Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2004, 03:59 AM   #106
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,285
Hi Rapiti... because of the two strong clamps on top, the two clips at the bottom and some definite "tightness" on the bungees they do not flop around... I do not go airborn! I stay on service roads that are not too dramatic... and... when I see a "hairy" single trail coming up with chalenging terrain... well... I turn around before adventuring into it and coming to a point where turning around is just physically impossible... (no Jimmy Lewis here!). That is the extend of my "talents!!!"... I have to play it safe as I am generally pretty heavy loaded (the bike that is )... and alone... The rubber bumpers keep the cases of the plate and allow some room for the bungees not to rub between the rear of the case and the plate... they just go (the bungees) through their regular wearing down cycle... however great idea to carry spare ones already pre-cut and pre-burned at the ends and some clips to attach new ones. There are only 2... After all, since I carry all the tools needed for servicing, including torque wrench, fuel fliter and O ring, oil, belt, cables... you name it... 2 extra bungees are not going to make much of a weight difference and God knows I have the room!!!
Thanks for the tip... sometimes one does not look any further than their nose and it is generally too late when we go "Duh!"... or... "why didn't I...".
Be well...
Ara

BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:02 AM   #107
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
BeemerChef, what are the base plates made of and how did you attach them to the bike?

Thanks,

Richard.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:28 AM   #108
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Look at the pictures and they are self explanatory... long studs that uses existing BMW holes... you HAVE to have the side racks however that held the original cases... but I am sure there would be a way around that by fabricating some pre-drilled blocks that would act as the side rack...

I should measure the thickness of the plates also probably... they are strong aluminium? I think...
Wish Mt Sun, Jim, would not be so stubborn and would start selling the hardware alone as we all like different bags and could then cusomize our liking... but! %$#^!!!

Be well...
Ara
Old 12-14-2004, 04:38 PM   #109
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmotor
I like the way that is mounted. Which one did you use? I have been looking at the 1620. I bought a set of 1520's from Azabeemerboy mounted on Hepco Becker frames/pucks. Works great! See next post for pic.

How's it goin SD!!!
azabeemerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:34 PM   #110
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by azabeemerboy
How's it goin SD!!!
I'm still lovin those bags, melted the left bag with that less than smart exhaust mod posted here somewhere but have bought (not mounted) its replacement. Added cables to stop the bags from opening too far and been using the hell out of them. I like Ricky's post for that pelican topcase. I'm looking at the 1620 mounted on a Jesse rear compartment to clear the bags I have for a big waterproof topcase.

How's the 12GS treatin you? I was a little green when they came out but like my pig enough to not want it........ yet
Old 12-14-2004, 05:56 PM   #111
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
can you see how the bottom part of the bag(four bolt area) is being deform by the mounting sistem..

azabeemerboy did you experience any problems related to this like cracks or similar issues..

thanks for posting the fotos.

Ricky, I have these bags from Azabeemerboy and after re-reading this thread went and inspected both bags. There isn't any deformity to the area where the bolts are on the right bag. The left bag got a little melted from a bad exhaust mod but the bolts are still looking good and holding strong. The area of the bag that got hot is a little wavy but still strong as ever. I am going to add a small plate like you mentioned, just in case.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:03 AM   #112
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmotor
I'm still lovin those bags, melted the left bag with that less than smart exhaust mod posted here somewhere but have bought (not mounted) its replacement. Added cables to stop the bags from opening too far and been using the hell out of them. I like Ricky's post for that pelican topcase. I'm looking at the 1620 mounted on a Jesse rear compartment to clear the bags I have for a big waterproof topcase.

How's the 12GS treatin you? I was a little green when they came out but like my pig enough to not want it........ yet
I'm with ya. I like the big pig also and I doubt I would have traded had I had one. Having said that the 12 is a fantastic ride, no problems. Just another new place to dump money for "gotta haves" !!

See ya - get East give us a shout.
azabeemerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:46 PM   #113
sharpeunit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Thanks for pix on mounting setup for the Pelican panniers. I assume that an exhaust tip extension would be needed to keep the heat off the left bag's mounting plate. I would need to make some sort of a hasp lock mount to keep the bags from wandering off here in "Chocolate City".

Mt. Sun's cost is getting close to aluminum system pricing. Fudge!
sharpeunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #114
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Hey... was just in Decatur last week! in a cage!!!
I think one should start "duplicating Mt Sun's Hardware design... it is a good design definitly... it also has the advenatage that because they are both "out" (the plates) the same distance there is no need for exhaust mods...
Once that plate is made with the hardware, bungees and clips and stainless steel bolts and nuts then each can choose what size Pelican, Storm or Kinetic or anything they would like to attach... you can even have different size bags for different occasions, each with its own hardware... if I have done it anyone can!
Just a thought...
PS: I bought my Kinetics when they were on sale... $90 for both!!! regular price $120 or so each... even at that price as I have seen many mangeld Touratechs and Jessies they are almost disposable!!! I yet have to damage one!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:47 AM   #115
sharpeunit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Question

Did you keep your drawings/templates for the plates and mounting holes. You said something about using the original OEM bag mounts for something, was it to locate the new mounts and/or use as a spacer?

Tank yew!
sharpeunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:59 AM   #116
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
Hey ricky

(as you probably know) my 1420 topbox is held one using a zega mount.

it gives you the flexibility to take it on and off and if I wanted to later even have a second top plate and mount a bigger box for long trips.

Peli make very nice products!
Old 12-17-2004, 07:19 PM   #117
auslander
Meh

Oddometer: 707
Nope, it's bolted on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPeP
Hi Auslander,

Is it easy to remove the topcase, or is it fixed to the bike?

I was thinking of using a Pelican case as topcase (to transport some photo equipment) mounted on the Touratech topcase plate, so it would be easy to remove. Does anyone have this setup?
Nope, bolted in place.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:19 AM   #118
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Auslander, thanks for the info.

The setup of Spanish Bob looks interesting. Thanks for showing the pics.
- FB: www.facebook.com/peter.perdaen
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/1150GSPEP/videos
GSPeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:12 AM   #119
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Ricky, any information on where this mount comes from?

Bob, I had a Zega mount on my KTM to attach my Jesse top box - shook itself to pieces in 2000 miles, sent it back to TT and got a full refund. I know the KTM is know for its vibes but it really wasn't good enough. I would think that on the BM and with the smaller pelican box you will be OK but I wouldn't use the Zega for mounting a larger box.

PS See you the the BMW NYE party?
Old 12-18-2004, 11:25 AM   #120
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTiM
Ricky, any information on where this mount comes from?

Bob, I had a Zega mount on my KTM to attach my Jesse top box - shook itself to pieces in 2000 miles, sent it back to TT and got a full refund. I know the KTM is know for its vibes but it really wasn't good enough. I would think that on the BM and with the smaller pelican box you will be OK but I wouldn't use the Zega for mounting a larger box.

PS See you the the BMW NYE party?
Hello there

Nope -fraid not I have a family commitment. but give me a call to meet up whilst you are here?

0034 607 586 241

Mine seems OK and lots of people seem to have the zega cases. Weird? I have to keep loctite-ing the screws and the plate isn´t too attractive now after 30k. I´d be delighted to use soemthing taht wasn´t ttech, but I justdont know of anything more or less similar.

cheers