Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
marco polo OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Navigator V - Trouble Connecting To Desktop/Laptop

I've got a Nav V and run Basecamp and Garmin Express on both an iMac and a Macbook. Yesterday, I encountered a problem I've never experienced before and I'm looking for help in solving it.

I'm heading off the middle of next week for a five-day road trip, so thought it was a good time to update the maps on the device and the iMac. I did this using Garmin Express (not the latest version). Everything seemed to work fine and I have the latest maps on the device and the computer. However, when I tried to upload routes/waypoints etc. for my trip to the device using Basecamp, it kept failing repeatedly. I'd end up with countless warning windows on the screen of my Mac saying that Basecamp was having trouble communicating with the device. Then, other notifications popped onscreen saying that the device had been improperly ejected. I confirmed with Finder that neither the Nav, nor the device's SD card, were shown, so indeed they had somehow been ejected (I did nothing that would cause this).

The result, of course, is that I cannot load my trip data to my GPS. The Nav's firmware is up to date, by the way.

When I connected the device in order to use it with Basecamp, it seemed to take an inordinate amount of time trying to read the maps on the Nav (as seen on the left-hand window in Basecamp). It never did finish reading the map(s) before ejecting the device and SD card.

Today, I tried connecting the Nav to my Macbook, so I could open Garmin Express and load the latest maps to the MacBook. It did not work. Once again, part way through this process the device was somehow ejected and I got the same ungodly number of warning windows on the computer screen.

To top this all off, I tried updating Garmin Express on my iMac. Said it was successfully updated, but when I try to open the application, it freezes almost immediately. I deleted the application and tried downloading it again from Garmin's site several times. Says it was successful, but I can't open it.

Similarly, I can't use my Nav with Basecamp on my MacBook, as the device/SD card keep getting ejected prematurely. I was, though, able to update Garmin Express and open it on the MacBook. But, it still will not allow me to download the latest maps to the computer, quitting part way through with the same "trouble communicating with device" issues.

I've had the GPS for over a year and never had a problem using it with Basecamp, or Garmin Express.

Anyone have any suggestions?
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
I don't know why your Nav V should be behaving this way (or maybe it's just Basecamp) but I suggest the following.

1. Download and install this small tool ttp://www.javawa.nl/cleaneject_en.html
2. Connect your Nav V to your Mac without launching BC
3. Launch Cleaneject and eject your Nav V
4. Try again as normal with BC

If there is still no joy, you can export your trip data as gpx files from BC (to say, your desktop) and then quit BC. Drag your gpx files to the GPX folder on your Nav V. Then on the device, you should find your tracks/routes in the appropriate app.

To be confident you are getting what you want, you could in BC convert all your routes into tracks and just export those. Then on your device convert the tracks to routes. I do this now whenever I create routes outside BC - eg on one of the excellent route planning sites of which there are now many.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,973
I had this same issue this past weekend...

Make sure BaseCamp is not running. Then Power Off your NAV5 and plug it into your Mac (either). Wait for Finder to mount the NAV5 and browser the NAV5 with Finder just to make sure all is working.

Then, start BaseCamp and wait for it to complete any communications with the NAV5 before you do anything - anything!

Now try sending your data to the NAV5.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
marco polo OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Chris and Dan, I will give your suggestions a whirl.

Addendum: No luck trying these suggestions on the Mac desktop (I did not trying moving GPX files to the device using other than BC at this point). I did, however, discover that there is a software update (3.10) available for the Nav V (I discovered this through Garmin Express when I plugged the device into my MacBook). I installed that update (one of the items listed for the update was something to do with software stability, or similar words). Alas, after updating to 3.10 on my MacBook, then moving it over and connecting it again to my iMac and opening BC, I had the same problems as before (can't seem to finish reading the maps, as seen in the BC left-side window, then unceremoniously ejects it and the SD card, prompting a flood of warning windows to appear from BC and a couple from the Mac).

I'll try now on my MacBook to see what happens.

Well, it didn't go haywire when I hooked it up to the MacBook (MacBook does not have the most up-to-date maps on it; it also has the latest version of Garmin Express and it actually opens, unlike on my Mac). I decided to go ahead and install the latest maps onto the MacBook, so they're the same version as on the Nav V. That seemed to go without a hitch.

Here's a question: when I connect to my iMac and then open BC, it seems to be trying to read two mapsets (at least judging by the icons I see in the left-side BC window under the heading "Garmin Devices". I also noticed (in Garmin Express, when hooked to the MacBook) that my device memory is almost full. Is it possible that I somehwo have two versions of maps loaded on the device, after recently updating them? Bit of a longshot, I know.

Another interesting tidbit: I tried exporting My Collection from BC (on my Mac) to my desktop, so that I could send it over to my MacBook and import it into the laptop, so I'd have the latest data there, since it seems to be working with the Nav V. I couldn't do it -- a dialogue boc popped onscreen from BC saying there wasn't enough memory and that my list was too big. What memory are they talking about? That's never happened before when performing that same operation. And several months ago, I increased RAM on the Mac from 4GB to 8GB. I was, however, able to export the folder for my upcoming trip from BC to my Mac desktop and then over to my MacBook. I was then able to import that data into BC and then successfully transfer that GPX data to the Nav V while connected to my MacBook. The question then becomes, why is none of this working on my Mac?

marco polo screwed with this post 04-14-2015 at 12:14 PM
Old 04-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
Blissed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
BMW Motorrad Navigator V software version 3.10

... dated April 13, 2015
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5969

Also Garmin Express just updated to ver. 4.0.17.0.

Blissed screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 11:26 PM
Blissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
marco polo OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
... dated April 13, 2015
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5969

Also Garmin Express just updated to ver. 4.0.17.0.
Are you talking the Windows version of Garmin Express? I just downloaded the Mac version a minute ago, and it's 4.0.14.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Blissed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Are you talking the Windows version of Garmin Express? I just downloaded the Mac version a minute ago, and it's 4.0.14.
Yes, that was a Garmin Express version for Windows. Apologies for not being specific.
Blissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
pazzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
i had the same problem. Just updated to 4.0.18 today for Mac
pazzo is offline   Reply With Quote