Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #91
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by franki
Thanks bigdamo. Our route were as shown on the map on page one. However, there is a plan to do northern Xinjiang in late Sep. providing Galaxy can get our bikes serviced and shipped to Urumqi on time.
I am visiting Galaxy from the USA and just took a look at your bikes today! Looks like the bikes faired very well.

This is a dream ride for me, and I hope to find a good tour guide to help me make this happen, hint hint!!

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #92
franki OP
NB Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitster
I am visiting Galaxy from the USA and just took a look at your bikes today! Looks like the bikes faired very well.

This is a dream ride for me, and I hope to find a good tour guide to help me make this happen, hint hint!!

Haha, thanks for the update. Our bikes just arrived back in Galaxy with a turn around time of ten days, I am not sure if they can get it ready in time of the next adventure before the first snow.

If you are interested in touring China. Lets talk.
franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #93
bigdamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Thanks bigdamo. Our route were as shown on the map on page one. However, there is a plan to do northern Xinjiang in late Sep. providing Galaxy can get our bikes serviced and shipped to Urumqi on time.
Franki on your map it looked like you went up to the border of Xinjiang Ali?

I thought you might have kept going on to Kashgar ,Hotan or on to Urumqi.

Wondering if you ride your bikes in Urumqi when it is not allowed.

I have seen people riding motorcycles in Urumqi though.

Are you going to head up to Kanas again.

Don't forget to look out for these when coming around a corner in Xinjiang

bigdamo screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 04:10 PM
bigdamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #94
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdamo
Franki on your map it looked like you went up to the border of Xinjiang Ali?

I thought you might have kept going on to Kashgar ,Hotan or on to Urumqi.

Wondering if you ride your bikes in Urumqi when it is not allowed.

I have seen people riding motorcycles in Urumqi though.

Are you going to head up to Kanas again.

Don't forget to look out for these when coming around a corner in Xinjiang

Bigdamo,

China is really too big to see even split it in 10 times. My style of travelling is to see what I wanted to see and not just zoom pass them. 2 months on the road is already my current limit. I shall make a trip specially for southern Xinjiang in the future.

There was 4 XTRs riding from Urumqi to Lhasa and back about the same time we were there. What the government said and what the people do usually is a different thing

I am not going into Kanas this time even though it is about 100km away. Keketohai and the Mongolian border is what I am aiming for. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the warning of road hazards, the camels are much nicer to ran into compare to the Yaks with pointy ends.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #95
franki OP
NB Rider

Hanging out in Lhasa, I like to follow the Lhasa River to check out the local life and view.

Trademark

Had to post one daylight photo of the Putala Palace, taken in bad lighting. The Palace looks great from the outside but since no photo is allowed inside, I have nothing to show.

A typical Tibetan dinner

The red walls of Putala

The white walls of the Putala

The winds of Lhasa

A more deluxe type of Tibetan dinner

My Tibetan friends

How can a traditional Tibetan dinner came without the Barley cakes? (round one)
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #96
GSForLife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:

I am pretty proud of myself making it all the way up here enjoying a view that every Dalilama must see once in their lifetime.

Lake Lamula is renouned for her metal like surface. Though I didn't see my pass or future life from the reflection but it is still a very special lake to me.

Looking at the way we came from atop

These Tibetans have been on their knees the whole day for June & July. In these 2 months they look for a Chinese herbal medicine, that looks liike a worm in the winter and grass in the summer. Their everage income is about USD18,000 for working only 2 months which is a lot compare to the lower living standards in these area where a shop attendant may make only USD200/month.

Ruins

Tent city of the Tibetans collecting the Chinese herbal medicine
Franki,

of all your trip reports in ADVrider thus far, I must say this one takes the cake. At last thru your pics, I have managed to see Lake Lamula (Oracle Lake or Lhamo La-tso) from your lens (rather than thru some cyber sites). Lake Lhamo La-tso is a sacred place for high priest of the Tibetan Lamas to look for pointers/clues when they are searching the next Dalai Lama's incarnation. It is said that the search party will stop at the lake and stay there for a few days. After observing certain rituals & prayers, during early hours in the morning the high priest will see certain images & clues on the lake surface that will point to the direction where the next incarnation is located (see the authorised biography of the 14th Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso "Ancient Wisdom Modern World").

I'd also like to express my gratitude for your invaluable pointers on biking in China and by the grace of karmas, I will meet you one day in China. Thank you for sharing.

Ding
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
GSForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #97
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSForLife
Franki,

of all your trip reports in ADVrider thus far, I must say this one takes the cake. At last thru your pics, I have managed to see Lake Lamula (Oracle Lake or Lhamo La-tso) from your lens (rather than thru some cyber sites). Lake Lhamo La-tso is a sacred place for high priest of the Tibetan Lamas to look for pointers/clues when they are searching the next Dalai Lama's incarnation. It is said that the search party will stop at the lake and stay there for a few days. After observing certain rituals & prayers, during early hours in the morning the high priest will see certain images & clues on the lake surface that will point to the direction where the next incarnation is located (see the authorised biography of the 14th Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso "Ancient Wisdom Modern World").

I'd also like to express my gratitude for your invaluable pointers on biking in China and by the grace of karmas, I will meet you one day in China. Thank you for sharing.

Ding
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Ding,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, this is a trip of a lifetime for me. I have been planning this for 2 years and was rewarded accordingly.

You are absolutely correct about the Lhamo La-tso (tso meaning Lake in Tibetan).

Welcome to China. I will be there waiting.

Franki
Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #98
franki OP
NB Rider

Lake Namu
A good friend came to Lhasa to help celebrate the completion of the first leg of my jounery and we decided to go visit Namutso for a couple of days.

About 230km outside of Lhasa is the scared lake Namutso. To get there we have to ride over a mountain about 5100m. This is the mountain pass and I am pointing at the direction of Namutso.

I think the water level was much high a few throusand years ago.

The Tibetan has an art in making these Mani piles (rocks piled up as an offering to god)

Namutso is renouned for her beauty in changing light condition. Just look at the colour of the water.

It is a very special place for me.

Snow storm passing by on the other side of the lake

I can sit here for hours just looking at the changing lights.

A couple enjoying a romantic walk

The colour of the sky

Last light

The snow storm closed in and we had to retreat back to the 'hotel' to be warmed by by having some yak butter tea.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #99
bigdamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Truly amazing Franki.

Until you have been to that part of the world you just don't know hard it is to get there and how beautiful that part of the world is.
bigdamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #100
5er
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
thanks

franki great RR as allways. thanks for sharing this amasing pics and story
good luck
peter
5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #101
franki OP
NB Rider

We got up before the sunrise. Cold and a bit tired, have to struggle to get out of bed. We were surprised to see what is outside the door. The snow storm last nigh has repackaged Namutso. Snow in June is not unusual here but this is extraordinary to a southern boy like me

First light

The poser strikes again, I hope you are not sick of him yet...more to come

This old man is almost completely blind and he still make his daily trip around the mountain all by himself, what faith, what religious power!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #102
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdamo
Truly amazing Franki.

Until you have been to that part of the world you just don't know hard it is to get there and how beautiful that part of the world is.

Though I have spent quite some time in Tibet already. It will not be the last time. There are too many reasons for me to go back.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #103
franki OP
NB Rider

Bidding freewell, the hotel receptionist seeing me off

One last look at the lake

This is middle of June. When I return to the same spot again in July, it is a very different scene

Down to 4500m, the weather is much friendlier

Back at 3600m, summer is here

The centre of Lhasa

Roof maintenance crew doing their work with beautiful songs - Tibetan Hip Hop

Cool looking kid, cooler than Capt. Kool

Back at the bikers' home, we were welcomed by our friends

This ends the first leg of the 3 part trip report. I flew back to Hong Kong to get parts for Capt. Kool's KTM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #104
franki OP
NB Rider

Ali - via the northern route

20 days later, I returned to Lhasa with all the parts needed and met up with Capt. Kool to get his bike fixed. The journey continues…… The northern route to Ali Region goes through northern part of Tibet, some of the area are no-man’s-land.

We made a big poster posted at the bikers' home for bikers to sign their names

Jon having a dream about Napoleon, what a true adventurer

While having sweet milk tea at a Tibetan tea house (like a road side cafe) an old man came over for a chat. He is a retired civil servant and his son is also a civil sevant. From his mouth, I learnt about he is having an enjoyable retired life and his son is currently taking a holiday in Shanghai. A very nice old man.

While waiting for Capt. Kool's bike to be fixed, I went to visit the Tibet Musuem. It probably is the only place that is free entrance.

Its not very big and I spent half a day there

According to the museum, these are the wild animals found on the northern plateau of Tibet I am scared...

Horsing around the musuem

What is this?...lens cap? does it taste good?

This kid from the next table is certainly not shy about trying on all my stuff.

Finally Capt. Kool's bike has been fixed and we took 200km a test ride to make sure all our bikes are in good working order

We arrived at another sacred lake Yangzhuoyong-tso (羊卓雍措) to take some photos

At 5000m, my bike lost only a bit of power. I guess my setting is alright

Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #105
franki OP
NB Rider

Touched by the beauty of the nature

Panorama view of the sacred lake

This snowy peak does not long like it is 7206m when we stood at 5000m high

How convenient to find the place where neither future nor past can ever come because then, you are in the place where you can truly rejoice. by Maharaji

The weather on high plateau can change in split seconds. The weather god is telling us its time to head back.