Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #181
dcwn.45
Frozen Rider

Oddometer: 753
I got a set of barely used Givi side racks for my wee, and removed the quick latch deal from the top, got some longer allen head bolts from the hardware store, and just drilled and bolted them directly on.

I used rubber washers [the kind you use in a faucet, I got a variety pack for a couple bucks, there are lots of uses for them] to seal the holes.
Simple ,cheap, secure.

I can remove them in 5 min or so, but I never do. I use some canvas liners to put stuff in and I just carry the liners intead of the cases.

BTW the cases are Pelican 1500's
dcwn.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #182
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwn.45
Hey my bike does that sometimes too!

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #183
winegrower
grape crusher

Oddometer: 43
liners

Where did you get your bag liners?
“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”--Helen Keller
winegrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #184
winegrower
grape crusher

Oddometer: 43
Attaching Pelican Bags to a Moto-Sport Mount

I found that the big thumper vibrates too much for the 8x30mm wingnut bolts I'd taken so much care to fabricate. They'd just loosen so that about every 200 miles or so I'd have to retighten them.
I started looking at other fasteners and settled on Dzus quarter turn fasteners used on race cars. Ordered some from JEGS and went to work. Unfortunately Dzus does not make a fastener in 0.830 length which was needed but with the use of a hacksaw, 1/4" stainless steel rod, grinder, files, and a mig welder the fasteners were extended to the appropriate length. The nuts welded to the back of the rack were removed with a small disc on an air grinder and the Dzus springs attached with small screws tapped into the Moto-Sport backing plates.

The Dzus design places little stress on the small screws used to attach the fasteners. Venerable Locktite 242 has secured the screw threads.
“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”--Helen Keller
winegrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #185
JayhawkADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
mounting without drilling case

I'm ordering a Pelican 1500 for a topcase to hold my DSLR and other goodies... Anyone thought of making a box/bracket for it to sit in then throw a couple bungies/tie downs to hold in to the bike??? I've got a flat rack to mount whatever brackets I want (im thinking maybe just some angle iron on each corner bolted to the bike then just set the case in so it can't move front to back or side to side and strap it down)

Only downsides I see are not having as quick access to the case and having a funky rack on the bike when the case is off. But this way you can very easily take the case off and it would still be waterproof and I could use it for non-motorcycle applications...

anyone see any issues with this idea
Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #186
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkADV
I'm ordering a Pelican 1500 for a topcase to hold my DSLR and other goodies... Anyone thought of making a box/bracket for it to sit in then throw a couple bungies/tie downs to hold in to the bike??? I've got a flat rack to mount whatever brackets I want (im thinking maybe just some angle iron on each corner bolted to the bike then just set the case in so it can't move front to back or side to side and strap it down)

Only downsides I see are not having as quick access to the case and having a funky rack on the bike when the case is off. But this way you can very easily take the case off and it would still be waterproof and I could use it for non-motorcycle applications...

anyone see any issues with this idea
Check post #171 in this thread.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #187
jeffabner
Gear Jammer

Oddometer: 8
For those who have attached Pelican cases to their KLR (more specifically '08+) using the Happy Trail SU rack and their pannier mount kit, any advice on case positioning? I've got two racks and mount kits along with four 1550s on the way for both mine and my wife's 09s and am not sure where the best position for the pucks would be. My daughter rides 2-up with me occasionally and I need to retain that ability if at all possible...
jeffabner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #188
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 931
Something different:

Here's how I attached Pelican cases as hard bags on my Triumph Speedmaster. This setup may look unusual on a cruiser, but the cases are very handy when I need to carry a notebook computer and accessories.

The above photo shows a full-sized desktop computer securely mounted to the rack and the Pelican cases, using Aerostich's Hook & Loop cinch straps. I transported it nearly 200 miles exactly as you see it.

I used Easy Brackets to mount the cases, and made sure they were keyed the same as the Easy Brackets I use on my leather saddlebags. The Pelican case, with a 15" notebook computer and padding inside is just under the 15 pound load limit of the Easy Brackets.

I positioned the Pelican cases so their tops would be even with the top of my solo luggage rack, which gives a nice wide area for securing larger cargo.

In order to clear the shocks, I had to put a spacer between each Easy Bracket and case.

I ordered a 12" square sheet of 1/2" black Polyethylene from Mc-Master-Carr. I then cut a piece for each case, and fastened it using stainless button-head bolts, stainless fender washers, and thin stainless Nylok nuts. All of this was sealed using black silicone. I could have replaced the nuts and washers by cutting, drilling, and tapping a small metal plate to place inside each case - but I decided to try the easy way first. This method has worked just fine.

The computer fits nice and snug, and the cases have not leaked in the rain. Just to be safe, I usually place the computer in a plastic trash bag before locking it inside the case.
ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #189
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
Wicked pelican 1550 to TT racks

here's my install

http://f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=225579

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #190
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,315
crap picture, but some cushion clamps and a few stainless steel bolts and lock washers and I upgrade the smaller pelican I had back there to the 1450 one.
Some electric stuff was already wired in so I have to figure out what I am going to do with all that.

AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #191
MedicDB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Full write up of how the mounts were done is here: http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82962

I used the Seahorse SE-720 cases

NREMT-P
1993 KLR 650
2002 DL 1000 V-Strom
1985 SR5 Toy truck 37"s gears and locked
THE BUILDUP OF MY TRUCK: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...084&highlight=
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee on some 31's
MedicDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #192
BlackHawkChief
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Pics??

Quote:
Originally Posted by winegrower View Post
Ordered some from JEGS and went to work. Unfortunately Dzus does not make a fastener in 0.830 length which was needed but with the use of a hacksaw, 1/4" stainless steel rod, grinder, files, and a mig welder the fasteners were extended to the appropriate length. The nuts welded to the back of the rack were removed with a small disc on an air grinder and the Dzus springs attached with small screws tapped into the Moto-Sport backing plates.

The Dzus design places little stress on the small screws used to attach the fasteners. Venerable Locktite 242 has secured the screw threads.
how has this design worked out for you ?
Pics of your top case mounting please?, i'm trying to design something similar.
BlackHawkChief is offline   Reply With Quote