults. The self amalgamating tape was a great idea, but didn't really cut it in the real world (it tried to amalgamate to other things it touched, then started to make holes). I'll try again.
well done...my battery is toast i think,last rode the bike wednesday or thursday night,had to crash start it down the hill.....same this arvo,jump started from the car,battery on charge now
Old 08-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #491
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
well done...my battery is toast i think,last rode the bike wednesday or thursday night,had to crash start it down the hill.....same this arvo,jump started from the car,battery on charge now
Igormortis put a Motobatt in his. There was some discussion in the UKGSer. He seems pleased with it. Think it was smaller thabn the recommended?

Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #492
howieNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Self amalgamating tape well do that, probably need a layer of something else over it. either heat shrink, or normal insulation tape comes to mind.

in the indusrty that I'm in we use a fibreglass tape under the self amalgamating tape, then normally electriacal insulation tape over it. This is for joints on cables that run from 74v to about 1200V DC. You can get an adehisive backed fireglass tape, and just use it with electrical insulation tape over it.
howieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #493
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by howieNZ View Post
Self amalgamating tape well do that, probably need a layer of something else over it. either heat shrink, or normal insulation tape comes to mind.

in the indusrty that I'm in we use a fibreglass tape under the self amalgamating tape, then normally electriacal insulation tape over it. This is for joints on cables that run from 74v to about 1200V DC. You can get an adehisive backed fireglass tape, and just use it with electrical insulation tape over it.

Bloody annoying when you want to open it all up tho. Looking at my loom it seems there are only really a few points of contact where the cables would rub etc. Some kind of sleeving that is split lengthways with a restickable join would be a great idea.

Steve get on with the forks will ya
Old 08-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #494
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Seemingly the week of vehicle breakdowns in our household. Mandy's scooter has been the next one to suck the big kumara. We're (I'm) trying to decide tonight if this is terminal or not...

In the mean time Mandy has already picked out her next one, including what colour she wants. . How is that when I want to spent on a carefully considered bike upgrade, this is always questioned, but when...

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 10:37 PM Reason: spelling
Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 AM   #495
howieNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Bloody annoying when you want to open it all up tho. Looking at my loom it seems there are only really a few points of contact where the cables would rub etc. Some kind of sleeving that is split lengthways with a restickable join would be a great idea.
Have you seen the sprial wrap sleeveing stuff, comes in a lot of sizes and allows you to exit the loom at any point? see link to dick smith, although any electrical wholesaler should stock it. we use it from 4-50mm at work.http://dicksmith.co.nz/product/W4072...mm-spiral-wrap

Quote:
Seemingly the week of vehicle breakdowns in our household. Mandy's scooter has been the next one to suck the big kumara. We're (I'm) trying to decide tonight if this is terminal or not...

In the mean time Mandy has alsready picked out her next one, including what colour she wants. . How is that when I want to spent on a carefully considered bike upgrade, this is always questioned, but when...
your having a good time of it with vehicle's at the moment aren't you.
howieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote