Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #196
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by franki
Ni Hao Trent,

I remember Beemer Boy wrote in his thread: " it arn't an adventure bike if you can't pick it up yourself" I have the same kind of principle when doing adventure touring. Use only the right tool but not the biggest tool.

I am trying to formulate my route plan for North America now and don't be surprised that I may be asking for pointers later on.

Cheers,

Franki
When you are ready for North America Franki, let me know. Ontario especially. I would be happy to let you know good places to stay, great roads, and most importantly where to eat! You would be welcome to put your tent in my yard as well if needed.
Good Luck.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #197
franki OP
NB Rider

Oddometer: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie
When you are ready for North America Franki, let me know. Ontario especially. I would be happy to let you know good places to stay, great roads, and most importantly where to eat! You would be welcome to put your tent in my yard as well if needed.
Good Luck.

Thanks McJamie
franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #198
franki OP
NB Rider

Barley field

Pulan is surounded by snowy peaks and situated in a lower altitude where trees can grow. It is a rare and welcoming sight to see trees in Pulan.

The foot hill of Mt. Namunani

The way we came

A close up look at Mt. Namunani

A close up look at Mt. Kailash

Barran vally

Soaling in the nature

Signs of underground water

Yellow bus
Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #199
franki OP
NB Rider

Riding from Pulan to Baga was a breeze and we stop by the Ghost Lake again to take some photos of The Centre of the World – Mt. Kailash. Once reaching Baga the road construction begins and the G219 Baga to Lazi section is totally closed for traffic. That means only motorcycles and Toyota Land cruisers can go through the service roads made by the construction for their dump trucks and bulldozers. It is one hell of an off road course. But having a small and light has its advantage. We sneaked up the freshly graded road base when condition allows and got off the road base when there is obstacle or the road is completely broken. Baga to Huoer was pretty tough but short. We stopped dead in our track to be mesmerized by the sunset view of Mt. Namunani. Then we rode into a guest house in Huoer under the remaining light.

Clouds lifted and we can see the whole of Mt. Namunani

Met a young man from Xian who rode his bike through the road constructions and ran out of water. I gave him the last bottle of water I had and he was very happy.

The whole of Mt. Namunani range can be seen under the setting sun

Earth on fire

Beautiful light show put on by mother bature

Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #200
franki OP
NB Rider

When we head toward Payang the next morning, I came to a road block and saw a detour track made by the Land cruisers. I just followed it and came to a river which looks quite deep. I stopped to check it out for a while and decided to give it a try. The water came up to the cylinder head but was below my air intake. Struggling, I made it through onto the other side. I was getting off my bike to tell Capt. Kool to make an investigative pass on foot first before riding through as he is less experienced. But being young and dumb and full of …. He gassed it, and you know what, he stalled the engine when the front wheel hit a bigger rock on the river bed. His bike started to lean downstream while he fought hard to keep it upright. My first reaction was to go grab my camera and took a photo of him before dropping everything by the river bank and rushed in to give him a hand. The water was freezing cold but 3 of us managed to push his bike across within 3 minutes. I don’t thing I can stay any longer than that as the cold water sent sharp pain to my legs. We had to work for over an hour to get his bike dry enough to restart the engine. Jon was totally not amused by this and shouted at us. Sign of road fatigue. Later we found out that the road block was passable on motorcycles but not cars. All these trouble for nothing. Jon got very pissed as he also has to jump into the icy cold water for the rescue. We poured water from our boots and move on. We managed to reach Payang just before dark. Huoer to Payang was like hell, there were very little service road, we had to ride over dry river bed, climb slippery hills and over very deep ruts made by construction machines. And of course I had to turn back to help Capt. Kool to pick up his bike when he dropped it.

Capt. Kool in distress

Pushed out of the river. Luckily his net-book and camera were kept on top of the seat.

Many rivers had to be cross

A ruin appeared in the middle of a river on a sand bank. Wondering who come first?

A closer look

Another storm dodged

franki screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 01:46 AM
Old 09-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #201
franki OP
NB Rider

Map of Tibet & Route Map has been updated
Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #202
bigdamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Once again thanks Franki awe-inspiring.

Could you get from Suanghu back into Xinjiang heading straight up through the MT Hoh area?I think there is another big mountain range on the border there that is pretty remote but westerners have been there?

bigdamo screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 05:40 PM
bigdamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #203
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdamo
Once again thanks Franki awe-inspiring.

Could you get from Suanghu back into Xinjiang heading straight up through the MT Hoh area?I think there is another big mountain range on the border there that is pretty remote but westerners have been there?

The northern Tibet plateau is rarely explored as it is too extreme. Many places are uninhabited and not accessible overland. Theoretically one can try to go there but I think one needs very strong logistic support & special vehicles to do that. I have not heard about westerners going into such area. Even Chinese needs special permits to enter.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #204
DustySnow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
These photos are just awe inspiring. What incredibly beautiful country.I cant keep my eyes off this ride report. Thank you.
DustySnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #205
franki OP
NB Rider

Payang to Saga is no better. When climbing a steep mountain, the road was very rough where some time both wheels were air born. The 2 bolts securing the XTR sub-frame broke about 10km just before reaching Saga causing it to collapse. Luckily I felt it went down and ease the bike to stop at a safe place. One bolt is broken inside and one is completely missing. I put in one spare bolt and rode carefully down the mountain to Saga. It took me visiting 3 bike shops to find one that is willing to take the broken bolt out and replace it with a new one. When I return to the hotel, Jon had met some other bikers travelling the other direction and also plan to stay in the same hotel as ours. Needless to say, dinner party is on.

A group photo was taken before the dinner party

A kid carrying his make shift rug sack looks on as we rode pass

On going road construction made the road even worse to ride on

Saga to Lazi is about 5% better but I still got sweaty palms and aching muscles. None of us bordered to dig out the camera to take photos as we were all busy staying upright. After we left the G219 road construction zone, we came to the end of G219. Just before reaching Lazi, the road connected to G318. Jon had to rush back to his girl friend who happened to be in Lhasa and not feeling well. Capt. Kool and I stayed in Lazi for the night and we head to wards Zhangmu which is border with Nepal. To get to Zhangmu, we need to cross over 2 +5000m mountain passes and than started to decent to below 2000m. The geological change was very drastic and the scenery change was amazing.

This is the point where road construction end and also close to the end of Route G219 . We congratulate ourselves in completing all the off road sections of this trip with even having one spill, with the exception of Capt. Kool of cause

Hahaha...

The USD fork left leg started to leak after the super washboard road at the northern route. Thus, little braking on front rotor for the rest of +6000km journey.

For a long time we were on dirt roads, this clean tarmac road is a welcome for a tired rider. Yes, you are not wrong about the white napkins. We use them to dry out the extra moisture inside the boots and they work very well. Its only when we wanted to buy them in the supermarket, we always got a strange look from the girls over the counter

This photo is just to demonstrate where the napkin is surpose to be used.

We stopped by this milestone to sign on it in memory of our travel on Route G219 in 2010.

Vegetation showed that we have decented to a lower altitude of around 4000m

Greener pasture, more animals

The farmer is better dressed
Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #206
nick7077
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Great!

I am so proud of you guys!
Thanks for sharing!

Xu Ding
nick7077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #207
franki OP
NB Rider

Motorcycle is magnet to kids

When I grew up, I wanna be just like him....

This one is young at heart
Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #208
franki OP
NB Rider

Jiacuo Pass at 5248m was cold and windy

Coming up to the second mountain pass

Milestone showing 5288 km from it starting point near Shanghai

It is hard to imagin how people live at above 5200m
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #209
franki OP
NB Rider

A typical Tibetan tea house

A stroke of sunlight warmed the house

Dried meat

Stone slates harvested by farmers for building material

After passing Neila-mu, we were greeted by a wall of fog and clouds. This is the pass that stopped all the moisture coming through from the west.

We got very wet once inside the clouds and sometimes the visibility dropped to 5m

Lavishly green

Its like a fairy tale or Chinese painting

There are hundreds of waterfall, only if I can see them. I can surely hear them roar.

The road descending down to Zhangmu

Zhangmu and the parking lot for border trade trucks

There is not one square foot of flat ground in Zhangmu so all the houses were lined up just along the narrow road.

franki screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 10:29 PM
Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #210
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick7077
I am so proud of you guys!
Thanks for sharing!

Xu Ding

Hi Xu Ding,

You have got the tools and you are in the area. Go for it!

Franki