User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #166
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,993
yep!

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #167
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Back from the dead, I love Pelican's!

Pelican top box, and tank box...

With GPS

With Mini-Rok straps to dramatically increase you cargo load ( for beer or firewood), s-biner's, hyperlights, a roundel, and some dirt...

I screwed the 1510 directly into the factory tail rack.

For info on tank box look Here

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #168
John Harden
Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Pelicans on GS Adventure

Here's a link to how I mounted Pelican 1550's on my 07 GS Adventure.

Regards,

John

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303427
Old 03-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #169
Essjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Pelican 1600

Essjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #170
Sahuite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Pelicans on 12GS with ADV racks

The idea was to have a simple system that can be mounted and dismounted with one finger and no tools, lock in place overnight, or take off when you want. I wanted to take advantage of the ADV rack cam system, which is really an elegant design. Forward motion tends to lock the cases tighter in place, so if there's a fall in most cases the hold of the cases on the frame would tighten up.

Here are the pics, with some (limited) comments. The pics pretty much explain all there is to say:

Side:

Rear:

Overhead on left side (thank you John Harding):

Interior Right:

Interior Left:

Outside view:

Does it fall out when you open it???? No:

In all, a fairly workable system. Very solid over a lot of miles on varied terrain. The total cost for the hand-fabbed prototype, including the Pelicans, was about $400, which stacks up well against prices for commercial systems using Pelican cases.
Sahuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #171
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 589
Here's a cheap alternative Pelican top case mount. Sorry, I didn't find this thread til now.

Here's more pics of the install.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX screwed with this post 06-17-2009 at 08:40 PM
KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #172
Crew Dawg Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Well Done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX
Here's a cheap alternative Pelican top case mount. Sorry, I didn't find this thread til now.

Here's more pics of the install.

What an absolutely brilliant mount!!! Great idea!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Crew Dawg Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #173
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,189
1430 top loaders on my Uly XT:

Made the mounting system to fit the stock racks out of composite decking stair rail balusters.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #174
Gypsyangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Found this on another forum. Simple and easy. I love it!!

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,1936.0.html

"Eight and a half miles can be covered in minutes with a car on the expressway, but what does a man see? What he gains in time he loses in benefit to his body and his mind."
--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
Gypsyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #175
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangel
Found this on another forum. Simple and easy. I love it!!

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,1936.0.html
Very nice! I'll bet 4 brackets would be even more secure.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:04 AM   #176
Crew Dawg Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Less is more??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX
Very nice! I'll bet 4 brackets would be even more secure.
I think you would be better off using a wider bracket and just drilling one hole. Less holes stronger mounts...

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Crew Dawg Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #177
winegrower
grape crusher

Oddometer: 34
Laugh Economical Hardigg/Pelican Case Installation

First off I purchased my iM2300 Hardigg (recently bought up by Pelican ) cases from the Flashlight Outlet: www.flashlightoutlet.com. (866) 290-6345. The iM2300s were $89.95 each without foam delivered to my door. The service was excellent and it was a pleasure to do business with Larry Brown the owner who really is knowledgable about the cases.

I picked the Hardigg cases because I liked the latch system better than Pelican. Otherwise looking at them I doubt you can tell the difference. Larry said the Hardigg is solid poly plastic and the Pelican a closed cell air poly plastic which may make a difference if a stress crack develops. But who cares they are both guaranteed for life. I also chose the size that fit inside the width of my handlebars while preserving a fair volume for my needs. Both Hardigg and Pelican make a series of cases which allow selection of several different sizes all of which could be fit to the Moto-Sport mounts. It all depends on your individual needs.

My 640A had Moto-Sport racks on it when i got it so that was my starting point. I looked at their current mounts and it appears that they may have changed them a little eliminating the permanent welded nuts on the top front and rear inside. An insulated clamp around the bar could substitute if that is the fact.

While holding the case centered on the mounting bracket in the lowest possible position for best weight distribution I marked the location of the welded nuts thru the nut holes onto the case.

I selected a drill as close to the diameter of the bolt as I had and with the case lying on the work bench drilled the case. I used scrap aluminum plate 3"x4"x1/8" to fashion a backing plate for each wing bolt (a stainless hex head 8x1.25 25mm long) cutting a grove into the head of the bolt with an air driven metal cutting disc. Then welded in a long oval piece of scrap stainless to create the wing.

Between the case and the rack I placed a 2mm thick rubber washer to reduce wear on the case and for dampning and vibration loosening of the bolts. Both the rubber washer and all 3 of the interior plates were fixed in place using "Liquid Welder" a "Shoe Goo" like strong waterproof adhesive which retains some flexibility and is available at Lowe's. I was careful to surround each hole made in the case with the adhesive to reduce the possibility of water penetration.

A 1"x1"x12" bar of Delrin (local plastics folks don't work in metric and neither do my old micrometers) was purchased from a local plastics supplier and subjected to the radial arm saw cutting out a 0.675x0.750 inch section creating an angle shaped bracket which fit over the 15mm (~5/8") lower bar of the rack. I cut it in two after the saw work and used a 6" section on each case.

With the case mounted I simply fit the Delrin L bracket over the lower bar placing the thicker side of the L against the case. The bracket was predrilled for 6x1x30mm machine screws allowing marking of the places on the cases where holes would need to be drilled for permanent retention. I selected a distance between the screw holes of 90mm centered on the bracket. The Delrin was countersunk 10mmx10mm to allow a nylock nut to be held in place by a socket while the 30mm 6x1.0 stainless phillips head screw was tightened over scrap stainless support plates each 6"x1.25"x3/32" in size. I also used the Liquid Welder between the Delrin bracket and the case.

I'm thinking that if i don't want to bend the rear subframe when a case hits the ground that drilling out the wing bolts through their long axis, creating in essence threaded tubing, will allow them to shear. I'll have to get an engineer to calculate what wall thickness will be most practical based upon all the variables. Most likely I'll just leave them alone. I did fashion an extra wing bolt and carry it in the tank bag in case I drop one down a sewer or a bear eats one.

The mounts are sturdy, allow easy removal from the bike and incidently the handles make good tiedown locations as well. Spent about $15 for the bolts and nuts, $189.90 for the cases and am really pleased with the outcome. A faster quick release mechanism could be fashioned using quarter turn fittings as well.

“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”--Helen Keller

winegrower screwed with this post 12-19-2009 at 09:55 PM
winegrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #178
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,117
Pics tell the story...

The little aluminum tabs swing to catch the square tubing. They are fragile enough to bend and let the box off in a fall, but can be bent back easily

On the TAT a few years after they were made

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #179
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatcher

Nice!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #180
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,546
Here's my solution made from 1/4" ABS sheet, Hockey pucks, and window sash lock. All the locks are keyed.

I didn't design the mounts to be break away, but I have lost the cases on 2 different get offs. I still haven't figured out how the cases release themselves, but the mounts have not been damaged either time.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote