Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #91
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
As I'm working on the bike..getting her ready for summer..my deepest sympathies, Hope and Prayers are for you and your family.
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:39 AM   #92
cyclefreak13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
No news. The lawyers are still working on this one, and I can't talk in depth about it.
cyclefreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #93
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Until they start caring more about saving lives and less about these old fool's feelings and get them off the road, these things will continue to happen. Some old fart's pride shouldn't be more important than a life.

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #94
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmn View Post
Until they start caring more about saving lives and less about these old fool's feelings and get them off the road, these things will continue to happen. Some old fart's pride shouldn't be more important than a life.
Wait until you are an old fart.

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #95
cyclefreak13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just hope someone is caring enough when I am an old fart to tell me its time to stop driving. In my opinion she is no better than a drunk driver, and they too seem to get a slap on the wrist.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #96
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Too Late, I AM an old fart. I meant the other old farts!

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #97
dehrhardt
n00b

Oddometer: 4
So sorry, terrible.
dehrhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #98
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,638
Your dad was the same age as I am. Hits too close to home. I feel some of your loss too. A bit late I guess but Godspeed to your dad, and I am sure somehow he will be with you on your rides.

Best wishes

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #99
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 404
I am reading old threads but see this one has recent replies.

First, I am sorry for your loss. I am almost 60 and I do hope that someone (my wife or my son) will tell me when it is time to stop driving. I don't want to hurt someone else through my actions.

I had a good friend hit and killed (co-riding with her boyfrend) a couple of years ago. They were hit from behind by a drunk while stopped at a light. He is in prison as I write this but his being in prison won't bring her back. He had multiple convictions for drunk driving and didn't have a drivers license because of his DUI's. He has expressed no remorse over killing her and paralyzing her boyfriend. If there is a hell, I hope he rots in it.

I do hope that this woman eventually sees what she has done and what she could do in the future and stop driving. I also hope that you get this resolved it the courts soon and can start putting this behind you.
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #100
BinDerSmokDat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
I plan on giving up the cage and riding the Ural as long as I have breath when I retire, so if I do something stupid as an old fart I'll only be killing one old man. And whoever is foolish enough to get in teh sidecar with me.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #101
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Sorry for your loss. It's not just old farts( I am one). I was hit the same way a few years ago by a 22 year old woman. Luckily I wasn't hurt.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #102
austruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
So very sorry for your loss.....

My dad, who is 91 now, was 83 when I had the talk with him about giving up the idea of driving. He had had a couple of minor fender benders and I knew it was just a matter of time before he had something major happen.
I agreed with me, thankfully and relented.

I was just in Tucson a couple of weeks ago and the friends we stayed with told me that her mother, who is 99, still has her driver's license and still drives!!!! A time bomb waiting to explode.

Again, my sincere condolences.
austruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #103
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,485
I had an old woman roll through a stop sign, and make a left turn in front of me this morning, right in front of me. She ended up going my direction, and was clueless that I had almost rearended her. She rolled the next stop sign too going straight. Never even hit the brakes.

I have no idea if she has a license or not, but there really needs to be mandatory testing for people over a certain age. The AARP will never let that happen though.

Not to soapbox too much, but I understand the frustration. I'm very sorry for your loss.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #104
cyclefreak13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So today is one year since my dad Tomo Cummings was killed. I tried to go about my day as normal. I feel very on edge. I went back to lurking on Advrider until a little while ago when I had my own down on the street and posted about that.

A little update as to what has been going on with this. My mom still has her days as do I. The insurance company finally settled and mom will be ok. She received less then what my father would have made if he had worked to retirement age, so she has had to cut back. This is not what I wanted for her. The lady that hit my dad got off with what amounts to less than a slap on the wrist. I'm not happy about that either but all I can hope is that she is off the road. A few people have said that I need to forgive her for what she did. I will never forgive her for Killing my father! I wish her no ill will, but will not forgive her.

My brother and I tried to do the ride that my father and I had planned. It did not turn out. I will be going it alone for that ride. Something I need to do for myself. I have this wanting to just up and leave. I have not place I want to go but this nagging want to just go. As for the ride my brother and I did, we rode part of the BRP in Virginia. We then got off of the parkway at the state line and hit the super slab and ended up in Asheville. I went to the Wheels Through Time museum and it was great. What wasn't so great was the ride home. My brother decided the pace was not fast enough for him and took the lead. I kept up to a point and then I said this is ridiculous and slowed down. Riding at 10 over the limit I couldn't keep up and was left behind. My brother is a bit older than I and we are very different people. We have not been around each other for about 16 years now. Needless to say when it comes to riding we have very different views, and I don't suspect that I will be taking another trip with him for quite some time. I have been riding solo since I started riding on the street and will just keep it that way. I haven't found any friends that I can count on as far as riding goes so this will be one thing I keep to myself.

Ok so you all don't what to hear about my personal problems so I will leave this at that. I appreciate all the comments and well wishes. Keep the rubber side down and the shinny side up.

Devin
Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #105
250txc
250TXC

Oddometer: 200
I'm really sorry to hear this on your farther ... I wish you the best for the future ...
250txc is offline   Reply With Quote