Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #1
Omerta OP
bimmer me timbers

Oddometer: 14
Question Garmin Zumo 660 LM Power Button Fail

The 990 that I purchased came with a Zumo 660 LM. I have upgraded it to the most recent maps and started playing with basecamp..

One annoying catch, the power button does not work and thus I can only energize the unit via a usb cord or its cradle.

The button has no tactile feedback, it does nothing when I push it. I am assuming that the microswitch inside is broken in some way.

Anyone know where spare parts can be found for this unit?
Omerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:38 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 13,203
Unless something has changed recently, basically, they can't. Garmin doesn't sell them.

There is an opportunity to buy screens and such from China.

Your Garmin option is to do a refurb swap.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
The 990 that I purchased came with a Zumo 660 LM. I have upgraded it to the most recent maps and started playing with basecamp..

One annoying catch, the power button does not work and thus I can only energize the unit via a usb cord or its cradle.

The button has no tactile feedback, it does nothing when I push it. I am assuming that the microswitch inside is broken in some way.

Anyone know where spare parts can be found for this unit?
You might try washing the dirt out from under the switch plate. This device had a rather poor switch design and dust can collect under the plate. Just hold it under a faucet for a minute then blow (no high pressure) around the switch plate to get the excess water/dirt out. You might need to do this a couple of times. Washing off the device this way is a recommended procedure by Garmin.

If that doesn't work, then the switch is dead and you have the option that 9Dave suggested - refurb.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:29 PM   #4
Omerta OP
bimmer me timbers

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You might try washing the dirt out from under the switch plate. This device had a rather poor switch design and dust can collect under the plate. Just hold it under a faucet for a minute then blow (no high pressure) around the switch plate to get the excess water/dirt out. You might need to do this a couple of times. Washing off the device this way is a recommended procedure by Garmin.

If that doesn't work, then the switch is dead and you have the option that 9Dave suggested - refurb.
If the space between the plate and frame were dirty, wouldn't it have the opposite problem and keep cycling the power on and off? I might have to go the refurb route... I'll take it apart first and investigate.
Omerta is offline   Reply With Quote