ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #106
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Coates has one...

Well there you go. If Coates has one, it has to be easy.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #107
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
Well there you go. If Coates has one, it has to be easy.
Jen just busted out laughing when she read this. poor coates!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #108
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Hey guys, trying to find an inexpensive EASY to use GPS and the Nuvi seems like the ticket. But I cannot find the difference between the 200W and the 250W. Anyone know?
Thanks in advance!
Hope you realize its not water proof and jpg viewing is more important than tracks & routes on these models.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #109
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
Hope you realize its not water proof and jpg viewing is more important than tracks & routes on these models.
I do, thanks, and my ever changing mind is thinking Quest 2 now. Too many choices.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #110
Beelzabob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Question

I was looking at the features of the 250 and notice the "motorcycle frinedly section. See below:

<TABLE id=playlist cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR class=even><TD>Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft."): </TD><TD>yes (internal speaker) </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Speech recognition (navigate with voice commands): </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>3D map view: </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route): </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>Auto re-route (fast off-route and detour recalculation): </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Choice of route setup (faster time, shorter distance, off road): </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.): </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>Hands-free calling with Bluetooth® wireless technology: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>FM traffic compatible: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>XM® Navtraffic (includes basic weather) & Radio for U.S. compatible: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>MSN® Direct for U.S. compatible: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>Where Am I? feature (find closest hospitals, police & gas stations, nearest address & intersection): </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Car locator feature (marks position when removed from windshield mount): </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>MP3 player: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Audio book player: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>Picture viewer: </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Configurable vehicle icons (select car-shaped icons for map navigation): </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>World travel clock, currency & measurement converter, calculator: </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Touchscreen: </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>Qwerty or ABC keyboard (choose keyboard layout): </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Remote control: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>FM transmitter: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Headphone jack/audio line-out: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>Dead reckoning: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>Garmin Lock™ (anti-theft feature): </TD><TD>yes </TD></TR><TR class=odd><TD>Motorcycle-friendly: </TD><TD>no </TD></TR><TR class=even><TD>

Question is why not?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Beelzabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #111
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Probably because it's not weather resistant. I've got the 200, and I use it on the bike and in the car. Easy to use, easy to read, reasonable battery life, and it works with gloves on. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but it works great for the price (so far.)

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #112
JCook5003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Garmin Nuvi 660 Help

Hey Guys,

Until I can find a better solution I want to use my Garmin Nuvi 660 as my motorcycle gps, well obviously I dont always want to take the interstate.......

Is there anyway for me to load a custom route into it? I like to map out my route on google maps, but the gps always loads the fastest route?

Maybe this a very dumb question I'm not sure, I know it's a little off topic but hopefully you guys can help me out.
JCook5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #113
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook5003
Hey Guys,

Until I can find a better solution I want to use my Garmin Nuvi 660 as my motorcycle gps, well obviously I dont always want to take the interstate.......

Is there anyway for me to load a custom route into it? I like to map out my route on google maps, but the gps always loads the fastest route?

Maybe this a very dumb question I'm not sure, I know it's a little off topic but hopefully you guys can help me out.
Not a dumb question.

The Nuvi series does not accept routes externally. You can create one on the unit, but there is no way to transfer one to it. If you check the specs it will show '0' in the Routes line.

Sorry.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #114
bombarde
DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Hey Guys,

The Nuvi is brain dead about routes.
bombarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #115
JCook5003
Adventurer

so how do I create a route internally in the unit?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #116
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Quote:
so how do I create a route internally in the unit?
I bet if you look under Routes in the manual, you'll find a complete explanation.

Owner's Manual:
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/1262_OwnersManual.pdf

Quick Reference Guide:
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/1264_QuickReferenceGuide.pdf
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #117
JCook5003
Adventurer

I had previously read the manual the only thing I saw that might remotley come close to creating a route would be to enter the intersection coordinates from google maps and save them each as favorites then every turn set the next intersection as my new destination?

Am I missing something?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #118
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Quote:
I had previously read the manual the only thing I saw that might remotley come close to creating a route would be to enter the intersection coordinates from google maps and save them each as favorites then every turn set the next intersection as my new destination?

Am I missing something?
Where to starts on page 9. It describes how to find (ultimately create a route to) a number of different categories; an address, using the map, entering coordinates, spelling something, etc. When you decide where you're going, the Nuvi calculates a route. A route on a Nuvi can only contain one 'via' intermediate point. Your manual calls it 'Adding a stop to your route'. I assume it has a full version of North America maps installed, so you should be able to find just about any place you can imagine; intersections, motels, restaurants, gas stations, interstate exits and the like.

You can certainly use Google Maps to find coordinates, but it isn't required, since you can use the map on the Nuvi itself for that. Surely not as user-friendly as Google Maps, but it will be worth learning when you're out on the road and not near an internet connection.

If you want to follow a specific path with several intermediate points, I believe your approach will work. It may be the only one that works.

The Nuvi is designed for a fairly simple user experience, so lots of techniques and capabilities we use on other (more ADV friendly) units aren't available. If complex routes is something you need or want, you may find a different model is more to your liking. And since its not waterproof, you need to take some extra precautions when using it on a moto.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #119
JCook5003
Adventurer

That did help a lot, I think my intersection to intersection mapping may be the best.....

Yeah I am going to start researching inexpesive GPS units that allow to upload custom routes.......any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #120
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah I am going to start researching inexpesive GPS units that allow to upload custom routes.......any suggestions?
Everyone here pretty much agrees on the 60 and 76 series as some of the best gps for the money. Excellent route and track handling, lots of moto mounting options , waterproof and run on 12v directly. For more $$ and a larger screen, the 276, 376, 478 series are damn nice units.

All these are ala-carte. You buy the maps, memory card, mounting hardware and power cables seperately.

Zumo's are moto-specific (buttons on the left) and have several models and plenty of features. They come with everything you need to mount and go. StreetPilot 27xx units are now discontinued, but are available for about 20% of their original price. Big screen, pre-loaded maps, waterproof, excellent route handling and good moto mounting options. Not so good; track handling and no battery. You need to buy a moto mount of some sort.

Money will probably be the biggest determinate of your choice. If you're on a KTM 300, you will want a smaller unit. If you ride a GS or something bigger, then you have more room for a larger unit. Lots of folks here have lots of experience with lots of different combinations. Ask.