Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2004, 10:20 PM   #91
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Ricky, what size pelican is that on the tail?

I like the way that is mounted. Which one did you use? I have been looking at the 1620. I bought a set of 1520's from Azabeemerboy mounted on Hepco Becker frames/pucks. Works great! See next post for pic.

sdmotor screwed with this post 12-12-2004 at 01:59 AM Reason: didn't need photo
sdmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:55 AM   #92
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

I have those bags now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeunit
I am sitting on the fence regarding installing larger bags on my 1150GS for two up touring. What size are those pelicans on your 1100GS and what could be the largest practical size if you wanted to go larger without affecting the pillion position?
I bought those from Azabeemeboy and they are 1520's. You might get 1550's on there but the would be wider than the bike and hang off the back quite a bit. Not really a problem, but I like the 1520's. I don't know if they have more interior room than the stock BMW bags but they are rectangular and offer at least the same space if not more. I know for sure that they have more room than the bags on the RT with city lids. The link below has them the cheapest I've found w/out foam.

pelicans

Old 12-12-2004, 07:45 PM   #93
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Pelican site

When you visit that site,click on Storm and you will get another choice to consider.The iM2600 is almost identical in size to the Pelican 1550 and can be had in yellow as well as black and battleship gray.Click on the manufacturer's site and get their comparison blurb as they seem to be aiming at Pelican and may offer a better material composition and more secure latches.They also claim their's won't pop open when dropped.John

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmotor
I bought those from Azabeemeboy and they are 1520's. You might get 1550's on there but the would be wider than the bike and hang off the back quite a bit. Not really a problem, but I like the 1520's. I don't know if they have more interior room than the stock BMW bags but they are rectangular and offer at least the same space if not more. I know for sure that they have more room than the bags on the RT with city lids. The link below has them the cheapest I've found w/out foam.

pelicans

bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:58 PM   #94
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereahorn
When you visit that site,click on Storm and you will get another choice to consider.The iM2600 is almost identical .John
What site?
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:47 AM   #95
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
www.cases4less.com

cases4less.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusgus
What site?
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:52 PM   #96
sharpeunit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmotor

pelicans

How quickly or easily can you get the bags off the HB mounts ?
sharpeunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:04 PM   #97
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef
That is the plate the bags mount on with clips and a bungee system which i have to admit is very clever...

What's this about the Mt. Sun mounts quick releasing in case of crash? Care to elaborate because the mfg. website does not. Thanks!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #98
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeunit
How quickly or easily can you get the bags off the HB mounts ?
There are metal pucks inside that unscrew, two on each bag. Less than a minute and they're attractive durable luggage
Old 12-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #99
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,302
There is another thread going right now that is just the same subject... of course I cannot find it now! I think it is Ricardo Suaaaaaaaaaave's thread... But I will post the same pictures here... you can see how with the clips on top and bottom the cases would fly off... take the impact and the crash bars have protected those plates... removal by hand is 2 seconds!
So here we go...

Because I like the size of these Kinetics I bought them... the closure system after a year wore down a bit, plastic against plastic, so I added a thin piece of aluminium to make the closure snug again... totally waterproof... just has more resistance closing the latch... Pelican has a better closure system, so does actually STORM which I think is the best... but as I mentionned the sizes were not to my liking or needs...

Mt Sun use to sell the mounts on their own... $100! bags and hardware $200... but things have changed as he only wants to sell the identical set for $900... The plates and bungees with clips can be duplicated very easily...
Hope this helps...
Ara
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #100
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef
Mt Sun use to sell the mounts on their own... $100! bags and hardware $200... but things have changed as he only wants to sell the identical set for $900... The plates and bungees with clips can be duplicated very easily...
Hope this helps...
Ara
Paging Mr. Ricardo to the white courtesy phone...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 12-18-2004 at 07:54 AM Reason: bandwidth
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #101
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Thanks for that BeemerChef.

The other thread is on the ultimate pannier. Not on mounting pelican bags.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61477

That system would not be patentable. Way too many similar systems - particularly on bicycles. Well not easy to patent.

As I see it the two lower hooks on the bungee cord are placed into the lower slots on the bikes plate - the bags are then lifted up so the upper hooks (solid to the bag) then go over the top of the bikes plate - and the bags are on. Simple.

To lock the bags .. The pelicans have a hole for a padlock - I'm going to use the padlock with a bicycle cable (used to secure a bicycle from theft) from one bag to the other through the farm and maybe the rear wheel (cannot have too much security). I'll put my mount up on my pages - need to make some room on the site and do it.

Frank Warner
Yer not adding anything to the thread with that last post meatpops. Other than uping the hit rate on the photos you quoted. Use yere brain cell man!

Frank Warner screwed with this post 12-13-2004 at 06:10 PM
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:35 PM   #102
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,899
Great explanatory pictures, Ara. Are the rubber pucks on the mount plates just stand offs for the cases, or do they engage the cases to keep them better located?

That system would be easy to duplicate. Do the bags flop around much, like when your GS bottoms out? I have used panniers on bicycles with damn near identical top hardware, and a single point bungee at the bottom, and had them bounce off or worse, partially disengage, and take out the derailleur on their way to crashing me.

The Storm cases look good on the website. The plastic they use; How does it like exhaust heat vis-a-vis the Pelican? How does it hold up at hardpoints (where we would drill & mount it)? UV? Any chemists out there?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:43 PM   #103
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,302
You got it on the nose Frank... it is a very simple system and it works! My 27000 mile trip this year did not affect them a bit... At some point I will change the bungees... they probably have one more year of life left...
Locking... honestly I never somehow worry about that... it does pay to be somehow careful as travelling alone I generally will not leave the sight of the bike... you have to feel where to park safely... maybe even ask the gas station attendant to keep an eye on it while you are using the facilities...
It is just a way and feel of life for six months out of the year and Iv never had a problem... I never even remove the key off the bike... being a "Verholen" key holder however, few even know that ITS the KEY! I have even had GS riders ask me what that switch was!!!
Good luck... and be well...
*** There is a chance that I will switch my yearly schedule and work summers instead of winters... if that happens then Australia will be my second home 5 months out of the year!!! I will let you know...
Ara
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #104
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
Are the rubber pucks on the mount plates just stand offs for the cases, or do they engage the cases to keep them better located?
I'd say simple standoffs - reduce the rubbing area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
That system would be easy to duplicate. Do the bags flop around much, like when your GS bottoms out? I have used panniers on bicycles with damn near identical top hardware, and a single point bungee at the bottom, and had them bounce off or worse, partially disengage, and take out the derailleur on their way to crashing me.
They would fop at the bottom sideways away from the bike.

And at the top - vertically upwards. This would occur on jumps when the rear wheel leaves the ground. This would be as your feet leave the pegs - the bag may tend to disengage from the bike. Not something that happens too often on a fully loaded tour.

---
Ara: Carry a spare bungee - not too hard, expensive, big or heavy. OZ is a nice place to travel. NZ is a bit on teh small side .. well for me. And if you want NZ like place to go than Tassie is very good and easily doable from mainland OZ. Not that getin to NZ is hard, it is just harder than Tassie. The worry about theft is only in the main cities - any thing where there are more than 3 pubs. Otherwise the bike keys are safer in the bikes' ingintion lock. I put them in too many places to remember where they are sometimes.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:51 PM   #105
kgrenon
White Trash

Oddometer: 48
Heres a 1120 on my xr400