Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #241
franki OP
NB Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdamo
This person has been there http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/r...h-muztagh.html from Xinjiang side but not all the way through to Lahsa.

I remember seeing that movie based on a true story of a group of Tibetan border guards not Chinese true Tibetans who got lost/ambushed on patrol and all perished. Tibet one beautiful but harsh place.

How did you and the bike handle the high altitudes?

Thanks for sending me these great info. Unfortunately, I am just a traveller on motorcycle or I should be jumping for joy seeing these....

The movie you saw was made by Chinese about a group of neglected environmental protectionist trying to protect the Tibetan wildlife from Tibetan poachers. It sure did grab the attention of the government and the general public. Now there is an official properly armed and trained nature reserve guards in Kukusili. Every year, there are many volunteers joining in to help protect the nature.

I am lucky not to be affected too much by the high altitude. May be it is because of my breath holding dives in my younger age had trained me to get used to lack of oxygen

I can't say the same about my bike. Though I have change to a smaller jet. The engine will run but has much less power at 5300m making it very hard to go over obstacles and climb hills. At sea level, it has a claimed 18hp at the crank. I think it has about 12hp at high altitude.
franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #242
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
I was your American friend, until you posted all these stunning photos of Tibet, making me insanely jealous.....

But I am willing to let that pass. Please let me know when you are headed stateside,
and I will provide all the help I can.

Dear ex-american friend, please be-friend with me again as I know you don't mean that I promise you, one day, not too long from now, you will be able to ride in Tibet and seeing all the beautiful landscape. I am trying to start an organisation to help promote bike touring in China as well as any foreigner who is interested to visit.

I wanted to complete my dream of travelling the north and south America. But reality does not seem to allow me to do than in one go. So my plan is to buy a bike in the US and do the north America part in 2011, go home, make some more money and come back to finsish the south America part by 2012. Any help from an old friend will be much appreciated.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #243
franki OP
NB Rider

Capt. Kool suggested we make a change to our usual Sichuan dinner and went for Xinjiang food. Not to my surprise, the restaurant was operated by a Sichuan couple. Capt. Kool ordered a few dishes and it was the worst tasting meal we have every had for the 2 months we were on the road. We couldn’t finish half of the food on the table, paid and got out of that joint very disappointed. During the night, I got up 5 time to throw up. I just could not believe that I got food poisoning on the last leg of our journey! The next morning, I had no stomach for breakfast and we rode off to Lhasa. At the half way point, we stopped to get some bottled water as I was dehydrated from my stomach problem. I walked into a store and pointed at the shelf indicating I want to buy a couple of bottles from the young girl. As she took the 2 bottles of water from the shelf to give them to me, I turned around and walk out the store to throw up. How embarrassing, what she was thinking in her mind. Capt. Kool just stood there laughing… The ride back was uneventful except I felt my bike’s rear wheel sliding more than usual.

We arrived Lhasa early afternoon and I got some medicine from the drug store and I was feeling much better the next day. Thinking that my rear wheel bearing has bit the dust, I sent my bike to the bike shop to have the bearings replaced and put on a new set of rubbers. My bike is good to go again. I left Capt. Kool and Jon in Lhasa and went to Lake Namucuo again for one last time before we pack them up and ship them back to the factory for some much needed overhaul.

My rear wheel bearing after the rough treatment

Just about 5 weeks old, the tires have gone through much abuse

franki screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 03:05 AM
Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #244
wimj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
An admirer from Europe...

All I can say is "thank you". Your RR is truly inspirational and reading it is the next best thing to riding. Just love it!
wimj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #245
Jeff Opunx
Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer: 40
Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 AM   #246
dpouwel
Petualang

Oddometer: 617

- www.innocentrider.wordpress.com
- dpouwel@gmail.com

dpouwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #247
franki OP
NB Rider

The following photos are from the sacred lakes of Yangzhouyongcuo & Namucuo. It is my tribute to the beautiful secenery and friendly people of Tibet.

Yangzhouyongcuo

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #248
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
Your photos are absolutely amazing! Keep them coming!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #249
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by franki
Thank you. I have little friends in USA so any info or help I can get will be much appreciated.

franki, I think that due to your incredible photographs and wonderful ride reports, you have a lot more friends in America than you suspect. Be sure to let us all know when you'll be coming stateside. I'd bet dollars to donuts that you'll have hundreds, if not thousands, of offers of hospitality from those of us whom you have thoroughly entertained and amazed with this report. If you should find yourself coming to central Ohio, please let me know and I'd be honored to "make party" with you and show you some nice roads and sights.

Thanks again for the entertainment and inspiration.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #250
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion
franki, I think that due to your incredible photographs and wonderful ride reports, you have a lot more friends in America than you suspect. Be sure to let us all know when you'll be coming stateside. I'd bet dollars to donuts that you'll have hundreds, if not thousands, of offers of hospitality from those of us whom you have thoroughly entertained and amazed with this report. If you should find yourself coming to central Ohio, please let me know and I'd be honored to "make party" with you and show you some nice roads and sights.

You've got a couch to crash on in Kansas.
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #251
RoccoVa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Stunning RR and Pics. Keep them coming. You will have many friends in Virginia.
RoccoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #252
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion

Dear All,

I thought Chinese bikers are very hospitable, how wrong I was. I am very touched by the warm response from people I have never met in my life to welcome me to their country. I shall surely let you guys know my plans for 2011 & 2012. I hope I will bring back with me all the great experience and beautiful scenery of America and shar them with my Chinese bikers over this side of the pond.

In the meantime, I need to work hard to make this upcoming trip a reality.

Cheers,

Franki
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #253
franki OP
NB Rider

Friendly little kid giving a ok sign

The golden years

Volunteers helping to fix the roof of Dachao Temple

Pilgrims

Tangka - wall paintings

What a sweet smile

Window shopping sheep

Business is quiet
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #254
franki OP
NB Rider

BBQ lamb, boiled lamb and nan bread

Chilly chicken - Xinjiang style

This girl is from Xinjiang and she help ordered all the dishes

Yummy

The large banner we put up for other bikers to sign is full

Bikers having a good time

Biker having a really good time
Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #255
franki OP
NB Rider

Namucuo

When travellers meet travellers in the road, I was invited to join in the picnic

Summer in Namucuo

The waitresses at the restaurant were happy to see me again and asked to pose in front of my bike

Showing them what I have took