Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Here we go again! R60/5 owners chime in!

How are they? What are the positives and negatives? Have a possible trade pending.....fill me in!

BTW particulars on the bike.

excellent condition with service history and records, recent as in the last few months, new cables, carbs rebuilt full service and tune up with new points and condensers, final drive serviced, new tyres, and he has a bunch of accessories but i am not sure what all they are yet.

thanks,

Kevin
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
I love mine, its a great around the town and short run bike. Starts better than any bike I have ever had. Love the bucket, love the aluminum turns, love old school look. Mine is a bit dirty and could use some new shocks, but new paint was most important to me.

I saw on another post where you were talking about putting a 1000 motor and upgrading the brake. In my humble opinion, that defeats the purpose. YES, YES, YES it doesnt stop anything like my double disc 83 R100, but its a different animal. I dont ride the R60 if there is a chance I am going to get stuck in traffic. Its obviously hard to predict when brakes are going to make or brake a deal, but for me, one is pleasure and one is utilitarian. I call mine my, bee-booping-beemer. I have seen modern brakes on the older models and something doest sit right with me. These are just my opinions, maybe it can be done classy. Good luck.

CurlyMike screwed with this post 12-13-2010 at 06:18 AM
CurlyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

f I do get the 60/5, I will not expect nor ride it like a modern bike. In fact, that is one reason I want an old Airhead. I am supposed to get the R100RS today or tomorrow, but want a more vintage one too. This trade might get me both. i feel I can go quicker and more spirited on the R100RS to fulfill my needs for speed, and just cruise nicely on the /5.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

very nice looking bike there!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,386
I think mine was one of the funnest airheads I've owned. Hauled me around even though I am heavy. Nimble, light, smooooooth - just a great bike! Hope you get it!

Edited for clarity.

Emily Bronte

Mista Vern screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 03:56 PM
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
I think mine was one of the funnest airheads I've owned. Hauled me around even though I am heavy, nimble, light, smooooooth - just a great bike! Hope you get it!
you are "heavy,nimble,light,smoooooth"?????? are you sure about all of that?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess jamaica
I got the heavy part covered! I am kinda nimble.....and smooth.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Glowbug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
In those records, check the date of the last spline lube. Bad news if that's been neglected.
Glowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbug
In those records, check the date of the last spline lube. Bad news if that's been neglected.
I saw it has been done three times since it was new and has 30K on it. it was done in the last 200 miles along with everything else pretty much.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

I think mine was one of the funnest airheads I've owned. Hauled me around even though I am heavy, nimble, light, smooooooth - just a great bike! Hope you get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess jamaica
Ooopsie - should have used a semi colon instead of a comma! In reality I am as nimbe as a cow on ice, light as a guilty conscience, and smooth as an auctioneer with Tourettes.

Emily Bronte

Mista Vern screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 03:57 PM
Old 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

so will these bikes go down the freeway at 75mph easily, or is that asking too much from a 600 twin?
Old 08-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
so will these bikes go down the freeway at 75mph easily, or is that asking too much from a 600 twin?
Should be fine - they like to rev. Won't be much pulling power there, but once you are at speed the bike will sit there all day.

Emily Bronte
Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Should be fine - they like to rev. Won't be much pulling power there, but once you are at speed the bike will sit there all day.
Cool. I don't usually mind slow to get there as much as not being able to stay there once it gets there.....uhm did I say that right?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
I had a 1971 R60/5 for two years. It was silver with blue pinstripes, a lovely color. It carried me to my first MOA Rally, in Colorado, and collected a speeding ticket for 83 in a 55. I still miss it.

As far as I'm concerned, there are just a few drawbacks to the R60s: The carbs are very prone to leaking, and their attachment is terrible.

They are very sensitive to octane, although if you're riding like it as intended, this won't be a real problem.

Parts for the four-speed gearboxes are getting hard to find. You can swap in a five-speed, but this reduces the bike's charm.
bmwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Cool. I don't usually mind slow to get there as much as not being able to stay there once it gets there.....uhm did I say that right?

The bike is known for two things :incredible smoothness, much better than the bigger displacement bikes. And it has class. Period.

So if you want these things, go for it. If you want more power, and the handling and brakes to take advantage of it, get a newer one, 90/6 minimum. It will be cheaper. The 60/5 , at this point in time, is best enjoyed for exactly what it is. It will need better shocks and fork springs, just because of it's age and those components will be shot, and simple to upgrade w/o compromising the look. A police solo seat is also nice, at your elevation it isn't the best 2 up scoot and that seat look great, feels good, etc. But that's it.

Hot rodding airheads is either an exercise in simply doing it---that is, the processes the fun, not the result. Or you are poor and you build a more powerful bike as time and misc. parts become available. It
s the hard way to do it but easy on the cash flow if you have enough years to do it and some connections.

Personally I would do ALL the handling mods on the RS, they go a long way to making that a more competent machine, and leave the /5 as a nice Sunday putt machine that you keep well detailed and enjoy for riding on those perfect days when you can completely enjoy it for exactly what it is.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote