Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
PNWet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Oregon 600T question

I finally got a stand alone GPS, the Garmin Oregon 600T. It's perfect for me for trail riding, exploring, etc. I won't bore you with why I picked that one.

This summer I'll be riding in Eastern Washington, in the areas of parts of the WABDR and Northwest Passage Adventure Route. I've downloaded tracks for each and uploaded them to my Oregon's SD card.

They showed up on my Oregon, but they're each divided into numerous segments. The segments are individually named and all intermingled. It's difficult to tell which segments belong to which track.

Question: is there any way to add a sub-folder to the GPX folder, or some other way to organize this?

Thanks.
PNWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
What works for me when I have different segments of a route or tracks is to name them '001 Home to XXX' , '002 XXX to YYY' etc. then they pop up in order on my list
Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #3
PNWet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg123 View Post
What works for me when I have different segments of a route or tracks is to name them '001 Home to XXX' , '002 XXX to YYY' etc. then they pop up in order on my list
The WABDR, for example, is one GPX file. When loaded onto Oregon, I don't see one track, I see several that are each segments of the WABDR. I assume the data is being extracted by Oregon from the GPX file.

Do I open the GPX file, find the segment, and re-name it?

Edit: I discovered they can be re-named in Base Camp, not by opening the GPX file. I still wish I could group tracks in a folder (then they could be organized however the user sees fit, by month, year, state, country, etc), but without that capability prefacing each one with something each one in that group shares (WABDR, for example) will at least keep them grouped together.

PNWet screwed with this post 03-16-2015 at 09:04 PM
PNWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWet View Post
Question: is there any way to add a sub-folder to the GPX folder, or some other way to organize this?
Yes grouping tracks into separate gpx files is very handy. This works on any new generation unit (62/78/Montana) that takes gpx files.

If your unit did not come with an "Archive" folder in the "gpx" folder in the "Garmin" folder then creat one using File Explorer with GPS connected to PC.

Garmin
.....gpx
.........Favorite
.........Archive

I use MapSource so I don't know how to do it in BaseCamp but, save all the Tracks you want to group into a single gpx file with a name representing the group, do the same with all groups.

Delete or Archive all Favorite Tracks. After you have the groups, just copy them into the Archive Folder again using File Manager. I have no idea if this simple way to manage groups of Tracks can be done with BaseCamp.

Now to use the Tracks in group, go to the Archive folder in the Track Manager and make that group (gpx file) a Favorite. Just those Tracks will now be in the Favorite folder.

The bad news (just another Garmin bad design) is that you can not send the entire group back, you must Delete are Archive each one.

I use this method to give customers several different loop rides each with several Tracks and they just make Favorite the Loop they want to ride each day.