Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
SoilSampleDave OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Money no object, best GPS solution

I'm not loaded with cash, but I have decided to treat finally myself to the GPS solution I have always wanted. Problem is, I have no idea what that is. I want a large screen (I'm getting old) and I really don't want to spend weeks learning software. It is for use on my DS. Biggest use would be for getting "lost" up in the N GA mountains and finding FS roads that I don't already know about. I would like to be able to save a track of where I went and then edit out the wrong turns. Occasionally I would want to use it for trips on paved roads as well. It looks like very few, if any, of the large display Garmin units still offer a hard wired power option. If I bought a 590LM, what additional map packs would I need to accomplish this? If I bought a Montana 600/650, what map packs would I need ot buy to accomplish this?
TIA

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
I've been through a few Garmin units. I recommend the Montana 600 or 650. I wouldn't bother with the 650 myself but if it has the features you want then by all means that's the unit to get. I can personally attest to the toughness of the Montana. It's survived multle get-offs while exploring offroad and even about a 30' toss across a parking lot. What ever unit you get I'd buy some screen savers for it. Easy to put on and it's nice to be able to just peel an old scratched up one off and put a nice clean one on and never mess up the glass on the unit itself.

For map packs I use both the north American street map pack AND the North American topo map pack. The Street map is easier to read both on the GPS and in basecamp. However there are times when I want the detail and trails that the street map does not have.

The basecamp software takes some getting used to. I wish their interface was more like Google when it comes to building routes! Their folder system is nice for grouping tracks and routes.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
duggram
-getting busy living

Oddometer: 118
Delorme inReach Explorer and iPad Mini. I just got the Explorer delivered yesterday with the Mini waterproof case and mounts for both. Thru Bluetooth you can pair the devices and use the Earthmate app for GPS, text messaging anywhere in the world, I've heard also email, and you get a Web page that shows your position. The subscriptions can be month-to-month or annual. There is a thread here on mounting your iPad and the OP on that thread was writing an article about. He had pics and claims the mounting works fine even if you drop your bike. I will have this all operational this weekend and am looking forward to the possibilities.
2008 1125 Buell (former track bike)
duggram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,184
Samsung Galaxy S5 with OSMAnd and LocusPro. I've spent thousands of dollars over the years on Garmins including the Montana, and never been satisfied with any of their units. Had one Delorme unit and it was pretty lame as well. Really happy with the S5, and the android apps are ALWAYAS improving, even in the short time I've been using them.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I'm not loaded with cash, but I have decided to

1) treat finally myself to the GPS solution I have always wanted. Problem is, I have no idea what that is.
2) I want a large screen (I'm getting old) and I
3) really don't want to spend weeks learning software.
4) It is for use on my DS.
5)Biggest use would be for getting "lost" up in the N GA mountains and
6) finding FS roads that I don't already know about.
7) I would like to be able to save a track of where I went a
8) and then edit out the wrong turns.
9) Occasionally I would want to use it for trips on paved roads as well. It looks like
10) very few, if any, of the large display Garmin units still offer a hard wired power option. If I bought a 590LM, what additional map packs would I need to accomplish this?
11) If I bought a Montana 600/650, what map packs would I need ot buy to accomplish this?
TIA

1) you're defining it pretty well here in this thread
2) galaxy note, galaxy tab, galaxy s4/s5, to name a few
3) understood. oruxmaps, osmand, locus/locus pro should get you learning in less than a few hours. there are a LOT of features, but none of it requires hair pulling or teeth gnashing.
4) get a waterproof enclosure, like ram mount or similar, pierce it for a power cord, done
5) sorry, that won't happen much with osmand, locus, oruxmaps... but you can still try ! :)
6) satellite view is very very good for this. download around a route/track you're planning to ride, and go exploring.
7) check, easy peas
8) check, easy peas, in the app, no computer needed
9) check, easy peas, turn by turn navigation works very well, on or offline (mapquest on, brouter off)
10) gave up on standalones, can't help ya there, sorry
11) ditto

keep in mind the larger the screen, the higher the battery drain while it's "ON". the gps antennae really doesn't drain much at all compared to the screen being on. recording a track while riding doesn't need the screen on, and drains very little compared to screen on. the only other huge battery draw is being on the fringe of cellular connectivity. the best thing to do for a cellular enabled device (some tablets are wifi only) is to run in AIRPLANE MODE, to prevent unneeded battery drain.

i've ridden northeast alabama, and some of northwest georgia. excellent, fun, beautiful deserted roads. fun to get lost on, even more fun to come home with a fresh track recorded to share with buddies for the 'next time'. oh, and with an android, you can share that track/route/waypoint/PHOTOwaypoint etc with bluetooth, wifi, no computer needed at all. good luck...

enjoy the ride
Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
Based on my somewhat limited experience I also would recommend a Montana and City Navigator and Topo mapsets.

You can get a mount for the Montana that you can pretty easily hardwire to your bike's battery.

I think you are out of luck about not having to spend much time learning the unit and the support software. Expect a long steep learning curve especially if this is your first foray into the GPS world.

wbbnm screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 08:52 AM
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
SSD,

good to meet you the other day at Windy Gap. I was the one headed out right when you arrived on the 450 along with MrTwisty.

I've been looking at new GPS units for a while. I have a Garmin 276C which many consider to still be one of the better garmin units even though it's been discontinued for a few years now. I love mine but it's got some quirks so I'm in the market for a new GPS shortly as well.

The main unit on my horizon is the Monterra. When it was announced it sounded like the holy grail of GPS units, but it has some serious software issues. Over the past year or so they have had quite a few updates and these days it's much closer to actually reaching it's potential.

the big advantages for me are the android OS. I can do thing like have my gopro remote app on the GPS to control my gopro, all while being hard wired into the bikes with a simple/rugged powered mount (AMPS mount). I can put the mounts on a few bikes and it's easy to swap the unit around.

I've got a buddy with the montana and one with the monterra and with the new updates, I will end up with a Monterra in the near future. I know it's a steep learning curve, but I have been using Basecamp some recently and it's not as bad and there's plenty of "support" here on ADV for any questions you ahve about the monterra or basecamp.

Here's a good link about the Monterra GPS unit and he's got some good reviews on other units on his site as well. See if what it does is compatible with what you want it to do:

http://www.globeriders.com/article_p...monterra.shtml

anyway just throwing it out there, that I think it's one of the top stand alone units on the market now that it's had a few rounds of updates.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
SoilSampleDave OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Good to meet you and Twisty as well. I even went and watched the video you posted . Now that I think about it, I think Kevin and I saw you at the LBL200 last year on your 950R. You kind of stand out on that thing...
Monterra looks like the ticket, but being an engineer, now I will have to read web reviews for the whole weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
SSD,

good to meet you the other day at Windy Gap. I was the one headed out right when you arrived on the 450 along with MrTwisty.

I've been looking at new GPS units for a while. I have a Garmin 276C which many consider to still be one of the better garmin units even though it's been discontinued for a few years now. I love mine but it's got some quirks so I'm in the market for a new GPS shortly as well.

The main unit on my horizon is the Monterra. When it was announced it sounded like the holy grail of GPS units, but it has some serious software issues. Over the past year or so they have had quite a few updates and these days it's much closer to actually reaching it's potential.

the big advantages for me are the android OS. I can do thing like have my gopro remote app on the GPS to control my gopro, all while being hard wired into the bikes with a simple/rugged powered mount (AMPS mount). I can put the mounts on a few bikes and it's easy to swap the unit around.

I've got a buddy with the montana and one with the monterra and with the new updates, I will end up with a Monterra in the near future. I know it's a steep learning curve, but I have been using Basecamp some recently and it's not as bad and there's plenty of "support" here on ADV for any questions you ahve about the monterra or basecamp.

Here's a good link about the Monterra GPS unit and he's got some good reviews on other units on his site as well. See if what it does is compatible with what you want it to do:

http://www.globeriders.com/article_p...monterra.shtml

anyway just throwing it out there, that I think it's one of the top stand alone units on the market now that it's had a few rounds of updates.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
I'd say the Zumo 590 or the Montana 650
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Good to meet you and Twisty as well. I even went and watched the video you posted . Now that I think about it, I think Kevin and I saw you at the LBL200 last year on your 950R. You kind of stand out on that thing...
Monterra looks like the ticket, but being an engineer, now I will have to read web reviews for the whole weekend.
that was me on the 950 at the LBL. I thought I had seen folks there on bigger bike years before but I was the only one I saw on a twin last year. I had ridden part of it three years ago but fell the first morning of the actual ride (we rode for a day or so at Turkey Bay or whatever that ORV area up there is called) and did all sorts of crazy riding, then just fell down and broke my collarbone the first morning. i was on my 450 at the time (I've had the 950 for about 2 years now?). So last year I decided my usual "go big or go home" and decided to ride the 950 at the LBL. how hard can it be? :) It wasn't that bad but I was pretty worn out after saturdays ride. Not sure if I'll take the 450 or 950 this year. will depend upon how much riding I get in between now and then. I actually enjoy riding the 950 at places like Highland Park but it can get tiring after a full day. It's kinda heavy.

I've been looking at the monterra for quite a while (since before they actually came out) but knowing Garmin I didn't want to beta test for them (good plan). It seems like the last big update they had really fixed a lot of the bugs. Now if they just get a few of the smaller kinks out, it can be even better..

but good luck with the reading, it'll drive you nuts!
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Samsung Galaxy S5 with OSMAnd and LocusPro. I've spent thousands of dollars over the years on Garmins including the Montana, and never been satisfied with any of their units. Had one Delorme unit and it was pretty lame as well. Really happy with the S5, and the android apps are ALWAYAS improving, even in the short time I've been using them.
This. With a high quality, waterproof case with a "holster" you can attach to a RAM mount. I only have an S4, but the S5 has a bigger screen, faster processor and better camera. IMO, Osmand beats Garmin's nav ap, and there is no comparison in the quality of the display. I just wonder how the durability will compare. My Oregon has been bulletproof (including a trip through the washing machine) and has never let me down. I hope I can say the same about the Samsung (well, maybe not the washing machine part).

I have this case for my S4: http://www.seidio.com/obex/ It has an available "belt holster" that is very rugged. It took about 5 minutes to mod it to mount to a RAM ball.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 10:25 PM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #12
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I ask myself if the folk recommending phones and phablets only ever ride when there is cloud cover? I find them very hard to use the minute there is any sun in the sky. Granted the screen resolutions are way higher than satnav units but I can mostly see my Garmins easily in anything except directly reflected sunlight and the lower resolution is perfectly adequate for what's being displayed.

In waterproof covers, enclosures etc. it's even harder to see the things.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 AM   #13
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjk View Post
I ask myself if the folk recommending phones and phablets only ever ride when there is cloud cover? I find them very hard to use the minute there is any sun in the sky. Granted the screen resolutions are way higher than satnav units but I can mostly see my Garmins easily in anything except directly reflected sunlight and the lower resolution is perfectly adequate for what's being displayed.

In waterproof covers, enclosures etc. it's even harder to see the things.
My S5 is fine in everything but direct sun, just like my Montana. Both are much better then my Zumo 550. Pretty much can't see it except when it's dark Of course with voice nav including the ability to navigate tracks unlike Garmins, I really don't bother looking at the screen very often.Having the S5 I don't need a cover/enclosure as it's IPX 67 rated. So I don't have any bothersome reflective issues.

I thought about going the Monterra route, but at the end of the day I couldn't see paying 3X what I picked up my S5 for to get Garmin piss poor quality software.

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 06:13 AM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #14
Jproaster
I work too much

Oddometer: 167
Hi Dave.
Hows the research going?

Im new to the gps world and have pondered these things since acquiring my vstrom in Jan. I finally decided to take a chance on an android (gal.s4 w/up to 64 gb internal mem) as a dedicated gps only. Dont need cell service at all, since The idea is to prep off wifi and go.

Bought off ebay; arrived last week.

Anyhow, I'm learning osmand now and Am encouraged that its not rocket science; but, it does take learning time.

My greatest concern will be ruggedness. Will probably opt for protective case and cradle for regular use; will probably utilize BT to a headset with phone in my jacket for rugged stuff- assuming I can trust the voices in my head.

I was ready to spend the money for a garmin; too much negative flak...and I wanted to go garmin to be honest.

Good luck dude.
John
Jproaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,314
To the OP, if you want the best Garmin large (5") screen device for sunlight readable navigating, the zumo 590LM is the right choice. You don't need to purchase additional maps unless but you may want to add some free local trail maps that usually have more up to date dirt-road/forest-roads/logging-roads. The Track handling and along-road Routing are the best in the Garmin lineup. But, it's big.

Comes with bike and auto powered mounts and cables: including a RAM Ball/Arm bike mount.

I haven't written a review on the zumo 590LM but it's software function is very similar to the BMW Navigator V which I have reviewed at this link.

Have fun in making your purchase decision.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote