Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #91
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess jamaica
that parking lot isn't in madrid congrats!!
DING DING! That was where I hadda meet Alejo to show off a tad. He liked it me thinks.....Was nice enough to take the first pic of it since it is mine. BTW Tim, great to meet you and see you on tech day!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #92
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
bigger cylinder heads. bigger oil sump. meatier shocks. frame brace. think man, think!

in a word .. siebenrock!

Nice looking ride, Snipe. Have fun!

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #93
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess jamaica
that parking lot isn't in madrid congrats!!
That parking lot is bigger than Madrid as a matter O' fact!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #94
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce

Nice looking ride, Snipe. Have fun!

Thanks, I really love it.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #95
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,874
Congrats!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 AM   #96
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Lots of variables at work and lots of ways to address them. I like Oak, he's a good old boy with lots of experience in a number of different things. But I'd take a different tack if it were me.

I've had three R60's over the years and an R50/5 that turned out to be an R60. I've never changed the carbs. I like them, especially for their simplicity and economy of operation.

Bob Loblaw
I like Oak and have a great deal of respect for him but he just doesn't like those slide-valve carbs. They aren't bad carbs for the reasons that Lornce outlines.

You have to handle slide-valve carbs differently. In these carbs the slide-valve functions as both the throttle plate and the venturi of the carb. A venturi is a restriction the the carb bore and it causes a pressure drop which draws the fuel up out of the float bowl. If the venturi area is too large for a given airflow you won't have the needed pressure drop to draw the fuel up. If you open the slide-valve too much for a given airflow (think RPM) the mixture can lean out. Lean mixtures and too much throttle at low RPM are a good recipe for pinging. If you are careful about how much throttle you give at low RPM/high load situations you can avoid pinging altogether.

If you open the slide valve too much at way too low an RPM the engine will bog. The trick is to not dump the throttle and open it too much at low RPM. Over the years I've gotten accustomed to using the slide valve carb and as second nature watch how much throttle I give at low RPM.

In the typical CV (Constant Vacuum) carb application, the slide valve is controlled by the butterfly (throttle plate) by means of the vacuum diaphragm. Up to a point, the more you open the throttle the more the slide rises. However, the amount of rise is limited by airflow or RPM and this designed response curve won't let the slide open too far for a given airflow. Dump the throttle at low RPM and the slide-valve will only open so far and no more. It can't open too much, by design. Foolproof, more or less.

R60/5 carbs didn't have "chokes" or enricheners for starting, they had "ticklers", wherein you could manually sink the float and flood the carb for enrichening the mixture for starting. Quaint, and the later /6 /7 models have actual enricheners designed into the carbs.

There is a Slash5 starting drill.

Depress the tickler until fuel dribbles out the overflow vent on the bottom of the float bowl. Pump the throttle seven times. No more. No less. Seven shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be seven. Eight shalt thou not count, nor either count thou six, excepting that thou then proceed to seven. Ten is right out. Once the number seven, being the seventh number, be reached, then crack the throttle about one-eighth and hit the starter button. And the engine did start, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--

Skip a bit, Brother.

After 20-30 seconds, if the engine starts to bog, hit the tickler again. The engine won't let you happily move until it warms up enough.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 AM   #97
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-X
I will do a /6 alternator if I can for more juice, but keep it real as they say.
Unless you plan to add extra lights (above upgrading to a 55/65W Halogen in the headlamp) or use heated gear, the stock 180W charging system is adequate if maintained. Adequate, although marginally so. A 280W /6 upgrade (Motorrad Elektrick sells a conversion stator) would be good. Plus, as maintenance upgrades, an Omega or Thunderchild diode board, a Motorrad rebuilt rotor and a solid-state voltage regulator would give a throuble-free system. A useful improvement is the 400W Omega alternator system, you'll not worry about watts ever again.

But, for the time being, go through the bike, do the must-do maintenance and save your time and money for the necessary repairs until things get sorted out. The bike looks to be in good shape, but it'll need things replaced and repaired.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #98
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
Unless you plan to add extra lights (above upgrading to a 55/65W Halogen in the headlamp) or use heated gear, the stock 180W charging system is adequate if maintained. Adequate, although marginally so. A 280W /6 upgrade (Motorrad Elektrick sells a conversion stator) would be good. Plus, as maintenance upgrades, an Omega or Thunderchild diode board, a Motorrad rebuilt rotor and a solid-state voltage regulator would give a throuble-free system. A useful improvement is the 400W Omega alternator system, you'll not worry about watts ever again.

But, for the time being, go through the bike, do the must-do maintenance and save your time and money for the necessary repairs until things get sorted out. The bike looks to be in good shape, but it'll need things replaced and repaired.
Great advice Bill! And thanks! I will do a full checkout this weekend as I am going to a meet at a Airheads house. Thanks again, I just need to sort a couple niggling things.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #99
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
I'd say 4K USD is top dollar on the bike. 3k t0 3500 is more reasonable. it's got some goodies but nothing exceptional---mostly ordinary stock stuff any bike should have., Make sure the tool kit is complete. If the mileage is true, I'd say 3500 is a good measuring stick. You can cost out the filters and such precisely---but if they are old and the rubber on them is dry, toss 'em. The exhaust nut wrench is a freebie. Maybe worth $25USD. Many available. I would give it no weight. I would give more weight to when the fork oil was last changed. Better be within 12 months.

But if you are balancing a trade deal between somethng your don't ride and something you are gonna, that changes things. The $$$$ is not so important. The "happy factor" is. I wouldn't hesitate to give away a grand to get into something I wanted and wanted to ride. If you are comparing this save-and-collect vs. that one---well whatever. Could care less myself. I ride 'em.
That is exactly right. I will ride this one more. And after only having it three days, already love it. All fluids, and a BUNCH of other stuff was done within 500 miles of when I got it. Ill scan the list some day and post it up. I also got a factory service manu8al, a new owners manual and the stock one, a BMW factory parts manual for R50~R100, and a Clymer manual too. So those are a big bonus. Oh, and it has three sets of keys including the cool plastic one, and three seat lock keys.

Sniper X screwed with this post 08-31-2010 at 08:44 AM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 AM   #100
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

How do I minimize or get entirely rid of tramlining in the rain groove pavement? Higher tyre pressure? Stiffer fork oil? Tyres are new and Dunny Gold Seals, they seem a little underinflated though which I will check at lunch sid I rode in today...
Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #101
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
How do I minimize or get entirely rid of tramlining in the rain groove pavement?
Tire brand, mainly, in my experience. The Conti's that I used to use were horrid on rain grooves. Switched to Avon Roadriders and I don't even notice them now. This might be the case with the Dunlops, I dunno fer sure.

One thing: go to the Dunlop website and check their recommended tire pressures. That sticker on the bike/in the manual is for 35-year old tire construction and is too low for today's tires.

Another thing: grease and adjust the rear swingarm bearings. Disassemble, clean, lube (if you have time, if not, plan to do it later) and adjust the the steering head bearings. On the centerstand, grab the tires at 3-and-9:00 and see of there is any play in the wheel bearings; there should be -zero-.

That may or may not do anything for the twitchiness, but it needs to be checked.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #102
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,208
I trade you tires
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #103
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo
I trade you tires
Come ride my bike first....see if you can figure it out. I think it is the tyres. Love the tyres other than the tramlining.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #104
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Come ride my bike first....see if you can figure it out. I think it is the tyres. Love the tyres other than the tramlining.
Some tires do and some others don't.

32 psi front 36 psi rear.

Bring it to lunch someday.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #105
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo
Some tires do and some others don't.

32 psi front 36 psi rear.